VOGONS

First post, by AquariaJade

User metadata

Hi:

Found DosBox, love it...I got Day of the Tentacle working on it...

Trying to get Lost files of Sherlock Holmes to work on it, read through a LOT of these forums, still no help...

The problem on LFSH1 is midi sound (music) but no digital sound (SFX and voices). Have tried all of the three choices in sound setup.

The problem on LFSH2 is that I can not even start the game, DosBox just freezes, and I have to close it.

I have WinME, DosBox 6.1, Crystal Audio Sound Driver, HP Pavilion 7867.

Here is the link to my computer specs:

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?r … 45&cat=prodinfo

Anyone else got these two games working?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jade

Reply 1 of 9, by rgriff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes 1 working with DOSBox 0.61 with Soundblaster chosen for both musical and digital device in the games' setup. I didn't change anything in DOSBox.conf except to go fullscreen. Maybe you should check within the game itself to make sure sound is on (use the 'setup' button). I don't have Lost Files 2. I have XP as my OS.

Reply 2 of 9, by Guest

User metadata

I have checked to make sure sound is on, I have tried all the various selections, right now using soundblaster for both midi and digital, and the problem is still there. My sound, by the way, works fine for all sorts of other programs, like winamp and realplayer, so I am pretty sure it is NOT my soundcard not working at all.

Any more suggestions?

Reply 3 of 9, by Guest

User metadata

Question answeredon Lost Files 1!

Surfing around, I found this site:

http://www.geocities.com/sherlockiana/code/se … el_faq_yop.html

"No voice after the intro screen:

The only places there are digitized voices in the game are in the intro, at the train station, and at the end of the game. The reason these are the only places is because the voice files take up very large amounts of memory. "

Now only to fix the Rose Tattoo!

Reply 4 of 9, by rgriff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I was going to say that I get voices in the intro, but none afterward...although the sound effects are randomly placed throughout the story. Good going in solving your problem. I'll have to get the sequel somewhere. After all...the game's afoot!

Reply 5 of 9, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

LFSH2 works on my computer in DOSBox 0.61. Pavilion 7867 has 1GHz, hasn´t it? It may be too slow for the game, it is rather slow (though playable) on my comp with 2.5 GHz and it crashes with the dynamic core. Try to increase the cycles and wait longer. Maybe the game will start eventually.

Reply 6 of 9, by Xanxi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there.

I am digging this very old thread to see if i can get any help from someone.

I have installed Lost files - the serrated scalpel on my rig but can get it to work with sound or music.
The game is working fine with no sound or music, but it just hangs after the EA splash screen and before the title screen if i select soundblaster (using SB Vibra 16) or MT32 (on the SB16). The game seems to work with Adlib/Soundblaster/MT32/Tandy only, or no sound.
Any clue what i should do? The is apparently no way to select IRQ/DMA but i guess that when a card is not greyed out it is recognized by the game.

Reply 7 of 9, by K.A.R.R.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi

just tested my cd version with latest dosbox-x (2022.12.26) running with default settings
except for : aspect=true, emulated cpu speed 486 dx2 66 and fullscreen

works with soundblaster for sfx and music without problems
dosbox-x uses sb16 (base 220, ldma 1, hdma 5, irq7) per default

Reply 8 of 9, by Xanxi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your help K.A.R.R. I have switched my rig from Vibra16 to MK8330 now, and it still freeze before intro, but this time i have a white screen instead of the blinking cursor. Using IRQ5 / base 220 / DMA 1 default setup and the game seems to see my card as SoundBlaster. Perhaps i should try another IRQ, but i am also going to try the Holmes sequel to see if there is any difference.

Reply 9 of 9, by Xanxi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have made some progress. When i choose in the setup program music with MT32 but no sound (soundblaster, adlib not available with my soundcard), game is working fine.
Don't know what kind of SoundBlaster card the game would like (didn't work for me with Vibra16 or MK8330). Will try someday other cards in another computer.
Note that the Roland SC55 playing the game music (second in line in my MIDI chain after the MT32, and was ON when i tried the game), sounds of course quite different but not too bad with some piano.