VOGONS

First post, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello!

New to these forums and thought to post my first hardware issue.

I bought these two motherboards from ebay (2 of many!) sometime ago and they came with no manuals or indication of manufacturer and have since been attempting to modify the cache settings and FSB frequency of the boards, unsuccessfully. They both have the Opti chipset, one a 495XLC and the other, a 495SX.

I have already done some searching on google and found some board variants which are similar... but not quite jumper compatible.

I was hoping with the experience and good eye's of the Vogon members that I may find more information and possibly if i'm luck, jumper settings information. If anyone does recognize these boards or could share any information, I would apprecaite it greatly.

Thanks and regards

Attachments

• OPTi 495XLC.jpg
    Filename
    OPTi 495XLC.jpg
    File size
    55.99 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • OPTi 495SX.jpg
    Filename
    OPTi 495SX.jpg
    File size
    83.76 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 6, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Guide -> DOS is for the discussion of how to get DOS games running on newer systems, not for the hardware itself.
Moved to Marvin, the correct subforum (no worries)

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 2 of 6, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Stiletto,

Thanks for doing that... i'm still getting used to the different forums of the site.

Regards

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why are the batteries still on the boards? 🤣

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 6, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guys,

Thanks for your replies!

Yea the batteries were removed as soon as the boards arrived. Sorry about the pictures, they are unfortunately the only pictures I have at the moment (old ebay ones!) as i'm at work, away from home... soon to be returning where I plan on working on a new build, using one of these boards.

The closest I seem to find looking on my own is this Auva / J-Mark board: -

http://museum.ttrk.ee/th99/m/S-T/31375.htm

also here... http://motherboards.mbarron.net/models/486vlb3/opti495.html

For a while I thought they were DataExpert until I stumbled across a couple schematics online and the 3 VLB's were at the edge of the board instead of the centre like these.

I know the jumpers are difficult to see, though do they resemble any boards you may have seen?

Thanks for your help

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

Reply 6 of 6, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

btw... Mau1wurf1977

I just put 2 and 2 together... You're the guy that made the video on Youtube comparing the LAPC-I and DB50XG on a bunch of games. Was a really good video and instrumental (excuse the pun!) in my decision making... so thanks!