VOGONS

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can 430NX Neptune Chipset support other than Pentium processors?
It says in the Vectra XU 5 manual that these are possible BUS speeds:

External / Internal
60/90
50/75
40/60
66.66/100
60/120
50/100
40/80
66.66/133

It is an Socket 5 multi processor computer. Currently its running two Intel Pentium 1 133MHz system processors.
Would be nice if i could fit in something other like AMD K5 or maybe an WinChip?

OverDrive Pentiums are expensive as hell as I see and there are no Cyrix for this socket.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 1 of 7, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think you can pretty much forget about SMP with non-Intel CPUs on Socket 5 or Socket 7. In theory this might be possible but the chipset would need special support, the normal Intel APICs only support SMP for Intel CPUs. And AFAIK chipsets from other companies don't support SMP.

I don't really understand about all the differences between Socket 5 and Socket 7. If the official limit is P133 than I suppose it is mainly the multipliers. Maybe an adapter exists which would allow you to set a higher multiplier, than you could in the best case you P200 CPUs.

Reply 3 of 7, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The difference between socket 5 and socket 7 is small. I believe the socket 7 current requirements are higher, and it optionally supports split rail CPUs. In theory a P200 can work in a socket 5 if the board supplies enough current and there are jumpers to set the multipliers.

There certainly were non-intel chipsets that supported SMP. I have an opti based SMP system with dual P60s.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 7, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe an adapter exists which would allow you to set a higher multiplier, than you could in the best case you P200 CPUs.

There were some adapters to do just that, though if you're going to look for adapters, it'd make more sense to track down some that do voltage conversion as well, so you could run MMX chips.

But actually for the P166 and P200 non-MMX, as long as you're reasonably handy, you don't even really need an adapter... just find a way to tie the BF1 pin to ground to enable the 2.5X and 3X mulipliers (at the expense of the lower multiplier settings unless you remove the modification). This page gives some more information... it's aimed at IBM PS/2 systems, but the principles are the same.

Reply 6 of 7, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can test my 430NX board to see if it works with AMD and Cyrix CPU's. I have my doubts though as it needs BIOS support. Another thing that has not been mentioned yet is that Socket 7 has one more PIN compared to Socket 5. The AMD K6 utilizes this PIN and thus cannot be used directly in a Socket 5 MB.

Only Intel CPU's can be used as dual CPU config. The ASUS cp55t2d dual CPU board has some useful information:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock7/430 … cp55t2d-143.pdf
It also lists Pentium CPU's by S-Spec of which can be used as DUAL CPU and which has to be used as first/second.

Probably you need two Pentium Overdrive's and/or Turbochip/Powerleap/Evergreen adapters. If the BIOS can handle the Pentium MMX with L2 cache turned on, then that is probably your best bet.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 7 of 7, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are there any 430NX boards out there that support socket4?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium