VOGONS

Reply 40 of 27185, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That would be awesome if you ever the chance to test V2 SLI on such a machine 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 41 of 27185, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Holering wrote:

Wow that is a very nice looking pentium 2 box. The black and green give a striking appearance, and there's no denying how cool a slot pentium 2 goes with that. Major props.

Why the heck isn't there low power consumption legacy hardware? Could you imagine a mobo with pentium 2, geforce mx 200, ram, sound blaster awe64, midi daughterboard, and ram on a single small pcb (or perhaps a single chip)? I've no doubt that it'd be possible in a low power, small form factor at least. Heck Microsoft would benefit from releasing new Windows 9X licenses. Should at least be more beige cases available with black-green displays and big metal keys.

Only retro thing I've done so far is removing my Windows 9X HDD. I'm waiting for an icy dock 5.25" to 3.5" bay with additional 2.5" hdd spaces.

Thank you, sir. I'm hoping to find a correctly colored 3.5" diskette drive (the one that went in that case originally was thrown out for being broken), and a 5.25" diskette drive too.
JEnvOfNl.jpg

The 550W could be a bit overkill, so I wonder if it will generate a lot of heat due to lost efficiency. I know PSUs are less efficient at low-load levels, but that CM one is rated 80 plus Bronze, so it could be alright.

Reply 43 of 27185, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bidding on some 478/775 parts, ordered up a CM Tx2 and two of these:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16835186072

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 44 of 27185, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not really retro, but I just rebuilt my grandmothers PC she was gonna throw away. It was one of those "here take it, it's old and slow" machines. It wasn't that slow before I rebuilt it, just had a bunch of malware and shit on it, but she was dead set on getting a new machine anyways. Here's it's factory specs:

Dell E520:
Pentium 4 (775 Prescott)
1GB DDR2 533
250GB HD
Integrated Graphics
305W Power Supply

Here's its specs now:

Core 2 Duo E6400
4GB DDR2 800
1TB Western Digital Blue
Radeon HD 4830
500W XClio Power Supply

I had to saw off the top half of the video card mounting bracket (because of the BTX form factor on older Optiplex's / Dimensions stuff is upside down) on the Radeon 4830 to make it fit, but after I did that it fits completely snug. Normally it would only take single slot cards, but the heatsink on this MSI branded Radeon takes up just the right amount of room

It's expandable to a Quad Core and 8 GB of ram, but I don't have those on hand at the moment. Right now though it seems to be working out nicely.

Before:
2af891.jpg

After:

wgrynl.png

With the top half of the bracket sawn off, the video card fits PERFECTLY. At the other end it's literally a few millimeters from some capacitors.

Reply 46 of 27185, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
smeezekitty wrote:

P4 is pretty slow but malware surely will load it down.

4 GB RAM and a C2D it will really fly even with new OS/browsers

Well a Ferrari is pretty slow compared to a jet. It's all about perspective really. The Pentium 4 was paired with Windows XP, so after I restored it back to factory and uninstalled a bunch of bloatware, it ran pretty nicely. Not workstation quality these days, but I can still respect it. But yeah now it's cruising.

Reply 47 of 27185, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just cleaned an old Vectra VE (celeron 266, 440 chipset) from inside and out, installed 198 megabyte mem and mounted some good old stuff.
It now has a 10000 rpm 9.1 gigabyte IBM SCSI-disc 😜 and a matrox g400 dual head. Going to be my Win95-Box.
Perhaps it is going to get my Creative Ensonic AudioPCI for the sake of wavetable instead of the Aztech ISA and maby my CT6080 card.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 48 of 27185, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Stripped a hp xw4400 case for a friend to put some 478 p4 goodies into, saving the motherboard for my upcoming 775 Preshott system. Fixed up it's 4600 brother with a HDD, PSU, an OS and pulled a bad chunk of ram. Then I setup an extra case with a 80gb drive, 1gb of DDR and a 2.7ghz Celeron to sell to a friend for $20 running XP. Slowly getting my retro systems Vogons worthy, all of you guys set the bar pretty high with your rigs so posting a unfinished system doesn't seem good enough.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 49 of 27185, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've done a bit of tweaking with the Pentium II box the last few days.

Deleted the second drive partition to make drive letter assignment a bit cleaner (32 + 8 on a 40GB drive, yuck). I had to swap out the disc drive because it was making the most heinous activity noise I've ever heard. The black color kinda ruins the aesthetic, but hopefully it won't be in there forever.
YA53XDOl.jpg

I also added a 5.25 disk drive, and installed the Matrox M3D PowerVR. This involved taking out the RIVA 129 AGP card that was keeping the system alive (at least I thought so for a while, as the Matrox Mystique 220 refused to output video unless the AGP card was installed as well), but it's worked out pretty well.
0xoZhBzl.jpg

I've tested out a few games on the system so far. Matrox Mystique MechWarrior 2 is probably a middle of the road version of Mech2, graphically, and the frame rate isn't spectacular. The worst thing about it is the aggressive LOD system, so the enemy Mech models phase in and out of different polycounts as you zoom in and out, or move around.

Screamer 2 runs a bit choppy at 640x480. The same is true for Quake. I'd love to see a VQuake vs GLQuake vs CrapQuake comparison, maybe if I can get a Verite card I'll do it myself. Or Vetz could...

Reply 50 of 27185, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I've been having some fun with the (now) freeware music software ReBirth on my K6-III system. As it requires DirectSound, it doesn't run on modern PCs, so it's nice to have a system that will run it properly 😀

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 51 of 27185, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have been busy with my Pentium III 550Mhz machine, trying to finish this project.. Its almost done, but i have to do two simple steps..

First i want to made a cut-out for the front fan, because on stock computer case the fan was making to much noise.. I already did tested this fan outside the case and it was really quiet..
So i decided to make a cut-out for the fan..

Picture here:

123msn5.jpg

I made some drill holes to cut it out with a jigsaw.. Because i didnt had one jigsaw i also had to buy one.. I had also had some problems to find the right sawblads for this jigsaw.. I went to the store to find these, but there
assortment wasnt very big and ended up to buy them on ebay as well..

Now i have to wait when i can saw, before that i will remove the components out of this case.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 52 of 27185, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Desoldered components from an old ATX mobo, I needed to get rid of.
Now I have a larger collection of quality capasitors, some voltage regulators and a couple of diodes.
Bought an empty atx case, barebone without psu. And an 90's style desk lamp.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 53 of 27185, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:

Now I have a larger collection of quality capasitors, some voltage regulators and a couple of diodes.
Bought an empty atx case, barebone without psu. And an 90's style desk lamp.

I do the same with non working high damaged battery eaten acid boards.. Or cards that dont have any value.. (like modems / ISDN cards or very very low budget soundcard that came out of an OEM brand computer)
Remove the components and trowing the PCBs away.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 54 of 27185, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

New Voodoo 3-3000 arrived and threw together a fun little build to see how the card looks and feels: C300A @ 450, V3-3000/TV-out, Abit VA6, 384mb ram, Terratec Vortex 1, 80gb 7.2k, CDR, FDD. Nice, but after fooling around with it, it's clearly caught between the V2-SLI rig which does AA in addition to whatever the V3 can do, and the V5 build which does everything better. So not sure what role the V3 can really play in the menagerie. This was expected - the real point of the whole experiment was to get a V3 up and running for the first time. Glide=nice.

On the other hand V3 IQ is very good and doesn't suffer from any of the subtle by-pass cable issues of a V2-SLI setup.

Fun to mess around with this card as it was one of two Voodoo cards I passed on the first time around. in the 90's I went from a Diamond 3D-2000, added a Voodoo 1, upgraded to a V2, skipped the V3 and V4, and finally popped for a V5.

Reply 55 of 27185, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A couple days ago I replaced a blown fan header mosfet on a slot-1 board. First time I've tried this, but eventually I found enough info to be confident I had a good substitute. It worked, but there's 2 of them to replace, and I only managed to salvage 1 good part from the donor board. The other donor mosfet got a leg torn off when I was trying to remove it, so I'll have to find another somewhere else.
The first header was probably blown by the previous owner when the CPU fan seized up. The 2nd header was blown by me when I tried using that CPU without noticing it was seized up. 😒 Frustrating.. but at least now I'm sure it can be fixed.
The datasheet on the original mosfets says they only supported 120mA. Seriously?!

brostenen wrote:

On this note, if you still have the board, might want to check if it uses any of the tiny mosfets next to the fan headers. They turn up dead often enough it would be worth having replacements handy. It can be tricky to find the datasheets because of the shortened labeling though, and without that it would be hard to know where the parts can be used.

Reply 56 of 27185, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sounds awesome. I've still never used a Voodoo, but it's a long term goal. I have a 3500 that came to me by chance, but need to do something about the proprietary connector. At this point I don't even know if it works.

tincup wrote:

New Voodoo 3-3000 arrived and threw together a fun little build to see how the card looks and feels: C300A @ 450, V3-3000/TV-out, Abit VA6, 384mb ram, Terratec Vortex 1, 80gb 7.2k, CDR, FDD. Nice, but after fooling around with it, it's clearly caught between the V2-SLI rig which does AA in addition to whatever the V3 can do, and the V5 build which does everything better. So not sure what role the V3 can really play in the menagerie. This was expected - the real point of the whole experiment was to get a V3 up and running for the first time. Glide=nice.

On the other hand V3 IQ is very good and doesn't suffer from any of the subtle by-pass cable issues of a V2-SLI setup.

Fun to mess around with this card as it was one of two Voodoo cards I passed on the first time around. in the 90's I went from a Diamond 3D-2000, added a Voodoo 1, upgraded to a V2, skipped the V3 and V4, and finally popped for a V5.

Reply 57 of 27185, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tincup wrote:

The benefits are more memory which allows 1600 x 1200 resolutions for example, much better IQ, that is for 2D and 3D and full OpenGL compatibility / no need to muck around with miniGL drivers. Also just 1 card instead of 3.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 58 of 27185, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

The benefits are more memory which allows 1600 x 1200 resolutions for example, much better IQ, that is for 2D and 3D and full OpenGL compatibility / no need to muck around with miniGL drivers. Also just 1 card instead of 3.

The V3 is certainly an attractive single card Glide/2D/OpenGL solution for a mid Pentium build. But with 6 retro boxes jockeying for position on a 4-port KVMA I don't see it displacing the V2-SLI/Rendition 2200. Like the V5500 box I'm keeping it "offline" as more of a reference system, Glide of Last Resort build. The chosen Four:

486 DX2-66, 2mb Cirrus logic, W98/Dos 6.22
P-233, 4mb 3D-2000, 4mb Voodoo 1, W95osr2.5
P3-933, 8mb Rendition 2200, 2x V2/12mb SLI, W95osr2
P4-3.6, 7900GTX/512mb, XP & W98se [nGlide]

So for now, the pure V3/V5 are off to the side...

Reply 59 of 27185, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fixed one of my speakers using 3 small toy speakers (laptop speakers basically).

Pic of the speakers.IMO those speakers look retro,and mine still work.......since 2000!14 years of use and they still sound like new!

[img]sp610-3d-sound-speaker-dtk-computer-slika-32274755.jpg[/img]

Attachments

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB