VOGONS

Common searches

DOSBox-X branch

Topic actions

Reply 560 of 2397, by apollo18

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That was a good suggestion! Unfortunately there was no link between the Daemon drive and the ISO. The result was 3 CD drives in Windows 95. The first two were the mounted ISOs, the third was empty. It seems to use Daemon I would need to add 4 CDs to the Windows 95 image.

Reply 561 of 2397, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Or setup an image with a later version of Win9x that has support for FAT32 for a larger disk image.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 562 of 2397, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, what I meant was: if you try to create six virtual CD drives with Daemon Tools (even without mounting anything on them), does Windows try to stop you one way or another? Because that would also preclude trying to set up six emulated IDE devices via DOSBox.

In terms of actually mounting ISO images on Daemon Tools' virtual drives, I would put three ISO images on one 2 GB hard drive image and three ISO images on a second 2 GB hard drive image, as presumably mounting two large hard drive images wouldn't cause any problems for DOSBox.

Reply 563 of 2397, by SA1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
apollo18 wrote:

Yes, I read that too, but it hasn't worked using ISOs or BIN/CUE versions of the Cds. The console shows the swap but Windows 95 does not see it. I tried both dosbox-x and the latest daum build.

you need to press F5 to refresh the CD list cache so it can detect the newly inserted ISO (or BIN/CUE), this has worked for me.

Reply 564 of 2397, by apollo18

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SA1988 wrote:
apollo18 wrote:

Yes, I read that too, but it hasn't worked using ISOs or BIN/CUE versions of the Cds. The console shows the swap but Windows 95 does not see it. I tried both dosbox-x and the latest daum build.

you need to press F5 to refresh the CD list cache so it can detect the newly inserted ISO (or BIN/CUE), this has worked for me.

I tried that too; I'm afraid that didn't work for me

Reply 565 of 2397, by apollo18

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Well, what I meant was: if you try to create six virtual CD drives with Daemon Tools (even without mounting anything on them), does Windows try to stop you one way or another? Because that would also preclude trying to set up six emulated IDE devices via DOSBox.

In terms of actually mounting ISO images on Daemon Tools' virtual drives, I would put three ISO images on one 2 GB hard drive image and three ISO images on a second 2 GB hard drive image, as presumably mounting two large hard drive images wouldn't cause any problems for DOSBox.

Daemon allows for 4 CDs, but I haven't tried combining that with the two IDE mounts. I guess it would stand to reason that W95 can support at least a tertiary setup (the IDE 1 for the HDs and IDE 2 and 3 for the 4 Daemon drives). Unless Daemon is using some proprietary engine to manage it.

Reply 566 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK. I tried to force Windows 95 to setup a tertiary HDD controller driver. It looks like it only allows for the primary and secondary using the standard driver and it won't let you reconfigure it for any other combination than 1F0h / IRQ14 and 170h / IRQ 15.

I suppose that if I were to add an option to have the IDE controllers show up as a PCI devices we might be able to get Windows 95 to see more than 4 ATA devices and therefore however many CD-ROM drives you want. I'll work on that this weekend unless anyone else here wants to take up that task and submit a patch.

DOSBox-X project: more emulation better accuracy.
DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 567 of 2397, by truth_deleted

User metadata

I appreciate your recent improvements to the video emulation! I've followed the changes carefully.

I wonder whether the person making the IDE request could use the mscdex real mode driver and mount multiple cdrom drives that way. I've never mounted four cdrom drives for regular use, however. 😀 I am also not aware of any games which mandate more than two cdrom drives, or any (typically used) software that does either.

Reply 568 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Updated Github URLs before they get lost in the noise here again:

DOSBox-X: https://github.com/joncampbell123/dosbox-x

DOSLIB source: https://github.com/joncampbell123/doslib
DOSLIB binaries: http://hackipedia.org/Projects/DOSLIB/

DOSLIB2 source: https://github.com/joncampbell123/doslib2
DOSLIB2 binaries: http://hackipedia.org/Projects/DOSLIB2/

I fixed some compiler flags in DOSLIB 16-bit realmode large model builds that may have fixed a whole lot of stability problems (related to whether or not Watcom C assumes SS == DGROUP and the act of calling subroutines from an interrupt handler) and added explicit support for the weird Sound Blaster commands in ESS 688 chipsets. DOSLIB is meant to be a collection of tools, "proof of concept" implementations, and "toy" programs to tweak and twiddle with the hardware. Source code that you can learn from about PC hardware and tools that give you better insight into the PC hardware details. You'll need the same dev system I have with Open Watcom 1.9 and Linux, though my shell scripts also generate .BAT files to enable compiling from DOS and Windows environments. If anyone wants to help with that feel free, there's a LOT of hardware out there 😀

DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 569 of 2397, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could make a page with all of the relevant links and then add a link to that page in your signature.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 570 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just a quick update: I got Windows 95 to talk to the 3rd and 4th IDE controller by adding the IDE controllers to the ISA PnP BIOS device enumeration. Apparently if the standard IDE driver gets the description from the PnP BIOS it will use whatever I/O port it is told to use instead of restricting itself to 0x1F0/0x170 in the non-PnP case.

Attachments

• boot_002.png
    Filename
    boot_002.png
    File size
    20.21 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • boot_001.png
    Filename
    boot_001.png
    File size
    19.21 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • boot_000.png
    Filename
    boot_000.png
    File size
    19.66 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 571 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK: Attaching two CD-ROM ISOs to each IDE controller (except the first), yields 7 CD-ROM drives visible in Windows 95.
Is that enough for your game to run? 😀

imgmount 2 hdd -t hdd -fs none -size 512,63,128,1020 -ide 1m
imgmount d: win95.iso -t iso -fs none -ide 1s
imgmount e: msvc152c.iso -t cdrom -fs none -ide 2m
imgmount f: win95.iso -t iso -fs none -ide 2s
imgmount g: msvc152c.iso -t cdrom -fs none -ide 3m
imgmount h: win95.iso -t iso -fs none -ide 3s
imgmount i: msvc152c.iso -t cdrom -fs none -ide 4m
imgmount j: win95.iso -t iso -fs none -ide 4s
boot -l c

Attachments

• boot_005.png
    Filename
    boot_005.png
    File size
    7.89 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • boot_004.png
    Filename
    boot_004.png
    File size
    5.68 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • boot_003.png
    Filename
    boot_003.png
    File size
    14.29 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 572 of 2397, by apollo18

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheGreatCodeholio wrote:
OK: Attaching two CD-ROM ISOs to each IDE controller (except the first), yields 7 CD-ROM drives visible in Windows 95. Is that e […]
Show full quote

OK: Attaching two CD-ROM ISOs to each IDE controller (except the first), yields 7 CD-ROM drives visible in Windows 95.

boot -l c

This looks great! So far I've been able to add drives 3 and 4. I'm getting stuck on 5 and 6. Dumb question -- can I use any non-conflicting settings or should I try to use yours? I'm guessing the former?

Reply 573 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
apollo18 wrote:
TheGreatCodeholio wrote:
OK: Attaching two CD-ROM ISOs to each IDE controller (except the first), yields 7 CD-ROM drives visible in Windows 95. Is that e […]
Show full quote

boot -l c

This looks great! So far I've been able to add drives 3 and 4. I'm getting stuck on 5 and 6. Dumb question -- can I use any non-conflicting settings or should I try to use yours? I'm guessing the former?

You will need the latest commit that I just pushed, and then you will need to enable the teritary/quaternary IDE controllers (they are now disabled by default unless you enable them). After that, any non-conflicting settings should work. That includes the IRQ---Windows 95 won't touch it if the IRQ conflicts with another controller, or any other ISA device. For the teritary and quaternary stick with the default base I/O 1E8/168 and IRQ 11/10 and it should work.

Reply 574 of 2397, by apollo18

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using the daum build from January. I'm guessing I have 4 CD-ROMs because I'm using only the first two controllers, right? I would need to use your build to enable 3 and 4?

Attachments

• test.jpg
    Filename
    test.jpg
    File size
    109.38 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 575 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
apollo18 wrote:

I'm using the daum build from January. I'm guessing I have 4 CD-ROMs because I'm using only the first two controllers, right? I would need to use your build to enable 3 and 4?

Yes. The code has been there for the 3rd and 4th IDE controllers, but Windows 95 ignores them by default. What I did just now to make them work with Windows 95, is add code to enumerate them when Windows 95 calls the ISA PnP BIOS. Windows 95 will only pay attention to the 3rd and 4th IDE controllers if told to by the PnP BIOS.

On a related note, the latest push increases the IDE controller count to 8, and the CD-ROM drive count to 16.
You have to do some sacrifices like removing parallel and serial ports to free up enough IRQs, but it's possible to have 8 IDE controllers now.
Unfortunately, beyond the first 4 IDE controllers the MS-DOS CD-ROM driver I'm using doesn't bother to detect them, but Windows 95 is able to deal with it.

[ide, primary]
enable=true
int13fakeio=true
int13fakev86io=true
cd-rom spinup time=0
cd-rom spindown timeout=0
cd-rom insertion delay=0

[ide, secondary]
enable=true
int13fakeio=false
int13fakev86io=false
cd-rom spinup time=0
cd-rom insertion delay=0

[ide, tertiary]
enable=true
int13fakeio=false
int13fakev86io=false
cd-rom spinup time=0
cd-rom insertion delay=0

[ide, quaternary]
enable=true
int13fakeio=false
int13fakev86io=false
cd-rom spinup time=0
cd-rom insertion delay=0

[ide, quinternary]
enable=true
int13fakeio=false
int13fakev86io=false
cd-rom spinup time=0
cd-rom insertion delay=0
irq=9
io=140
altio=148

[ide, sexternary]
enable=true
int13fakeio=false
int13fakev86io=false
cd-rom spinup time=0
cd-rom insertion delay=0
irq=7
io=150
altio=158

[ide, septernary]
enable=true
int13fakeio=false
int13fakev86io=false
cd-rom spinup time=0
Show last 37 lines
cd-rom insertion delay=0
irq=4
io=130
altio=13C

[ide, octernary]
enable=true
int13fakeio=false
int13fakev86io=false
cd-rom spinup time=0
cd-rom insertion delay=0
irq=3
io=120
altio=12E

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
# You can put your MOUNT lines here.
imgmount k: msvc152c.iso -t cdrom -fs none -ide 5m
imgmount l: win95.iso -t iso -fs none -ide 5s
imgmount m: msvc152c.iso -t cdrom -fs none -ide 6m
imgmount n: win95.iso -t iso -fs none -ide 6s
imgmount o: msvc152c.iso -t cdrom -fs none -ide 7m
imgmount p: win95.iso -t iso -fs none -ide 7s
imgmount q: msvc152c.iso -t cdrom -fs none -ide 8m
imgmount r: win95.iso -t iso -fs none -ide 8s
boot -l c

Attachments

• boot_006.png
    Filename
    boot_006.png
    File size
    17.21 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by TheGreatCodeholio on 2014-07-18, 00:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 576 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Again, Daum's build is based on an older version of my IDE code and it lacks a lot of the improvements I've added since.

Reply 577 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hahahahahaha! And BTW, that was commit number 666!

I just noticed that.

Hopefully my branch is not cursed by the Number of the Beast.

Attachments

• commit666.jpg
    Filename
    commit666.jpg
    File size
    27.82 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 579 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
apollo18 wrote:

I'm on the page, but I don't see a download link. The 666 must have blinded me.

😀

At the moment if you want to try it you'll need to compile it from source code. I don't have any Win32 releases on Github. The Win32 releases on Hackipedia are too old relative to this update.