VOGONS

First post, by alex.schroedsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

dune-game-cover.jpg
I have made recordings of the soundtrack of Dune (haha, as if anyone on the entirety of vogons does not have access to an OPL3 card). I consider these recordings to be the best I've done of the Dune Soundtrack and possibly more clear than other recordings of the Dune soundtrack found on the internet prior to this (Cloudschatze's recordings are very good, tis a shame that they are lossy {*wink* *wink* Cloudschatze} I wish he would upload lossless copies with the reverb module). I consider myself to be an audiophile, casual gamer and legacy system builder and programmer and game designer and sound editor blah blah blah. Anyways, I have been working on my system for recording OPL3 on and off for the past 2 and a half years or so. I give you a product of the best of dozens of computer configurations and probably 6-8 ymf262-m based sound cards: https://archive.org/details/DUNE_SOUNDTRACK and https://ia902302.us.archive.org/4/items/DUNE_SOUNDTRACK/ My rig (for these recordings) consists of a computer with compact flash cards for hard-drive and a "modded" Cardinal SoundVision. The computer also has a OPTi82C931 and CS4235-KQ. The other two cards are not very good for being "close to" a ymf262-m (duh, sorry if this is patronizing) but I do enjoy their MIDI instruments. Below are pictures of the modded SoundVision before I improved the grounding: Cardinal_SoundVision-RCA-OUT-MOD_0.JPG Cardinal_SoundVision-RCA-OUT-MOD_1.JPG Cardinal_SoundVision-RCA-OUT-MOD_2.JPG

Reply 1 of 8, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nice recordings, they are indeed very clear!
why did you chose that card to record from? anything special? and the rca mod , is it more than 2 rca jacks? 😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 8, by alex.schroedsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply keropi,

keropi wrote:

why did you chose that card to record from? anything special?

The reason why I used the Cardinal SoundVision is because it does not have a PCM or mixer driver in windows 98-SE, this results in only the un-mixed, un-attenuated signal from the ymf262-m/yac512. The result is very beautiful as you have heard.

keropi wrote:

and the rca mod , is it more than 2 rca jacks? 😊

Only 2 RCA jacks on this card, I haven't done anything to the other two cards {yet} (the crystal chip is onboard). The main reason for those RCA jacks is for improved sturdiness, the 3.5mm is placed close to the bottom of the slot and makes it difficult to plug in a big bulky shielded cable and I enjoy modding things.

Last edited by alex.schroedsen on 2014-08-07, 19:02. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 3 of 8, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you so much for this, I absolutely love this game's music.

I also like KGB and Mega Race 1, Stéphane Picq is a very talented musician.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 4 of 8, by alex.schroedsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply DracoNihil,

DracoNihil wrote:

Thank you so much for this, I absolutely love this game's music.

I also like KGB and Mega Race 1, Stéphane Picq is a very talented musician.

You're very welcome, I hoped that people would actually care about this and I thought that vogons is the best place for it. Perhaps I'll get Mega Race and KGB's soundtracks uploaded here too. Now we (I have already, we'll see what response I get) just need to hound Cloudschatze for lossless copies of the Dune (AdLib Gold with reverb module) and the AdLib Visual Composer 2 (AdLib Gold) recordings in lossless quality. Stéphane Picq is definitely on my favorite musicians list.

Reply 5 of 8, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These are excellent recordings, thanks for sharing them. I assume they were recorded using the standard Sound Blaster music setting in Dune's setup?

The recordings I've listened to so far don't seem to have much/any stereo panning. Is there any advantage to using the patch that allows the use of the Adlib Gold FM tracks on a normal OPL3-based card?
I believe the Adlib Gold tracks have panning commands.

Reply 6 of 8, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alex.schroedsen wrote:

Now we...just need to hound Cloudschatze for lossless copies of the Dune...

Digital captures would be ideal, and outside of this particular title, I'd simply grab the S/PDIF output from a CT1747-bearing AWE32 card and present that.

The problem with Dune, however, is that faithful reproduction of its soundtrack requires an actual Ad Lib Gold card, due to exclusive use of both the onboard Philips TDA8425, and the expansion-based Yamaha YM7128. Since both of these chips operate solely in the analog domain, we're stuck with needing to capture the analog output...

My original Dune (and VC2) recordings were done at 16-bit/44.1kHz, which never seemed adequate to me, and for which I've wanted to go back and capture 24-bit/88.2kHz recordings instead. So, while I no longer have the original WAV file recordings, I'd be hesitant to share them for this reason besides. I think I'll use your interest as an impetus to get new recordings taken.

Perhaps I'll get Mega Race and KGB's soundtracks uploaded here too.

Two years back, I went through the exercise of recording the KGB soundtrack using the Ad Lib Gold card. Unlike Dune, KGB has no unique/native support for the extra features of the Ad Lib Gold, so I took the liberty of applying some of the same EQ and effect settings that Picq used for Dune. I briefly posted MP3 conversions of these recordings on the QuestStudios forum, but a problem with KGB's music driver (specific to the floppy version) bothered me enough to scrap the entire completed project. I do still have those (16-bit/44.1kHz) WAV files though. Here's one of the MP3 conversions to give you an idea:

http://www.symphoniae.com/soundcard/Ad_Lib/GO … GB/BUROKRAT.mp3

Reply 7 of 8, by alex.schroedsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cloudschatze wrote:

I think I'll use your interest as an impetus to get new recordings taken.

YES!!!! I have been waiting for a "good" copy of these tunes for a long time!!! Thank you soooooooo much Cloudschatze! I can't wait to hear the AdLib Gold recordings in 24/88.2!!! Just curious, what sound card/ADC will you use for the recordings? Will you also take 24/88.2 recordings of the AdLib Visual Composer 2 sample files? pleeease?

Cloudschatze wrote:

Digital captures would be ideal, and outside of this particular title, I'd simply grab the S/PDIF output from a CT1747-bearing AWE32 card and present that.

Spectacular idea! I have a ymf754b with 48 kHz S/PDIF out (which I use with a TDA1541A DAC), but while bit-perfect... I feel like there is something missing, like a compact disk versus vinyl record. I know this may sound crazy, but if I had the ability to do the digital recordings: I would take both a direct digital and D/A->A/D recording seeing as the AdLib Gold has such a clean output. While a CD quality digital signal is great, I feel like the ymf262-m(yac512) or in your case, the CT1747 has more to offer (more than 16/48, I have some recordings that have recorded frequencies of up to full 96 kHz on the ymf262-m(yac512). I realize that 96 kHz might be seen as excessive and we humans can only hear frequencies to 22 kHz (44 kHz must be recorded via. Nyquist theorem) in the best case scenario: but I like making these "overkill" recordings, I can then slow them down and listen to the supersonic frequencies). The only reason I did not do 24/96 or 24/192 was a convenience thing, I didn't want to tear apart my system for that, I figure most people do not care about supersonic frequencies anyways.

Last edited by alex.schroedsen on 2014-08-09, 03:39. Edited 6 times in total.

Reply 8 of 8, by alex.schroedsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bjt wrote:

These are excellent recordings, thanks for sharing them. I assume they were recorded using the standard Sound Blaster music setting in Dune's setup?

The recordings I've listened to so far don't seem to have much/any stereo panning. Is there any advantage to using the patch that allows the use of the Adlib Gold FM tracks on a normal OPL3-based card?
I believe the Adlib Gold tracks have panning commands.

Thanks bjt, for the pointer to the AdLib Gold FM patch and the compliment! I'll check out that patch... perhaps make another recording with it.