Rank Newbie
Rank

This might tell some more about the computer

Reply 21 of 23, by CPX7700

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
somedude192 wrote:
I have found a old computer I think its a 386DX,can anyone tell me more about it,and what is the best OS I can install on it and […]
Show full quote

I have found a old computer I think its a 386DX,can anyone tell me more about it,and what is the best OS I can install on it and how,

Can I put a cd-rom in it ? 😕

Also I made a bootable diskette (3.5),but the pc wants to boot from the larger one which is drive A,how would I change it to boot from B drive ?

IMG1000.jpg
IMG987.jpg

I think I saw your machine on the retro thread on 4chan's /g/, If I'm not mistaken. This is a great machine. WfW 3.11 is just Windows 3.1 with more features so I also recommend it.

Reply 22 of 23, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Definitely - if you can get WfW, then that adds 32BFA (vcache) to the 32BDA that plain Win 3.11 has - also the MS TCP/IP stack is only available for WfW - those are the two things that make it stand out.

PS. for Win3.1/11/WfW 3.11, I'd also recommend taking a look at Calmira http://www.calmira.net/ - an alternative front end with looks ranging from Win9x to XP and Vista

Reply 23 of 23, by somedude192

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CPX7700 wrote:
somedude192 wrote:
I have found a old computer I think its a 386DX,can anyone tell me more about it,and what is the best OS I can install on it and […]
Show full quote

I have found a old computer I think its a 386DX,can anyone tell me more about it,and what is the best OS I can install on it and how,

Can I put a cd-rom in it ? 😕

Also I made a bootable diskette (3.5),but the pc wants to boot from the larger one which is drive A,how would I change it to boot from B drive ?

IMG1000.jpg
IMG987.jpg

I think I saw your machine on the retro thread on 4chan's /g/, If I'm not mistaken. This is a great machine. WfW 3.11 is just Windows 3.1 with more features so I also recommend it.

yup that was me,so you also browse /g/ ?