VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by CPX7700

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I got Windows NT 3.51 installed in a VM a while ago and, to my surprise, Unreal, Unreal Tournament, and Deus Ex all work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPy1XKq0Dog
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRS1UU8QPc8
I might try Nerf Arena Blast some time. I also have a copy of Dr. Brain: Action Reaction, which uses the Unreal engine.
To get these games to work, download the IMM32.DLL from Windows NT 4 and paste it into your system32 folder. The games will work in software rendering. In theory you could get some OpenGL support if you had a decent card with NT 3.51 drivers, but don't expect much.

Reply 1 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Arrghh don't do this to me I don't need to add another OS to my compatibility list. heh

Can't remember if the additions for vmware support OpenGL for NT3.51/NT4 guests but I'd imagine that even if it did it would be alot slower than NT4 due to video drivers being in user mode.

I do have some old laptops with Rage video cards that should support NT3.51 fine but it's nowhere near a priority for me.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 11, by CPX7700

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

I've seen this on one of Nathan's Sick Windows Tricks once.

Yeah, I emailed that to him. It's on the Sick Windows Tricks 3 page. On VirtualBox I actually get a decent framerate on most of these games. I heard a passing comment on one forum that Quake 3 can be tricked into running on NT 3.51. That isn't an option because there's no way I could get OpenGL working.

Reply 5 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not even by dropping a Silicon Graphics for Windows/Cosmo Player opengl.dll/cosmord11.dll into the Q3 folder renaming it to opengl32.dll for functional but slow software rendering?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 11, by CPX7700

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Not even by dropping a Silicon Graphics for Windows/Cosmo Player opengl.dll/cosmord11.dll into the Q3 folder renaming it to opengl32.dll for functional but slow software rendering?

I suppose that would work for OpenGL, but it refuses to run if it detects a version of Windows NT < 4. WinQuake and Quake II do the same thing. Besides, all of the Unreal engine games are actually playable with a decent frame rate. I don't think there is any way you could do the same with Quake 3.

Reply 7 of 11, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember wanting to try this ever since I saw it on ToastyTech. I'm actually somewhat surprised sound works, given the lack of DirectX in NT 3.51.

Reply 8 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Generally these refined game engines have GDI and Waveout fallbacks for lack fo DirectX, Quake included

though in quake's case there's a hard version check against anything under version 4. Is there anything like KernelEx or Compatibiltiy mode to fake that for 3.51?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Everything I'm reading is saying that on 3.51/NT4 Directsound is emulated then outputted using MME.

Guess we could ask Raymond (oldnewthing)

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 10 of 11, by Grunt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2014-09-04, 23:29:

though in quake's case there's a hard version check against anything under version 4.

You are right:

if (!GetVersionEx (&vinfo))
Sys_Error ("Couldn't get OS info");

if (vinfo.dwMajorVersion < 4)
Sys_Error ("Quake2 requires windows version 4 or greater");
if (vinfo.dwPlatformId == VER_PLATFORM_WIN32s)
Sys_Error ("Quake2 doesn't run on Win32s");
else if ( vinfo.dwPlatformId == VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_WINDOWS )
s_win95 = true;

Any idea why that might be?

Reply 11 of 11, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's called not supporting the OS if there's no good reason to from the business perspective (usually).

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.