VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey all, I was wondering if you guys knew of any other games that would fall into the kind of iconic gritty look of late 90's / early 2000's cyberpunk games.
Here are some examples of what I mean since it's kind of hard to describe but there is just something about these games that is just gritty and yet bizarre. I mean the settings are usually very dark and sort of surreal but invariably everything is techy and yet incredibly run down and rusty. I really don't know many that are like this so hopefully you guys can turn me onto some.

anachronox_1.jpg
Anachronox (2001)

387551.jpg
Omikron The Nomad Soul (2000)

887_4f2ac3f10acdc.jpg
P.O.D. (1997)

These pictures really don't do these games justice, to get a real idea you kind of have to watch some game footage or go play it. Hopefully some of you know what I mean though.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1 of 29, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

MDK2, more so than the first game especially in the later levels

Also FarCry 3 Blood Dragon, which tries to be '1980 vhs cyberpunk' inspired by Blade Runner and Terminator, but ends up looking like a HD version of a 1999-2000 cyberpunk game.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 29, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

- Project Eden
- G-Police
- Crime Killer
- Half-Life 2
- Wild 9
- EYE Divine Cybermancy
- Enter the Matrix
- Blood Omen 2

And to a lesser extent:

- BioShock series
- Fallout series
- VTM Bloodlines

and because it stood out in the title, but isn't all that important: it's "aesthetic." 😊

Reply 5 of 29, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣 I suspected I had spelled it wrong but it was 2AM so I was too lazy to check. Cool thanks for all the suggestions!

Last edited by King_Corduroy on 2014-09-06, 17:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 29, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

🤣 I suspected I had spelled it wrong but it was 2AM so I was too lazy to check.

Yeah it wasn't all that important either way - just kind of stood out first-thing in the morning. 😊 🤣

Another game or two you might also look at:

- Freelancer
- Earth & Beyond (still actually online, albeit unofficially)

Reply 12 of 29, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is a game on an old shareware CD I have called "BHunter" that's kinda like Crime Cities:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/bhunter

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 17 of 29, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh man I love all these suggestions! I'm definitely looking for Bhunter and Space Haste 2. Crime Hunter looks very Blade Runnerish, I'm definitely going to have to keep and eye out for that one too. BASS was a wonderful game, I've already played it though.

Reply 18 of 29, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Also, Ballistic could fit in that stylistic category:

1349708-ballistics_4.jpg

But it's not necessarily something I'd recommend if you're looking for a fun racer. What it is is basically a tech demo. The game only features two tracks and the gameplay leaves much to be desired.

Then again, I can't remember any other racing games in which you can go this insanely fast. I kid you not, you can actually go supersonic and beyond. And you can feel it too.