Windows 10 Technical Preview

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 84, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

I was hoping all that collection fear would deter 'brag testers' (those who flaunt their personalized desktop screenshots of an unreleased OS for a superiority complex, instead of.... you know, testing and evaluating)

From where i've seen, it didn't.

I think it would have to take things a few steps further, like starting a fire in outer space, to really deter that... 😵 🤣

Reply 61 of 84, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Yasashii wrote:

Well I don't know what kind of a machine you were running it on but on my ancient (by today's terms) computer it ran perfectly smooth on Windows 7 and stuttered like crazy on Windows 8.

Or maybe Microsoft fixed the dwm.exe problem in an update, I don't know, I haven't been following the news on that lately.

Can you start a new thread about this so we can test?

I've never noticed the issue myself but I haven't done much Windows 8 compat testing and currently I'm testing all of the games on my list using WARP in Windows 8 and in WARP all games are slow.

Found this: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/post.php? … 77&post=1202630

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 62 of 84, by TwOne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some clever friends of me got Windows 10 running in a VMWare machine. However, you need to enable Intel VT-x in your BIOS if you have it. The requirements look like a lucky Pentium III could still run it, but the requirements are too "blurry", because I think it'd need newer instructions.
In VMware it runs fine on just 1GB. So far it didn't look much different than Win8.1, but with a start menu. Well, it's still a preview.

A 90's kid reliving the 90's.
Win8.1: Core i5-4200H, GeForce 840M 2GB, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
Win7: Athlon II X2 220, GeForce GT 610 1GB, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD
WinXP: Pentium 4 HT 3GHz, GeForce2 GTS 32MB, 1.5GB RAM, 20+80GB HDDs

Reply 63 of 84, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TwOne wrote:

Some clever friends of me got Windows 10 running in a VMWare machine. However, you need to enable Intel VT-x in your BIOS if you have it. The requirements look like a lucky Pentium III could still run it, but the requirements are too "blurry", because I think it'd need newer instructions.
In VMware it runs fine on just 1GB. So far it didn't look much different than Win8.1, but with a start menu. Well, it's still a preview.

I think since Windows 8 they've required SSE2, so that kills a P3 (and AthlonXP too), but yes an otherwise similarly performing Pentium 4 should work (based on Vista/7/8's requirements). I know there's also some browsers and whatnot that've started to move to SSE2 as their base requirements, so even if you can get Windows to work with a P3, there's going to be limits on it elsewhere too.

Reply 64 of 84, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The majority of Pentium 4 CPUs will not work due to missing NX bit support. Only some Prescott and all Cedar Mill models have it.

Windows 10? Well, it's rebranded Windows 8.2.

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 65 of 84, by almightyjustin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anyone tried running old games on it yet? Apparently Microsoft has been pretty responsive about fixing compatibility issues reported to them this time around, so now's your chance to get them to un-break some classics 😀

Swim, swim, hungry! Stupid fish.

Reply 66 of 84, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
2fort5r wrote:

Someone at Microsoft doesn't like the number 9?

window 7 ate 9.

also OS "X" is roman numerals for OS 10. OS 10 and windows 10. the funny thing is windows 8 is terrible attempt to copy osx's touch/desktop interface. windows 8 is like an i pad where as osx combine the touch screen ui and dekstop ui nearly smeelessly at least as far as mac stuff goes since they don't have a start menu.

Reply 67 of 84, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So far I like 10. I still don't like it better than 7, but it is so far beyond windows 8. The flat theme annoys me a bit, as it is hard to find where some buttons and clickable elements are. You practically need to hover on them to find them. Metro apps in desktop Windows are okay. Some of them are not fully re-sizable, the Twitter app for instance. I can see how some of the live tiles on the Start menu could be handy, but, not if they drag the system performance down.

At least the whole thing feels more like a desktop now.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 68 of 84, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
miljo wrote:
Not yet. According to this post on the developer blog […]
Show full quote
DosFreak wrote:

Does it come with DX12 yet?

Not yet. According to this post on the developer blog

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/directx/archive/2014/ … windows-10.aspx

DirectX 12 will ship when Windows 10 ships.

That only makes sense. One of the big draws of 10 is going to be DX12. It would harm sales if there was a free version with DX12 floating around.

Reply 71 of 84, by miljo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's probably not a bad idea to read up on how the Windows kernel works since there seems to be some confusion as to what's actually happening between Windows versions.

Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and now 10 are all based on the 6.x kernel. The changes to the user and application space are what set them apart and, unfortunately, the vast majority of issues occur here.

Fortunately, the "heavy lifting" as it were occurs in the kernel, and the slow and steady development in this space that allows us to have fairly rock solid hardware support.

It's a good thing the kernel developers don't take the risks the user and application space developers do or we'd be in a world of hurt every time a new "version" of Windows was released.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Mi … indows_versions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architecture_of_Windows_NT

Reply 73 of 84, by Good Ol' TarviS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Yasashii wrote:

On Windows 7 dwm.exe adjusted itself according to the application. On Windows 8 and 8.1 it does not. As a result you will often get poor performance when playing old games and even some new ones due to the incompatibility of the video mode or something or other. The bottom line is that it made Win 8 useless as a gaming system.

That's not it. In fact, Windows 7's "adjusting according to the application" is what caused the palette issues with 8-bit video modes. That doesn't happen in Windows 8.

The reason for the slow performance is that there seems to be some kind of DirectDraw emulation going on for DX7 and lower. It happens in games as recent as Unreal Tournament's D3D renderer, even. OpenGL renderers are unaffected. I think, using either certain AppCompatFlags in the registry or some option in aqrit's ddrwapper it can be disabled, but I'm not positive.

The downside is it makes <DX7 games run at about 20FPS across the board, the upside is being slow is actually good for certain troublesome games like Jedi Knight or Mechwarrior 3.

I'm going to see if this is still true for Windows 10. I suspect it to be.

Reply 74 of 84, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I installed Windows 10 technical preview on a spare hard drive in my main rig.
First impression is that the Windows Setup experience is the WORST I have ever had.
It required the creation of a Microsoft account including my full name and date of birth.
This trend of requiring always-online is becoming alarming. It also "recommended" creating
a Microsoft cloud drive (no thanks!)

Once it booted, it was a little better. But it is clearly a mobile OS. Using terms like "swipe"
I am glad the start menu is back from 8 but it has things like news and other things that should
never be on it. The concept of "apps" is also silly.

I also don't like having to sign into my Microsoft account in order to log into my computer

I know my system isn't the fastest in the world but it also seems slow. It doesn't seem much
faster than my 7 year old Vista installation.

Reply 77 of 84, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok sorry I didn't realize there was already a thread here.

->http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/07/micros … dows-10-preview

That's great. Even more disturbing is the amount of people trying to justify it.
Logging what people do in general (what programs they run and how they interact with the OS is one thing) but key logging is out of line

Reply 78 of 84, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
smeezekitty wrote:

It required the creation of a Microsoft account including my full name and date of birth.

There's a small text link beneath the "Next" button that says "I don't want to use a Microsoft account". Exactly the same as Windows 8.1.

smeezekitty wrote:

Even more disturbing is the amount of people trying to justify it.
Logging what people do in general (what programs they run and how they interact with the OS is one thing) but key logging is out of line

Meh.

If you don't want your keystrokes logged, don't use a "Technical Preview" OS.

It's not like they're secretive or deceptive about it. They want to know how people use the keyboard, so they can, for example, make autocorrect and autocomplete more useful.

There's nothing to "justify" really. It is what it is. If you don't like it, nobody's forcing you to use it, stick with your retail "not specifically designed to gauge user interaction" OS.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 79 of 84, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's a small text link beneath the "Next" button that says "I don't want to use a Microsoft account". Exactly the same as Windows 8.1.

Really? I didn't see one

Meh. […]
Show full quote

Meh.

If you don't want your keystrokes logged, don't use a "Technical Preview" OS.

It's not like they're secretive or deceptive about it. They want to know how people use the keyboard, so they can, for example, make autocorrect and autocomplete more useful.

There's nothing to "justify" really. It is what it is. If you don't like it, nobody's forcing you to use it, stick with your retail "not specifically designed to gauge user interaction" OS.

But it shouldn't be like that. You should be allowed to evaluate it in a less invasive way.
And who is to say the code doesn't stay in it in the final release. I don't buy that "justification"