VOGONS

Research Application ASYST DIR command

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by research_tech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to get an old scientific/research program called ASYST by Software Technologies, INC. (Macmillan Software Company) to function in a new windows 7 computer for a research technician. I used DOSBox and the program seems to run, but is having an issue with one of its commands. It uses a DIR command similar to DOS itself, but when using this command within the ASYST program it displays "0 File(s), 0 bytes used" when it should show the files in the directory. I am able to see the files in a regular DOS window using the DOS DIR command, and I am also able to see the files doing a DIR command from within DOSBox after mounting the drive (but prior to launching the ASYST program).

I have a suspicion that the ASYST program is having trouble seeing files on a mounted drive. Is there some configuration I am missing? I looked through the help files, and FAQ's but I have not found information to help in the matter. Any ideas?

Reply 2 of 5, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOSBox targets only the functionality required for games, pure luck if other things work.

You could try installing FreeDOS in a Virtualbox session, but Virtualbox is also not guaranteed to support a DOS environment - or if it can't get along with virtualization at all, then maybe dual booting with FreeDOS - tricky but possible - http://thebug.nerdtroop.com/TheBug/Computer_S … _dual_boot.html

Reply 4 of 5, by croc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
research_tech wrote on 2014-10-29, 21:32:

I am trying to get an old scientific/research program called ASYST by Software Technologies, INC. (Macmillan Software Company) to function in a new windows 7 computer for a research technician. I used DOSBox and the program seems to run, but is having an issue with one of its commands. It uses a DIR command similar to DOS itself, but when using this command within the ASYST program it displays "0 File(s), 0 bytes used" when it should show the files in the directory. I am able to see the files in a regular DOS window using the DOS DIR command, and I am also able to see the files doing a DIR command from within DOSBox after mounting the drive (but prior to launching the ASYST program).

I have a suspicion that the ASYST program is having trouble seeing files on a mounted drive. Is there some configuration I am missing? I looked through the help files, and FAQ's but I have not found information to help in the matter. Any ideas?

I was wondering you still have the software? because I was also searching for this old software. The company doesn't exist anymore. Hope to hear a response after so long time ago you posted the message here.

Or does someone else still has this program?