VOGONS

3D Realms Anthology 32 Games

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

especially since it's just translating to "give frederik money for dosbox repacks of games you've played 16 to 24 years ago to make you forget about our new ROTT game" to me. You're never going to see this in a box form with all those Apogee-labeled floppies.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 21 of 29, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah speaking of the new ROTT game I was pretty horrified when I saw the footage of it. I mean they basically took one of the best run n' gun games of the 90's and made it play like return to castle wolfenstien.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 23 of 29, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

Yeah speaking of the new ROTT game I was pretty horrified when I saw the footage of it. I mean they basically took one of the best run n' gun games of the 90's and made it play like return to castle wolfenstien.

Seeing footage is a bit different to playing it.

It plays somewhat like a mix between classic ROTT and UT99.

It's not bad. Nowhere near living up to the nostalgia-driven hype, but not a bad game, especially for LAN multiplayer.

That is to say, it's not bad unless all you want to do is fawn over "the way things used to be", in which case it's terrible.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 26 of 29, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:

hardly

SquallStrife wrote:

That is to say, it's not bad unless all you want to do is fawn over "the way things used to be", in which case it's terrible.

So you're welcoming badly clipped areas (leading to running into microsnags), unplayably fast player speeds, horrible platforming sections, bad longrange impossible hitscanning AI, forced 'humor' and hamfisted homages, MyspaceMetalBand remixes and 6GB huge patches that barely fix anything at all, attributing all these severe design problems to "its not 1994 anymore it's the future get used to it"?

That awful "experience" is why I am not supporting today's new 3D Realms in any way. Not even digging up the beta versions of good games they wish they had made would be any resolve.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 27 of 29, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

We must have been playing different games..?

I agree with some of your points, namely bad humour, bad homages, generic metal remixes. I only play it multiplayer with the music off these days for those reasons.

And I wasn't excusing the game's faults for any reason. What I'm saying is that it's trendy around here to hate on something solely because it's not 1994 any more, and I disagree with that "get off mah lawn" attitude.

In any case, you don't like it, and that's fine. I don't mind it, and tolerate the flaws for the sake of having a bit of variety at LAN parties. Variety is the spice of life after all.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 28 of 29, by oldgreatgames

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:
hardly […]
Show full quote
SquallStrife wrote:

hardly

SquallStrife wrote:

So you're welcoming badly clipped areas (leading to running into microsnags), unplayably fast player speeds, horrible platforming sections, bad longrange impossible hitscanning AI, forced 'humor' and hamfisted homages, MyspaceMetalBand remixes and 6GB huge patches that barely fix anything at all, attributing all these severe design problems to "its not 1994 anymore it's the future get used to it"?

That awful "experience" is why I am not supporting today's new 3D Realms in any way. Not even digging up the beta versions of good games they wish they had made would be any resolve.

They should have renamed it "Frederik Realms" I mean, the guy likes to put his face everywhere like in Taradino Cassat's model. 🤣

Reply 29 of 29, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

Sucks that it's only available by download. The box and jewel case art they created looks fantastic. I'd buy it if it came in a box version.

I think it's funny that publishers spent years telling gamers not to download games. Now it's the only way they're available. Actually funny is the wrong word. It's sad.