VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by PCG98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

UPDATE- this is solved since I used the info posted here to get ATF-G running on my Win7-64 machine. I was able to use Toolkit modified files on it as well. See below for my how-to, thanks to member filipetolhuizen for his work on this.

How-to for Win7 users that find this in the future (this presumes you have installed ATF Gold and the 1.02 patch):
1. Download & install the MS Application Compatibility Toolkit. I used version 5.6, and found it here.
2. Download & unzip member filipetolhuizen's ATF.zip patch (must be registered member to download). Save to your ATF Gold directory, i.e. C:\Janes\ATF Gold.
3. Download & unzip member the Direct Draw compatibility tool (must be registered member to download). Save to your ATF Gold directory, i.e. C:\Janes\ATF Gold.
4. Run MS ACT for 32 bit OS.
a. Click on "Open" then browse to the "atf.sdb" file you unzipped. Double-click on the file and a new custom database named "atf gold" is created.
b. Right-click on the database name, click "install" and close application.
5. Run Direct draw compatibility tool.

From member filipetolhuizen: If you experience crashes between missions, tick the options Force 640x480 and 256 colours mode under the compatibility tab.

OPTIONAL- ATF Gold Toolkit
I could not get this to run in Win7-64, apparently it is a 16 bit program. It may run on 32 bit versions. I used my Win 98 machine to create my libraries and then copied them along with other sub-folders (such as "Projects") to the Win7 machine. I repeated steps 4 & 5 and ended up with a working game with my modified files.

Last edited by PCG98 on 2014-11-24, 20:51. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 16, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you can get it at least to install under Win7 x64, try my fix for it. You need MS ACT 5.x or 6.0 to be able to apply the fix.

Attachments

• Filename
    atf.zip
    File size
    940 Bytes
    Downloads
    147 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 16, by PCG98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looks pretty intense/beyond my pay grade. A "quick start" guide that is 22 pages long!!!

The "step by step" is 23 pages long, and doesn't seem to cover what I'm doing. It has options for:
1) Deploying a new operating system or
2) Applying a Windows update

I "installed" your .sdb file as a database & saved it.

I re-installed ATF Gold, and then the v.2 patch.

It crashed within a few seconds.

I tried compatibility mode, Win98, and it loaded. The graphics were awful, the sound repeated when I clicked a button, and the cursor did not move uniformly.

I'm presuming I did not connect your patch to the game files. Any idea what I did wrong or need to do?

Reply 5 of 16, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My fix has been updated to work with any version. Please try it again.

Attachments

• Filename
    atf.zip
    File size
    904 Bytes
    Downloads
    437 downloads
    File license

Reply 6 of 16, by PCG98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I see what I missed- I used the "run" function from ACT and then linked the ATF Gold exe.

That's an improvement, but the graphics are still messed up. I have them set to 1024x768 and all terrain is set to best quality. In gameplay, the sky is correct, but the land & water are funky- mostly the water.

I've attached a screen shot for the title page, it actually looks a lot better, not any black, but the quality is like it is 256 color or less.

The other pic is from gameplay, ditto the black not being there (it is proper sky), but this gives an idea of what the water looks like.

Attachments

• Filename
    ATFGSS2.png
    File size
    76.55 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File comment
    Screenshot from gameplay showing water
    File license
  • ATFGSS1.png
    Filename
    ATFGSS1.png
    File size
    18.85 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Screenshot for main screen
    File license

Reply 7 of 16, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Then you need this as well. You just need to apply the fix once and the colour problems will be solved.
You don't need to run ATF inside ACT. Just installing the database inside should fix it everytime you run it. You'll have to disable Win98 compat. mode for the .exe too.

Attachments

Reply 8 of 16, by PCG98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, that fixed the graphics, but it only works when I run it via ACT. Do I need all files in one directory, i.e. the .sdb files in the /Janes/ATF gold directory?

Any ideas on running the toolkit? It does nothing via the compatibility mode. It has a setup.exe file that must be run to install it. I may be able to copy my lib files from the Win98 machine & use them, I'll see if that works.

Reply 9 of 16, by PCG98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I figured out what I was doing wrong on running the program, I "saved" but did not "install" the custom database I created using your file. I can now run the program from the desktop. I'll read up on using ACT and see if I can apply it to the toolkit programs, both setup and run. Neither work in any compatibility mode under Win7-64.

Thanks again for your help.

EDIT
Looks like these programs are likely 16 bit. Doing some reading on getting them to work. I downloaded XP Mode and am installing it.

Reply 10 of 16, by PCG98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Success! I copied the lib files modified on my Win98 machine & was able to use them on the Win7 machine. Had to reapply everything, but once done the game worked as it should & I had my modified planes to fly.

Could not get the XP mode to load, so just as well.

EDIT
Updated/renamed original post for future users.

Reply 11 of 16, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't deserve credits for DirectDraw Compatibility Tool. It was created by someone else.
Regarding ACT, you don't have to click on save, unless you modified the fix. Just click on install and it will be applied. If you experience crashes between missions, tick the options Force 640x480 and 256 colours mode under the compatibility tab.