Common searches

VDMSound 2.1.0 PUBLIC BETA

Topic actions

Reply 101 of 165, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

a) What about running it as Administrator as it says (if you use W2000 or WXP)?
b)If you use W9x, WME then forget it - regular VDMSound cannot be installed on them - look for alpha version for W9x on this forum.

Mirek

Reply 106 of 165, by quark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

2.1.0 beta was released 5th july 2003. When, if ever, will the next version be released? Has the VDMSound development stopped entirely?

«Just because the fuck has a library card, it doesn't make him Yoda» - Detective David Mills, Se7en.

Reply 107 of 165, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Yes. But feel free to prove me wrong.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 109 of 165, by quark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I would think a final product shouldn't have beta status. That is, if the latest beta version is also considered to be the final VDMSound in existence. Also, I'm having problems with the current version (it doesn't allocate EMS), so hopefully a new version could fix that. But obviously, that's not going to happen. 😒

«Just because the fuck has a library card, it doesn't make him Yoda» - Detective David Mills, Se7en.

Reply 110 of 165, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

quark, if this is old news/irrelevant, just ignore this post...

VDMSound works in tandem with the standard NTVDM to do one think only: Provide sound for the V(irtual)D(os)M(achine). NTVDM is responsible for providing XMS and EMS support. On some motherboards, EMS is simply not available to NTVDM, due to some unfortunate memory usage by Windows(?). Short of re-implementing NTVDM (and I am not sure that is enough) there is NO way the missing EMS is suddenly going to appear.

Reply 112 of 165, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Yep - disabling the on-board LAN works for me (NVIDIA nForce2 motherboard). If quark would bother to search these forums for EMS/USB/LAN/BIOS I am sure it will pop up.

Reply 114 of 165, by quark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tried to disable all USB and network devices in Windows, but it doesn't help. Do I have to disable it in BIOS, or should disabling it in the device manager be enough?

Reply 115 of 165, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
quark wrote:

Do I have to disable it in BIOS, or should disabling it in the device manager be enough?

You must disable things in BIOS if you want to get EMS.

Mirek

Reply 116 of 165, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Anonymous wrote:

Thank god for you guys developing this, I LOVE YOU. i havnt been able to play indiana jones and the fate of atlantis until now 😀 😀 😀

All the praise and credit belongs to vladr, I think. Everyone else here are just happy users - with a geeky fascination for getting old software to work on new hardware 😉

Reply 119 of 165, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Dragon wrote:

But how can I be an administration in Win 98???

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
VDMSound does NOT work in W9x !!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you search the forum, you will find an alpha version of VDMsound for W9x. No idea how good it is.

Mirek