VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

VR Sports Powerboat Racing by Interplay... when you fire it up you can choose between "Primary Display Driver" (i.e. Direct3D, it uses DX6 or 6.1 I believe) or "Software Only". Even on my Win8.1 64bit machine "Software Only" mode works fine, but it's limited to 320x240 so is SUPER blocky!

Has anyone ever got the 3D version working? I seem to remember it working on my ancient Win98 machine with a Voodoo5 card, but it doesn't work on my WinXP 32bit with Nvidia 7800GS+ graphics, and doesn't on my new PC either.

Basically when you choose the "Primary Display Driver", it launches a full screen window called "Powerboat Racing", then after a few seconds, the mouse pointer vanishes. If you alt-tab you can then see there's an error message about "DDraw Error: Unable to open screen", with a button to close the game.

Anyone got any ideas?

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 2 of 21, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe you can try Dege's newest dgVoodoo which wraps Direct3D to see what happens! 😀
http://dege.fw.hu

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 3 of 21, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a quick play with that on various games, and nothing worked at all. Do you know if you just need to put the two files in the MS folder in the game's install folder, plus the dgVoodoo configuration app, then it should work? One game (I think it was Motocross Madness 2) found the dgVoodoo as an option, but still crashed 😒

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 4 of 21, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You just place the dll files in the MS folder in the game folder.

It doesn't work if anyone's wondering.

DXGL gets farther (renders some intro screens then crashes to desktop at what I think is the "detecting hardware" phase).

Edit: Oh and Microsoft's builtin compatibility fixes is part of the problem. Rename the exe to something else and run it in standard XP compatibility mode and it should work (at 5 FPS if you're using Windows 8 )

Reply 6 of 21, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

8-bit and 16-bit color games often have terrible performance in Windows 8, there's no ACT fixes that help. There's two: one that will help performance a little (but definitely won't save a 5 FPS game) and one that basically hides 8-bit and 16-bit modes and hopes the application falls back to 32-bit mode.

If it's 8-bit or 16-bit, you better hope there's a wrapper that works that's better than Microsoft's. Things not to try:

dgVoodoo: DDraw Error: Unable to open screen.
DXGL: crash at hardware detection.
DXWnd: 10-30 FPS.
D3DWindower: Worse than DXWnd.
VMWare: Its virtual 3D adapter does not support a required function. Seems to run at a nice 60 FPS though, so I'm guessing this game works nicely in WinXP/Win7.

Reply 8 of 21, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried its demo, and it ended up in 'DDraw Error: Unable to open screen' as ZellSF wrote.
This game uses 640x400 16 bit videomode which wasn't enumerated by dgVoodoo (a bug, again), that's why the error message comes.
Modern adapters does not enumerate such low resolutions so dgVoodoo additionally forces all 'classic' (320x200, 320x400, 640x400, etc) resolutions in its enumeration.

When I fixed it, the game worked fine with 60FPS. Altough I got a crash at quit with the debug version so I have to check that later.

Attachments

• PBoat.png
    Filename
    PBoat.png
    File size
    277.36 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    There are some artifacts because I forced MSAA on the game.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 21, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the game crashes due to missing 640x400 resolution, just add it to the main .inf file in the drivers install folder, if it's a nvidia card.

Reply 14 of 21, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You'll have better results if you add the resolution to the .inf file before installing the drivers rather than adding as a custom resolution.

Reply 15 of 21, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote:

I added it as a custom resolution through the nVidia control panel and the game now works natively.

It works nicely natively in Windows versions released before Windows 8.

Windows 8 and later and the performance so bad it's unplayable. Windows 8 has dropped native support for 8 and 16 bit color and runs that through an emulation layer that's... not very good.

Reply 16 of 21, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This all looks like good stuff! Dege, adding 16bit mode would probably allow a good number of other games to work. I've had problems with games requiring retained mode on Nvidia 980, namely Super Taxi Driver having many white textures and Even Knieval having no bike or objects visible.

Reply 17 of 21, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

This all looks like good stuff! Dege, adding 16bit mode would probably allow a good number of other games to work. I've had problems with games requiring retained mode on Nvidia 980, namely Super Taxi Driver having many white textures and Even Knieval having no bike or objects visible.

It supports 16 bit modes. All the classic resolutions plus the ones enumerated by the graphics driver are supported in 8, 16 and 32 bit depth.
Well, the classic ones now enumerated with 8 bit only, due to the bug I mentioned.

Also, all classic texture formats are supported because most of the applications relies on them. In practice an app can't be expected to fall back to a subset of formats. That is only theory. 😀
It's very common that if a texture format is unsupported then a game fails to start or miss the textures in question. The programmers won't write tons of code paths for various formats and capability bits. They only targets the current low- or mid-end card with their known capabilities and adjust their code according to that.
So, a full contemporary environment has to be emulated.

All 'bit depth' is virtual to the applications because dgVoodoo always uses or converts to 32bit internally, so the graphic driver is not expected to support them. It cannot even do because they are missing from the API of DXGI/D3D11 itself.

So, those games should work, but if they don't, there may be other problems than just D3D emulation, like other Windows enviroment incompatibility, etc. I will do more tests on very old games to see what we have.

Reply 19 of 21, by FANTOMAS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@DGVoodoo 2.55 Does it look OK ??? I do not really know ..... 60 hz v-sync is steady...... the game itself is a dinosaure from the Direct-x 5 era........

Config : ASUS PRIME H270 PRO / CORE i7-7700/ 16 GB DDR2400 / MSI GTX1060 6GT OCV1 @391.01/ Moniteur @1080p ...WINDOWS 10 64 bits V1803 @17134.254

Attachments

• 16-9.jpg
    Filename
    16-9.jpg
    File size
    789.98 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    16/9 @3840X2160 @DSR 4X
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 4-3.png