VOGONS

I'm using onboard audio and the sky has not fallen

Topic actions

First post, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My ‘modern’ machine recently rejected the X-Fi Extreme Music I’ve been using since forever. Windows 7 suffered a rare BSOD and then refused to boot, which I suspect was a Windows update that conflicted with the old Creative drivers. It’s not the first time it’s happened and a re-install of the Creative drivers usually fixes it, but not this time.

So I removed the X-Fi and fired up the onboard audio on my ga-h55m-d2h, which is no spring chicken itself, and it sounds fine to my ears using a 5.1 surround setup.

What are you guys using for sound in your modern machine? Is there any point in having a sound card these days?

Last edited by badmojo on 2014-12-08, 23:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1 of 80, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im using a SB X-Fi Titanium (the one that supports EAX natively) , and it sounds great.

Though I will say that the main reason I use it is because I found it for about £10 , I wouldn't buy a new sound card so quickly especially as I don't have a killer sound system.

Reply 6 of 80, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Onboard is much better these days. I was using the Realtek 898 off my GA-Z87X-UD4H until 2 months ago, then popped my X-Fi XtremeGamer FPS in. Then sunday I received my used ($76) SB-Zx card. Its quite nice. haven't given it a workout yet other than the VGA 2014 on youtube.

If I had the money to dump on a DAC/AMP I would probably jump on that but the Zx has Headphone amp built in anyways.

I'm impatiently waiting on some ATH-AD500X from japan. These will be the most expensive headphones that I bought. Also need to update my 2.1 speakers I bought back in 1998-1999 but they sound great still.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 7 of 80, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea onboard has come a long way. Does the job fine but I still use a Creative card for gaming 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 8 of 80, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm using a Recon3D PCIe, and before that an X-Fi PCI (which I did not like much at all, especially once Windows 7 came about). The onboard audio on my motherboard (Intel DX48BT2) had unstable drivers in XP, and has been disabled in the BIOS for years as a result. I have no idea if the drivers would or wouldn't be an improvement in 7, but they caused a number of games to crash when the board was new, so that was a no-go. Sound quality and feature-wise it was absolutely fine, and I would have no problems using it if it weren't crashtastic. That isn't to say Recon3D is bad - honestly I like the little thing, it's easy to live with, and has been stable for howeverlong I've had it - very much a "set and forget" kind of device). My "next up" machine inherited the X-Fi because I could never find drivers for its integrated sound in XP, and while it's got them for Win7, I just didn't want to hassle with removing the card. 😊

RogueTrip2012: The new Sound Blaster cards have the same TI chipamp that the Recon3D, Asus, and a number of stand-alone headphone amplifiers use - it's *very* robust (on 14-15V supply it will do upwards of 1W/ch out into ~30R, and in one stand-alone incarnation (that has a ~2A PSU) the manufacturer stands behind its ability to drive a pair of 8R Tannoy bookshelves to "loud" levels; when installed in a PC (Creative, Asus, Auzen, etc) it usually runs on 9-12V though, so the output is more like 600-800mW, which is still enough to utterly shatter your ears in a matter of seconds)) and with something as easily driven as modern ATs you will have no problems aside from ergonomics (you have to plug in at the back of the case and it requires an adapter for 6.3mm). I had no complaints with it as a stand-alone in a few amplifiers/devices, or as implemented on the Recon3D, with a wide variety of headphones, including a few ATs. One advantage it has over many stand-alone amplifiers (especially under $500) is digital volume control = correct channel tracking. Most cheap headphone amps have pretty atrocious volume controls.

Reply 10 of 80, by y2k se

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The primary PC has an X-Fi Titanium driving AudioEngine A2 speakers and S8 subwoofer. The motherboard is an ASUS P9X79 Pro with onboard Realtek ALC898. I don't know if the X-Fi sounds better than onboard because I never tried onboard; the X-Fi was a carryover from a previous build.

The gaming system PC has a Sound Blaster Z driving a Sennheiser PC350 headset. The motherboard is a ASUS P8Z77-V with onboard Realtek ALC892. I did use the onboard sound on it and the Z was a significant upgrade, I'm guessing because of the headphone amp/output.

Tualatin Celeron 1.4 + Powerleap PL-IP3/T, ASUS P2B, 512 MB RAM, GeForce 4 Ti 4200, Voodoo2 SLI, AWE64, 32GB IDE SSD, Dell 2001FP

Reply 11 of 80, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an Audigy SB0090 in my modern box but personally I think it almost sounds weaker than the on board realtek audio if you can believe that. 😒

You would think it would sound as impressive as the Live! but it sounds weak by comparison imho.

BTW has anyone gotten the Live! card working properly in Windows 7?

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 12 of 80, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since around the arrival of Socket 775 the onboard audio has been remarkably great given that you get a decent board. Getting a new soundcard for me is a waste of money and space.

Reply 13 of 80, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sound blaster Z, in my main machine.
The onboard realtek too, but only for the extra line-in.
The onboard picks up GPU generated noise real easy when its under-load, the Z doesn't. Yet the Z is sitting right next to the GPU, but the realtek is pretty far away from the gpu near the edge of the board. So you think it would not.
Making the realtek completely useless for gaming.

Reply 14 of 80, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The onboard Realtek audio does me good for just about everything - games, music, it all sounds really nice, even through a headset.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 15 of 80, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Onboard seemed to work great in Windows 7 at first, then I started getting glitches and crackles so ever since then I've used a Xonar DG. Despite changes of motherboard.

My other modernish PC uses an Audigy 2 ZS, because after fiddling with the iTunes graphic equaliser I decided every setting was awful with the onboard sound. Not convinced the Audigy is massively better so maybe it's my speakers, but it's in there now.

Reply 17 of 80, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Auzentech X-fi Forte 7.1 for me atm, never used the onboard audio since many many years...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 18 of 80, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually prefer the sound of the ALC898 "SupremeFX" built into my Asus mobo over my old X-Fi Ti Fatal1ty Pro card. Slightly less bright and a little more Hi-Fi sounding IMO.

I have it hooked up to an absolutely marvelous sounding 1994 Kenwood mini component system. I just use the reference Realtek drivers without any of the Asus X-Fi MB bloatware, output a flat signal to the stereo, and boost the bass just a tad on the Kenwood's equalizer. Perfect. Who needs a sound card?

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 19 of 80, by m1so

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do people not involved in music making seriously buy expensive sound cards today? Digital is digital folks, unless your integrated soundcard has an incredibly bad DAC or your soundcard has DSP "sound enhancer" functions (usually crap on both dedicated and integrated cards) any difference you hear is placebo. I don't want to sound like a dick, but the fine folks at Hydrogenaudio can explain this to you very well. Unless you produce music or require high-end surround audio, there is no sense in buying a dedicated sound card. This is not like integrated videocards. Hopefully, integrated graphics will eventually reach this point as well.