VOGONS

First post, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi!

Does anybody have a Logitech Cyberman II and can post a mini review of it? I recently stumbled across these controllers on eBay and I'm now intrigued. Unfortunately, there's not much in the way of user reviews still out there to be found.

It looks like the last revision of the Logitech gaming software that supports it is v4.60, and only in Win98SE. Is this correct?

Reply 1 of 4, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is a review I scanned out of boot magazine #11 1997 July edition.
While I did buy one of these last year, I still haven't taken the time to play around with it.

cyberman2_boot11.jpg

Reply 3 of 4, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

bushwack:
Thanks for posting that scanned review! I look forward to your hands-on review of the controller.

RacoonRider wrote:

If you like 6DOF controllers, there's also SpaceOrb360. Neat little thing!

I almost bought one on eBay a few weeks ago. However, I decided not to after reading about it online. It sounds like a good controller, except for that whole serial port connection thing. There were lots of reviews complaining about problems getting it to work. I really don't feel like fighting com port problems.

The CyberMan 2 uses a plain old gameport connection, so even though it's a digital controller it should still be less problematic. Also, it's just more obscure and its novelty is part of the reason I want one.

Reply 4 of 4, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KT7AGuy wrote:

I almost bought one on eBay a few weeks ago. However, I decided not to after reading about it online. It sounds like a good controller, except for that whole serial port connection thing. There were lots of reviews complaining about problems getting it to work. I really don't feel like fighting com port problems.

The only problem I ran into was that in Windows 98 if I plug a USB gamepad alongside the Orb, the Orb is the only gamepad that works in games. The control panel detects and calibrates both, but the games don't 😠