VOGONS

Common searches


SCALER xBRZ (SDL1)

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 109, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you check back through my prior posts here (i.e. on page 2) you should find links to where Hyllian, the xBR author, provided a HLSL compatible (i.e. *.fx) version of the more up to date 5xBR-v3.8a/b/c.

Last edited by kolano on 2014-09-15, 16:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 82 of 109, by maxoda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
2mg wrote:

Quick question: DOSBox supports OGL, why not GLSL/.cg filters?

Also, to be on topic, xBRZ - waiting for Zenju...

The official build of Dosbox doesn't seem to be worried about shaders, so other builds like gulikoza and Daum are doing it for now. All emulators with shader support have to choose a single format and they're not agreeing on one just yet.
So depending on the point of view one could ask why not HLSL? A few other projects use it too.
Maybe you just need one specific shader ported to FX format. I found most I needed already ported.
Just to see XBR and XBRZ functional in Dosbox is a great step.

Reply 84 of 109, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

No, you will need to post in the dev forum and then someone will move it eventually. The hurdle is there to keep that forum somewhat clean, that each topic is a patch or mod or... And not just people posting questions and whatnot there

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for OS X (10.4-10.14 ppc/intel 32/64bit) codesigned for gatekeeper
DOSBox SVN with SDL2 snapshot for OS X (10.7-10.14 intel 64bit) codesigned for gatekeeper

Reply 85 of 109, by fingers2013

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

What a fantastic image resizer! I'm definitely going to make use of it in some of my projects! 😀

If anyone is looking for the broken byuu.org link from the first post of this thread, it is now available here - board.byuu.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2248

Reply 86 of 109, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fingers2013 wrote:

What a fantastic image resizer! I'm definitely going to make use of it in some of my projects! 😀

If anyone is looking for the broken byuu.org link from the first post of this thread, it is now available here - board.byuu.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2248

Yeah, unfortunately Byuu ran into some problems with his hosting provider which caused a variety of issues with his forums. He's still working on getting new ones up, but it seems like it may take a while.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 87 of 109, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolano wrote:
fingers2013 wrote:

What a fantastic image resizer! I'm definitely going to make use of it in some of my projects! 😀

If anyone is looking for the broken byuu.org link from the first post of this thread, it is now available here - board.byuu.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2248

Yeah, unfortunately Byuu ran into some problems with his hosting provider which caused a variety of issues with his forums. He's still working on getting new ones up, but it seems like it may take a while.

DosBOX Compatible 5xBR-v3.8 Shader.7z

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 88 of 109, by Rod Primitive

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
ZenJu wrote:

dosbox.conf should be setup with the following configuation:

Show quote

output=surface
fullresolution=original
scaler=none
aspect=false
fullscreen=true

Hi ZenJu! Is this all we need to do? And, since later SVN builds have xBRZ implemented, should we switch out scaler=none to scaler=xbrz while letting the other commands be as they are here?

Reply 89 of 109, by ZenJu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Hi ZenJu! Is this all we need to do? And, since later SVN builds have xBRZ implemented, should we switch out scaler=none to scaler=xbrz while letting the other commands be as they are here?

The text is rather long, but this section gives the answer:

Note: the updated version v3 will automatically apply these setttings. So you can simply copy the .exe into your Dosbox directory and start it.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/xbrz
https://freefilesync.org

Reply 90 of 109, by Rod Primitive

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Update 2: I suppose this works just fine with latest Daum build as well?

Update: Ugh, I'm a retard. 😵
It was so simple to set it all up. I'm in love with this scaler! 😁

What .exe? This one?
Sorry if I'm asking the obvious, this is a bit new to me.

Reply 91 of 109, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rod Primitive wrote:
Show quote

Update 2: I suppose this works just fine with latest Daum build as well?

Update: Ugh, I'm a retard. 😵
It was so simple to set it all up. I'm in love with this scaler! 😁

What .exe? This one?
Sorry if I'm asking the obvious, this is a bit new to me.

You can find the DOSBox 0.74 + xBRZ with save states from the xbrz project.
sourceforge.net/projects/xbrz/files/DOSBox/

The latest xbrz patch for DOSBox from ZenJu does not include scaler=xbrz.
(I fiddled with the patch to provide the scaler option in the daum builds for convenience.)
Basically with the above dosbox.conf setup (output=surface, scaler=none, fullscreen=true), it just forces to use the xbrz scaler.

Reply 92 of 109, by Rod Primitive

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
ykhwong wrote:

The latest xbrz patch for DOSBox from ZenJu does not include scaler=xbrz.
(I fiddled with the patch to provide the scaler option in the daum builds for convenience.)
Basically with the above dosbox.conf setup (output=surface, scaler=none, fullscreen=true), it just forces to use the xbrz scaler.

So what you're saying is that by setting output=surface, scaler=none, fullscreen=true activates xBRZ in Daum? We do not need to set scaler to =xBRZ then?

Reply 94 of 109, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rod Primitive wrote:

So what you're saying is that by setting output=surface, scaler=none, fullscreen=true activates xBRZ in Daum? We do not need to set scaler to =xBRZ then?

I mean the "scaler=xbrz" is Daum build-specific, which requires scaler=xbrz, output=surface, fullscreen=true to activate the xbrz scaling. On the other hand, the other builds that implement the xbrz scaling may not need to set scaler=xbrz at all.

Reply 95 of 109, by Rod Primitive

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
ykhwong wrote:
Rod Primitive wrote:

So what you're saying is that by setting output=surface, scaler=none, fullscreen=true activates xBRZ in Daum? We do not need to set scaler to =xBRZ then?

I mean the "scaler=xbrz" is Daum build-specific, which requires scaler=xbrz, output=surface, fullscreen=true to activate the xbrz scaling. On the other hand, the other builds that implement the xbrz scaling may not need to set scaler=xbrz at all.

Ah, now I understand. 😀

Reply 96 of 109, by ZuTheSkunk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
ZenJu wrote:

DOSBox v0.74 + xBRZ + Save States support:
sourceforge.net/projects/xbrz/files/DOSBox/

Please forgive me for being a complete newbie, but how do I install this? Do I just put this in the main DosBox directory? Or do I put this in a separate directory? If it's the latter, then how do I run this? It has no exe file or anything.

Reply 97 of 109, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Click on that link and READ

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for OS X (10.4-10.14 ppc/intel 32/64bit) codesigned for gatekeeper
DOSBox SVN with SDL2 snapshot for OS X (10.7-10.14 intel 64bit) codesigned for gatekeeper

Reply 99 of 109, by Lord Nightmare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

My main problem with the hqx and especially xbrz scalers in general is not lack of technical merit on the part of the scalers: It is the fact that all of them (except for some clean-room rewritten-from-math versions) are licensed in such a way as to make it difficult or impossible to use them in commercial software.

This is why you rarely if ever see these algorithms in anything commercial.

HQX is LGPL2.1 licensed, which is not too bad but can't be safely/easily used on apps sold in the apple app store (and may have issues with google app store as well, unclear).

xBR/xBRZ, I've seen several versions, some of which are GPLV3, some GPLV2, some LGPLV3, some LGPLv2.1, with possibly no regard to the license of the project they were forked from, if it was more restrictive (which is, of course, illegal). Obviously anything GPL is forbidden from the apple app store, and may also be from the google app store, again unclear.

I've also (unlike HQX) yet to see a full mathematical description of the xBR/xBRZ algorithms which would allow a separate, permissively licensed code version to be created from scratch and not run into problems inherent in 'looking at GPL code to write BSD/MIT code'

Hence, I'm avoiding xBR until I can see a textual description of how it works.

Also, the post on byuu's forum (which did have some information) got deleted in a forum purge, and without that I have zero clue how it works.

For legal reasons to protect myself from potential lawsuits from Hyllian (or any other xBR/xBRZ contributors) re:GPL, I refuse to look at the GPL licensed code for fear of 'infecting' my own personal BSD-licensed upscaler codebase with GPL.

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK* ...you make zombie-ade!"