VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by samtam90

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't run this game. When I try to run it I get only a black screen. Help me!

Reply 1 of 3, by Aspie_Boi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In the posting guidlines for this forum it asks you to provide specific information on your hardware set up and a detailed account of the steps you have tried in order to get your game to run.

Simply saying 'When I try to run it I get only a black screen' doesn't help us very much.

Can you try again and give me a list of your hardware setup (as well as your OS version), and what programs you have used to try and get this game working (as it won't work out of the box on 2000 or XP).

I am downloading the demo now. I will try I few strategies of my own and report back with the results.

Reply 2 of 3, by Aspie_Boi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Right I have the game working (stably as far as I can tell).

You need to use VDMSound (I use 2.0.4), but future shock needs to be run from a full screen dos prompt. So launch cmd.exe, then manually start VDMSound (by typing dosdrv), switch to full screen Alt+Enter, and then run shock.exe (or whatever, I was using the demo to test this solution).

I would recommend you try this with no other programs (or unecessary background processes) running first to avoid possible conflicts. I also found during testing that the game ran too fast (and was rather unstable) on modern hardware. Use a slowdown utility to solve this.

My faviourite such utility is Turbo: http://www.geocities.com/kulhain/turbo.zip

(I have a 1.1Ghz CPU, and find that a value of 55-60 is suitable, trial and error is the only way to find a sweet spot, control input is *slightly* lagged with this program though).