VOGONS

First post, by Stefan1200_

User metadata

I use VDMSound 2.0.4 with Update 2, it is great.
But windows 2000 sp4 does not support svga resolutions running dos programs and games. I only can use 320x240 with 256 colors.

Have anybody an idea how to get 640x480 or higher in the dos emulation from win2000?

Reply 3 of 4, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stefan1200_ wrote:

Have anybody an idea how to get 640x480 or higher in the dos emulation from win2000?

Your luck depends on your current video card. The standard VGA driver provided my Microsoft handles all full screen modes for DOS programs. Depending on your video card, the driver allows DOS programs to switch into higher resolution modes or not. What video card do you have?

You can find a lot of previous threads about this subject here, but I believe you will find some interesting info in this thread. Simon Hradecky wrote a small program to patch vga.sys that can help you if you have some Nvidia GeForce based cards. I had some success with the patched driver and my MX440, eventually it will work for you too.

Another alternative is to use SolVBE, a VESA driver/wrapper that works with VMDSound and allows you to run DOS programs in a window with higher resolutions, but you will need a fast machine to handle this.

Regards,

Major Grubert

Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-X/1GB DDR400/GeForce FX 5700/SB Live! 5.1