VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bug! is relatively easy to install, then a bit tricky to get running well in Win8.1 64bit. See how I did it over here: http://www.play-old-pc-games.com/2012/08/13/b … #comment-110562

Bug Too! is a different beast. For starters, the game tries to install DirectX2, then fails, and won't install the game at all as a result. This occurs on Windows XP as well as Windows 8.1. I managed to get the game to install on Windows XP by installing it into a virtual PC and copying bits across, but here's how to do it without a virtual PC.

1. Create folder to install the game into, in this example I'll use c:\games\bugtoo

2. Open the CD-ROM drive and copy the following files into the folder (above). These will then need renaming as follows:
EXEC.RTA = copy across and rename to: BugToo.exe
DUKDLL95.DL_ = copy across and rename to: DUKDLL95.DLL
MSS32.DL_ = copy across and rename to: MSS32.DLL
TITLE.BMP = copy across, no need to rename
Yes, that's right, the game only installs 4 files! The rest run from the CD-ROM!

3. To pull this all together you need some Registry strings, these I exported from Win98SE in a virtual machine, hence the opening REGEDIT4 line. However this does install properly in Win8.1 even with this line! NOTE: there are some lines that need changing, depending on where you installed the game, and the letter your CD-ROM is in, these are as follows:

"Main Directory"="C:\\games\\bugtoo" = change this to the correct path where you installed the game, note: keep double \\ in the path!
"Data Directory"="D:\\Data" = change D: to the drive your CD-ROM is, could be E: for example
"Save Directory"="C:\\games\\bugtoo\\SaveGame" = change this to the correct path where you installed the game, note: keep double \\ in the path!

NOTE: the path DOESN'T need "Wow6432Node" adding to it on 64bit, as the game won't find them in there!

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sega\Bug Too!]
"Version"="Smells like Victory!"
"Main Directory"="C:\\games\\bugtoo"
"Data Directory"="D:\\Data"
"Save Directory"="C:\\games\\bugtoo\\SaveGame"
"Key Map 1"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,0d,00,20,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,10,00,11,00,00,\
00,00,00,26,00,28,00,25,00,27,00,4d,00,50,00
"Key Map 2"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,0d,00,20,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,10,00,11,00,00,\
00,00,00,26,00,28,00,25,00,27,00,4d,00,50,00
"Joystick Map 1"=hex:ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,00,00,01,00,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,02,00,03,\
00,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff
"Joystick Map 2"=hex:ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,00,00,01,00,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,02,00,03,\
00,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff
"SFX Enabled"=hex:01,00,00,00
"SFX Volume"=hex:05,00,00,00
"Music Enabled"=hex:01,00,00,00
"Music Volume"=hex:05,00,00,00

Save the above (with tweaks mentioned) into a text file, then rename it to .reg extension (you'll need to be showing extensions in Windows first), then double-click it to install the Registry strings.

4. Finally, right-click BugToo.exe and set Win98 compatibility on it, then it *should* work when you double-click it - in WinXP.

However, on Win8.1 it'll try booting then say "Video Initialization Failure!" and exit (on my Nvidia at least, it might work on ATI). To get it to work for me took 3 things:

1. Put dgVoodoo's Direct3D wrapper files (the "MS" ones, not Glide) into the game folder.
2. Remove Win98 compatibility from BugToo.exe.
3. Use Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit to fix BugToo.exe with the following settings:
IgnoreException
Win98VersionLie

With this applied, the game SHOULD work, but there will be an issue with the CD music, it keeps looping every few seconds, pausing the gameplay. You can disable music in the options though, but then there's no music(!) so it's not ideal. More research/fixes are needed!

Note: instead of dgVoodoo, some of the other wrappers might work. I haven't tried DXGL or WineD3D on Windows yet.

So, overall, Bug! works, and Bug Too! is playable-ish...

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 1 of 10, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For the music, you may want to try a custom configuration with _inmm.dll and see how that works. Good chance the issues have to do with Windows Vista and beyond and their handling of CD audio. http://www.play-old-pc-games.com/compatibilit … m-dll-tutorial/

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 2 of 10, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I may look in that, but I'm waiting until I install Sega Rally 2, as I had _inmm.dll working on XP work that, but on Win8.1 so far I haven't had any luck with _inmm.dll the few times I tried it. So Sega Rally 2 will be my starting point!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 3 of 10, by BuckoA51

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sega Rally 2 you say, I can't even get that working well in XP. It will install but won't recognise controllers, not much fun on the keyboard.

Can't even get it to start installing on Windows 8, do let me know how you get on!

play-old-pc-games.com

Reply 4 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BuckoA51 wrote:

Sega Rally 2 you say, I can't even get that working well in XP.

I think we've had other threads about that here.

It will install but won't recognise controllers, not much fun on the keyboard.

JoyToKey works splendidly in such situations.

Reply 5 of 10, by BuckoA51

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

JoyToKey works splendidly in such situations.

Joy2Key and Xpadder are great of course, but are absolutely no substitute for an analogue controller, especially not with a game like Sega Rally 2.

play-old-pc-games.com

Reply 6 of 10, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried _inmm.dll on Bug! Too, but it didn't work, still keeps looping the CD tracks.

Reply 8 of 10, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know what causes CD music loop in Bug Too but when I run it with "Disable Alt-Enter to toggle..." option disabled then it works fine for me (Win7).

I also had a look at Bug but it's a big mixture of GDI and DDraw. It's hopeless to run with the latest version of dgVoodoo2.

Reply 10 of 10, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, that works! It's an option in dgVoodooSetup.exe under the DirectX tab.

FYI Bug Too works for me with dgVoodoo 2.43 and 2.44, however I have the following set up: against BugToo.exe shortcut, Compatibility tab: "Reduced colour mode 8-bit (256) colour" and "Run in 640x480 screen resolution".

I've also applied in Application Compatibility Toolkit the following: IgnoreException and Win98VersionLie