VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a few games from TryMedia/TryGames in the past. Since then, TryMedia has been sold on, and the whole system discontinued, meaning these games can no longer be unlocked, so will only run for 60mins then won't work any more, so I hope it's okay to talk about how to work around it, given it's no longer in use!

Whilst the most popular, rFactor, has now moved to Steam, I have 3 other games with the protection on them, namely:

Golden Age Of Racing
Safari Biathlon Racer
XT Rally

Now the first 2 I can get cracked versions of (although I'd prefer not to!), but the last one (which I've fruitlessly seeked the developers of) has no cracked versions out there.

In the past, the common way to get around TryMedia protection on a new system was simply to copy across the TryMedia keys from the old system where they were installed correctly, as explained here: http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/showpost.ph … 99&postcount=23

However, when I put (my WinXP installed) TryMedia keys in the C:\ProgramData\Trymedia folder, they are simply ignored, meaning the games are not unlocked. There's an ActiveMARK Launcher available here, but I don't have an account, so can't test that (yet): http://forum.exetools.com/showthread.php?t=15299

Anyone got any ideas or advice? It might be that the TryMedia protection just isn't finding the keys correctly (though when you run a TryMedia game, the C:\ProgramData\Trymedia folder IS created and populated)...

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 1 of 2, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

It might be that the TryMedia protection just isn't finding the keys correctly (though when you run a TryMedia game, the C:\ProgramData\Trymedia folder IS created and populated)...

My standard means of checking such things would be Process Monitor from SystemInternals.

Reply 2 of 2, by Nicknine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's that ActiveMARK Launcher tool you mentioned, don't remember where exactly I got it from. Tested on Luxor 2, Luxor 3 and Luxor: Quest for the Afterlife on Windows XP, seems to work.

Attachments

• Filename
    AM-Launcher.zip
    File size
    219.13 KiB
    Downloads
    460 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception