VOGONS

Reply 20 of 53, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Darklord42 wrote:

I found that the issue was the fixed clear patch crashing with dgvoodoo2

Anyway since OSX wine now supports winmm for joystick, I thought I'd give X-Wing a try. Xwing vs Tie Fighter works perfectly, but X-wing for some reason has no music. You mention that winmm was renamed win32.dll for XvT for OGG playback. What about TF and XW? Have you seen any mechanism that could possibly fail with wine?

Tie Fighter and X Wing still use winmm.dll (which is actually a wrapper https://github.com/hifi/ogg-winmm) located in the game directories.
I had a look at XvT in Dependency Walker and I think the reason for the renamed winmm.dll is that the game requires both, the wrapper win32.dll (previously named winmm.dll) and Microsofts native winmm.dll.

DP.jpg
Filename
DP.jpg
File size
92.59 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

As for your problem according to this blog post combining ogg-winmm with wine only works if the dll isn't called "winmm".
http://punkrockhacker.blogspot.de/2014_06_01_archive.html (important part is right at the bottom)

Reply 21 of 53, by Darklord42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank-you so much for your help! That makes sense. Only I guess it's not so simple as just changing the name. How do I make Xwing95 look for the renamed library? I assume I don't need the source code, as GoG did it.

Reply 22 of 53, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Darklord42 wrote:

Thank-you so much for your help! That makes sense. Only I guess it's not so simple as just changing the name. How do I make Xwing95 look for the renamed library? I assume I don't need the source code, as GoG did it.

I think it's only a matter of opening the exe with a hex editor, searching for "WINMM.DLL" (57 49 4E 4D 4D 2E 64 6C 6C) and replacing it with a different name. As far as I can tell that's the only thing GOG did in that regard.

Reply 23 of 53, by Darklord42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm an idiot. The simplest solution is to go into Config Utility ->Libraries and add winmm to the list and change the load order to Native first then Built-in. He is slightly wrong. It's the wine version of winmm that's conflicting as it is default to load first.

I loaded it up and it worked. Thanks for all your info! that helped greatly!

Reply 24 of 53, by Darklord42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There is one thing I don't understand about GoG. Why did they bother putting the fixed clear patch on all the executables if they were going to disable 3d render. Thankfully Wine doesn't need it, but it's still weird.

Reply 25 of 53, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Patch that fixes the issue with Star Destroyers not shooting in Tie Fighter (Windows), made compatible with the GOG version.

Attachments

• Filename
    Tie95LaserPatch.zip
    File size
    3.56 KiB
    Downloads
    303 downloads
    File license

Reply 26 of 53, by damson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@gerwin - Thanks for the 3dH enabler patch. Although I don't use the accelerated graphics I checked it out and by accident I noticed that it helped me get rid of music dropouts in XvT BOP (when f.e. I switched target the music went silent for some random number of seconds in vanilla GOG version). I don't know how is this possible, as your patch only brings back the 3dH switch and enables Fixedclear Fix?

One more thing, is your TIE95_MUSIC.rar upload should bring back the original music score from older DOS versions during flight? As after putting it in my TIE95 install I still have John Williams score during missions.

@telegoy - about your Tie95LaserPatch? What does it exactly concerns? I have original retail CD version of Tie95 (bundled with X-Wing and XvT Flight School) for over decade now but never heard of this issue?

My youtube channel - flight sims new and old

Reply 27 of 53, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
damson wrote:

@telegoy - about your Tie95LaserPatch? What does it exactly concerns? I have original retail CD version of Tie95 (bundled with X-Wing and XvT Flight School) for over decade now but never heard of this issue?

Here's a thread about it:
http://www.gog.com/forum/star_wars_tie_fighte … 8_version/page1

Reply 28 of 53, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
damson wrote:

@gerwin - Thanks for the 3dH enabler patch. Although I don't use the accelerated graphics I checked it out and by accident I noticed that it helped me get rid of music dropouts in XvT BOP (when f.e. I switched target the music went silent for some random number of seconds in vanilla GOG version). I don't know how is this possible, as your patch only brings back the 3dH switch and enables Fixedclear Fix?

GoG forces the game to run in "DirectDraw Emulation mode", whereas the patch makes it run in normal DirectDraw or Direct3D mode. Maybe Emulation mode has some effect on the sound processing? I could not find much documentation regarding 'Emulation mode'.

damson wrote:

One more thing, is your TIE95_MUSIC.rar upload should bring back the original music score from older DOS versions during flight? As after putting it in my TIE95 install I still have John Williams score during missions.

Unfortunately the dynamic 'imuse' music system from the DOS version cannot be brought back to the windows version. The static tracks of the windows version can be replaced, and a patch adds static music to some menu areas, but that is about it.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 29 of 53, by damson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks guys for the replies. Appreciated.

@teleguy - I was not aware of the issue in Windows version, and even more so in the DOS version! Thanks for the patch.

@gerwin - oh I see, thanks again for your patch.
About the music: I'm aware that the imuse (dynamic) music system was abandoned in the Windows version, I thought your patch get rid of John Williams music during missions as well, like the TFReconstructedGOGEdition.zip patch which added it's own .ogg files containing remade versions of DOS version battle music (still static though), but personally I would prefer prerecorded midi music in high quality (as provided by you) than the reorchestrated pieces which are still awesome in their own right.

I want to replay the Tie Fighter (which I completed in 1996 IIRC) but with limited time I'm not sure which version to choose from.

Reply 30 of 53, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I will see if coming weekend allows me some time to add .ogg versions of recorded midi tracks. IIRC there were three .ogg tracks. normal, victory and failure.

Attached a midi file with a recording of the music we are talking about.

Have you considered, and were you able to source, the 1995 DOS version of TIE fighter too? That one has the imuse system and sharper 640x480 (untextured) graphics.

Attachments

• Filename
    32-ingame_recording.zip
    File size
    54.74 KiB
    Downloads
    120 downloads
    File comment
    TIE Fighter in game music midi file
    File license

Reply 31 of 53, by damson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes you are correct about 3 .ogg tracks.

I saw your attached file in the other thread already as I was searching for someone to maybe done this already (put the midi to .ogg tracks). That would be awesome if you could do that.

I have the version you are talking about on CD-ROM (since 1996 actually, played it on my Pentium 75 / 16MB RAM back in the day), About a decade ago when I discovered DOSBox (it was 0.65 or 0.63 version at the time), I dig up the old CD along with other older DOS games and made an ISO images to use with DOSBox. But never actually put enough time to complete all the campaigns again. To be honest only recently I finished X-Wing Alliance (just before it was released on GOG) despite having bought it in 2004. I started it then but never finished it. Thanks to savingcontent web page I was able to run it on my Win7 machine (had bigger problems running it on XP SP3 due to the GPU drivers issues). I tackled XvT Balance of Power after that, I still have 2 mission in Imperial campaign to complete. Next I will have to finish X-Wing, as that one despite being the oldest had toughest missions, I know that in re-released versions you can toggle "New Missions" option which makes some of the toughest missions a bit easier.

Reply 32 of 53, by damson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gerwin wrote:

I will see if coming weekend allows me some time to add .ogg versions of recorded midi tracks. IIRC there were three .ogg tracks. normal, victory and failure.

Attached a midi file with a recording of the music we are talking about.

Hey gerwin, I converted the midi file you provided myself with some online converter (mid -> ogg) and placed it in my MUSIC directory as Track02.ogg but the quality of the instruments is poor (General Midi on DOSBox sounds a lot better). So I have a request for you, could you convert the midi file "32-ingame_recording.zip" with the same method as you did with the "Tie95_MUSIC.rar " and add victory and losing .ogg files as well? Of course if you have time, if you could that would be awesome.

Reply 33 of 53, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
damson wrote:

Hey gerwin, I converted the midi file you provided myself with some online converter (mid -> ogg) and placed it in my MUSIC directory as Track02.ogg but the quality of the instruments is poor (General Midi on DOSBox sounds a lot better). So I have a request for you, could you convert the midi file "32-ingame_recording.zip" with the same method as you did with the "Tie95_MUSIC.rar " and add victory and losing .ogg files as well? Of course if you have time, if you could that would be awesome.

Rendering the already existing midi to ogg won't take me much time. 😀
Here it is: 32-ingame_recording.ogg

For the less informed: this goes in the \Tie95\MUSIC folder. The file must be renamed and copied as to replace the original Track02.ogg/Track03.ogg/Track04.ogg. Backup the original files first.

This is a temporary solution, I hope to find the time to record at least three variations.

PS: The missing TIE Fighter Collector's CD-ROM (MS-DOS/1995) has been added to the GoG package last week! Featuring 640x480 (untextured) graphics and iMuse midi music system.

Reply 34 of 53, by damson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks gerwin for the file. I will test it tomorrow. While I'm at it I will try to record the midi parts for winning and loosing mission to replace the Track03 and Track04 (through DOSBox - default CTRL+ALT+F8 to cap raw midi) as I don't know how to extract the midi from the game files. And possibly due to how iMuse generate the music on the fly you probably couldn't do that either way?

Reply 35 of 53, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That sounds like the way go, eg. playing and recording with DosBox. I will be glad to render any midi file to ogg.

I think Tarvis Talked about writing a new iMuse sequencer in the GoG forums, But I don't know the current status.

A downside of TIE fighter 95 is that is does not differentiate between suspence vs action in music. Also ogg tracks may not loop seamless.

Reply 36 of 53, by damson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks gerwin for the offer. I plan to record music for all 3 (battle, win, defeat) tracks and arrange them in midi editor so they will loop as seamless as possible. When I finish I will report back with mid files for you to convert. May take a week or so, as currently I don't have the time for simple pleasures 😉

Reply 37 of 53, by damson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey Gerwin.

I have recorded some sample mid for editing, but when I cut some part of the mid the remaining part sounds different (notes are being played by different instruments). I never edited midi files before although I have big experience with module trackers (Fast Tracker 2, Mad Tracker etc...). Probably with the removeal of some part of the song something more is altered, I'm not fully familiar with midi structure (tried editing with MidiEditor and with Reaper, get the same result).

So I figured that I will provide the unedited files for you to convert to ,ogg so I can edit them later in audacity. It isn't perfect solution (the cuts in ogg file can be noticeable since you are cutting the waveform instead of an instruction to play the instrument note in mid), but at least the instruments set will be proper.

Here's the link for the mids:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0lKDHW-A6jq … 2pvTTVhdHc/view

fail_edited.mid - example of edited file (with wrong instruments) [don't convert to .ogg]
tie_000.mid - sample containing failing mission music
tie_001.mid - sample containing primary, secondary and bonus goals achieved music

Edit: I think I know why the instruments gets replaced - the entire time the the music plays there are constant events (for example "Program Change Event") which swaps instruments for specific channels. So when I cut some part of the song, the notes as well as events gets cut, so I would have to keep track of the all the events that have been cut along with the notes and set the instruments for each channel accordingly to keep the part which I want to retain to sound the same as the original. Lot of work to say the least.

I will try one more thing: record only the part which I want: winning/loosing bit (instead of the music from whole mission as I did in the first place) and see how it will look in editor and if the problem will be less severe (as there will be a lot less to cut out).

Reply 38 of 53, by damson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I resolved the issues with the instruments. As I thought each music part thrown in dynamically can alter instrument set. So you have take care what are you editing and pay attention to the instruments being used at the moment. After some fiddling with the recordings I came up with these:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0lKDHW-A6jq … iew?usp=sharing

two tracks for now to replace Track03 (win) and Track04 (lose). Didn't test it yet in game since I'm waiting for gerwin to convert them to .ogg with his fine soundfont.