VOGONS

First post, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found these sound cards a while ago in scrap. Does anyone know more about them? (click pics for larger version)

Lm0eq1Ol.jpg
Pretty simple card here. Has a Diamond Technologies DT-0297F chip. Looks fairly boring but then I don't know anything about it.

fZb6dvCl.jpg
Another simple card. There's a SoundPro HT1869V+ chip on here, and potentially interesting SPDIF in/out headers.

S5VxjPfl.jpg
ExpertMedia MED3240/41/90/91 VER1.0. Has the boring 82C924+AD1845JP chipset, with fake OPL3 (LS-212). But it looks like there's a wavetable synth on board too (82C941). Are these any good?

B40NXxjl.jpg
This one's probably easy but I don't know anything about MediaVision cards. Has JAZZ16+MVA514+MVA416 chips and OPL3 (but no YAC512). What's the full name of this card, and, is it any good?

JHy0STTl.jpg
Probably the most interesting card of the lot. There's an ASC TROUPER 4X4 chip on here, an Intel N8051AH MC4X4, and a (Sierra?) SC18075CV. Unfortunately, someone carefully removed (ahem) five other chips, headphone amp, and the gameport connector. 🙁

cYgCIqSl.jpg
Aztech card with AZT2316R. Does this card have anything special, besides the modem?

6tuePDBl.jpg
Toptek Golden Sound. I can spot an OPL2 here, but does this card have any other capabilities? The TMC marked chips are PALs and I believe the big chip on top is an Intel microcontroller.

Reply 1 of 3, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That MediaVision card is actually called Jazz16, not very useful except for the OPL3 tho.

The TopTek card might actually be Creative CMS compatible - maybe take a peek under the stickers - 2 of those could be SAA1099 chips.

The rest looks pretty uninteresting/budget style stuff, except for the second to last card which I can't identify.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 2 of 3, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shock__ wrote:

The TopTek card might actually be Creative CMS compatible - maybe take a peek under the stickers - 2 of those could be SAA1099 chips.

I was thinking the same thing - the TopTek, more than likely, would be an early Sound Blaster clone.

Those Aztech sound/modem combo cards were used by Packard Bell for years. Nothing too special outside of genuine OPL3. The rest of the cards seem to be boring cheapo stuff, Jazz16 aside.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 3 of 3, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are PAL chips under the stickers and the big chip in the corner is an Intel 87C51. The AD1408 (R2R parallel DAC, 8bit mono) is connected directly to it. All other chips are TTL logic and some op-amps.