VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 80 of 96, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to attempt to dig up some old game whose source code is available and that happens to crash? It may be feasible to trace the crash down to some particular function. I can't think of anything offhand that would apply, though. You could also try flipping through the executables with a hex editor to see if maybe there's something identifiable that they have in common (perhaps traces of some particular SDK?), but that is increasingly wishful thinking.

Reply 81 of 96, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to attempt to dig up some old game whose source code is available and that happens to crash? It may be feasible to trace the crash down to some particular function. I can't think of anything offhand that would apply, though. You could also try flipping through the executables with a hex editor to see if maybe there's something identifiable that they have in common (perhaps traces of some particular SDK?), but that is increasingly wishful thinking.

You just need a debugger and some assembly knowledge I'd say.
Something not within reach of the average guy though

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 82 of 96, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I might have a new angle on this, something I never thought of so far, and forgot from my PC spec in my signature... I'm running a Corsair H100i water cooling system, and noticed this post over here: http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129762

Whilst that refers to DX9 games, which tend to be fine for me, it could be another line of enquiry to look into...

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 83 of 96, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IT WORKED!

Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2 and Jetboat Superchamps 2 both work now! Some other games don't, but they have different issues I think.

All I did was disable the HID compliant item it found on my system (rather than unplugging the USB from the cooler).

Of course, now the fans aren't CPU controlled, but I'll look into other options later, at least now I have the root cause!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 84 of 96, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good Googling. 😀

It might be worthwhile to see if the NirSoft USB tools cause a crash, but then, since those have nothing to do with DirectX, that might be a stretch.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_log_view.html
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Reply 86 of 96, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This whole endeavour did cost me about £9 though, as the SATA connector snapped on my 4TB Western Digital Black drive, so I had to RMA it back to WD, which cost nearly £9!

Reply 88 of 96, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nothing that I didn't try disconnecting in previous tests! I was thinking it had to be motherboard or CPU, totally overlooking the water cooling system!

I wonder if I can connect it to PSU/case instead and control the fans with the case speed switch, as I do with the other fans?

Alternatively I could try installing the CLink software, but people said on that forum it doesn't help with the crashes.

More news probably later in the weekend or early next week...

Reply 90 of 96, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't need it now, unless you also run the H100i watercolour fans?

Reply 92 of 96, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BuckoA51 wrote:

My cooler is the CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CW-9060007-WW) I don't remember any software coming with it at all.

It doesn't, but the higher models plug into an internal USB port and do. I've got a H60 and one of the reason I went for it rather than a more expensive model was the possibility that a driver or flashable firmware controlled cooler could either cause problems or get bricked. From this and other reports it seems I was right to worry.

Reply 93 of 96, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay I tested and I can remove the USB link cable altogether, it's really just for monitoring in Windows (and to set the colour of the LED on the cooling unit 🤣). The fans still spin up when things get hot.

So now NFSHP2 and the Jetboat Superchamp games both work. Blip & Blop still likes crashing if you press Escape during the intro.

Sega Rally 2 now works, and I have music through _inmm.dll, so that's good.

However some games still don't work, but that's probably something else... still have to retest the ones I have logged as broken first! More news on that anyway at another time. More games to install still, first!

Reply 94 of 96, by hmm45

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello,
I would like to play Blip n Blop virtually, but I cannot get it to work (tried win764 or xp86, doesn't even launch, error follows either primary surface error or uk.dat not found)

now, I do know that I could just do it on my main machine (w10, which works with no crashes), but I do not want to launch any .exes from random websites (it's sort of like eating an apple or something with not washed hands)

Reply 95 of 96, by mrpenguinb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
hmm45 wrote:

hello,
I would like to play Blip n Blop virtually, but I cannot get it to work (tried win764 or xp86, doesn't even launch, error follows either primary surface error or uk.dat not found)

now, I do know that I could just do it on my main machine (w10, which works with no crashes), but I do not want to launch any .exes from random websites (it's sort of like eating an apple or something with not washed hands)

Use Windows 10's Sandbox feature if you can. You have to be running Windows 10 Professional however to use it.

Otherwise, submit the files you are suspicious of to VirusTotal.com to see if the file(s) are malicious.
Please create a new forum thread/post with your issues instead of using other threads to do so.
This forum on Vogons is only for running games on currently supported versions of Windows (not XP, or even Vista, Windows 7 will soon be unsupported).

Reply 96 of 96, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mrpenguinb wrote:

This forum on Vogons is only for running games on currently supported versions of Windows (not XP, or even Vista, Windows 7 will soon be unsupported).

... That interpretation is probably taking things a little far...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto