VOGONS

C&C Red Alert

Topic actions

First post, by Juggler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I have finally installed C&C RA but when I start it, screen turns black and nothing happens. CDROM is properly mounted.
CPU: Athlon, 1 GHz

What can I do?

Juggler

Reply 1 of 6, by THE_WUQKED

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of: DOS or Windows version?
If windows version: Have you tried comp modes yet and setting res to 640x400 (or was it 640x480?) with the red-alert config tool? I even had to do so in Win Me for the windows version, otherwise black screen as well.
If it's the dos version: Sorry, can't help you there 🙁

Reply 2 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

This is DOSBOX only forum. Discussions of Windows version belong elsewhere.
The same applies for any problems with running the game natively (without DOSBOX).

Mirek

Reply 3 of 6, by Juggler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Red Alert offers both a Win95 Setup and a DOS Setup. The Windows Setup failed (yes, I have tried comp mode), so I used DOSBox 0.61 to install it to C:\Games\Dosgames\CC. No Problem so far. In DOSBox, I mount my CDROM drive with 'mount e e:\ -t cdrom' and my HD with 'mount c c:\' When I try to execute ra.exe in \games\dosgames\cc, that DOS/4GW stuff appears and the screen turns black after a few seconds.
What is wrong ? 😕

Juggler

Reply 4 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Try adding -ioctl when mounting CD. IOCTL has better compatibility than standard SDL mounting.
I do not have the game, so I do not know whether this helps.or not

Mirek

Reply 6 of 6, by THE_WUQKED

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Although this is the dosbox-thread, I still think that might help you (if no one else knows a way how to get it working under dosbox):
I had the exact same problem when trying to install the windows version (and with comp mode) under xp, and I found two helpfull tips:
1. install it on a 9x pc and copy the files to your xp machine, that normally works
2. you can try out the Red Alert Installer available on the net - it deactivates lan-game, though. I won't link it here, cause thes only side I know where to get it also offers warez. 🙁 The installer itself is legal, though (it just fixes the nstall prob, you still need the cds). So you'd have to search for it by yourself.