VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Twinsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everybody,

I tried to install Hexen II on Win XP, from the original french CD.
The menu is launched, but when I click on "Install"... well, nothing happens.
Obviously, it's the same when I dbl-click on "setup.exe" from the install directory of the disc.

I tried setting compatibility with Win 95, but it doesn't change a thing.

Have you ever encountered that problem ? 😒

"Your clones are very impressive..."
- 'Want to see mine ?

Reply 2 of 10, by ableeker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Weird, though I don't have the French version, it so happens that I installed Hexen II on windows XP just recently. I had no problems installing the game. I started setup.exe, and clicked Install. The only thing is that in most cases you must remove Opengl32.dll from the install folder, it only works with a Voodoo card.

Reply 3 of 10, by Twinsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I have a GeForce 4...

It's really weird, cause I tried on a friend's computer, who also has XP, and the install works. I wonder if it's not because of the "a" version of DX9... ?

- 'Want to see mine ?

Reply 4 of 10, by ableeker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro. I don't know about DirectX, I mean 9.0 wasn't even around then, was it? Besides, Hexen II uses OpenGL. You could try upgrading, though. I use 9.0c, I downloaded it of the Microsoft site.

Reply 6 of 10, by Twinsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm Back 😉

Well, I updated to Direct X 9.0c, and now, the install works. Don't ask why 🤣

A few tips for those who want to run GL Hexen under XP.
You have to delete the "glide32.dll" file from your "Hexen II" directory. Then make a shortcut of "glh2.exe". In the properties, type, for example, " "D:\Games\Hexen II\glh2.exe" -width 1024 -height 768 -bpp 32" " if you want to run the game in Open GL 1024x768 32 bits.

Other tip : in the data subdirectory, you can edit the autoexec.bat of the game, with the mouse look always on (" +mlook "), which is not automatic in the game, and the shadows (" r_shadows 1 ").
Personnally, I skipped the shadows, cause, you'll see, they look uuuugggglllyyy... 😉

At last : all those tips can be applied to GL Quake.

Last edited by Twinsen on 2004-09-01, 10:05. Edited 1 time in total.

- 'Want to see mine ?

Reply 7 of 10, by ableeker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That is totally weird! Oh well, as long as it installs... We'll have to keep that one in mind. You're other tips are good too. I'll have to look again at these shadows again, never noticed them.

Reply 8 of 10, by Twinsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, this is truly weird !!!

About the shadows, you'll see, they are quite good for the monsters, but they always stay straight, so if there is a tree next a cliff, the shadow does not adjust to the cliff.

(I don't know if it's clear... as I'm french, my english is not so good !)

- 'Want to see mine ?

Reply 9 of 10, by ableeker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I get what you're saying, sounds interesting, I'll definitely have a look again.

Your English is excellent, you know what they say, it's bound to be better than my French!