VOGONS

USB ISA cards?

Topic actions

First post, by frisky dingo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Has anyone here used an isa usb controller card before?
How do to perform? Do they work well? Can they be booted from? I'm guessing a pci usb card would be better in every way possible.

I attached an image of one for those who never seen one.

EDIT:1
My thought is that this would be a simple way to get data on or off an older 486/386/286 system. And maybe mouse/keyboard.

Attachments

• ISA_USB_1.jpg
    Filename
    ISA_USB_1.jpg
    File size
    46.89 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by frisky dingo on 2015-05-11, 17:58. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 167, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A ISA USB controller with DOS drivers would be AWSOME!

It would solve the problem with older PCs that don't come with PS/2 ports for mice! We could finally get rid of serial ball mice - provided the drivers worked right.

Reply 2 of 167, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think I've ever seen that one, looks like a modern card? Can you tell me more about it?

I did a lot of research into ISA USB cards back around 2003-2005, I may still have my notes somewhere.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 3 of 167, by frisky dingo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Drivers would be the problem, this is why I can't see them being that useful.
But the page I found the image on says the card came with a flash card driver.
Here is the page I found it on.
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/entry … -it-is-possible!!!

Stiletto wrote:

I don't think I've ever seen that one, looks like a modern card? Can you tell me more about it?

I did a lot of research into ISA USB cards back around 2003-2005, I may still have my notes somewhere.

Form the page I found it on, it's a USB ISA CH375 card and can be bought from china for around 20$. I found one site selling it for about 24 USD.
I think a dual port 16bit card would be far more usable for a use mouse/keyboard, but drivers might be a problem.

Reply 4 of 167, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

did some testing some 5 years ago with a pci card and the mass storage driver: All you need for USB mass storage support in pure DOS, fast!!!

I wouldn't hold my breath on the whole usb+dos situation though...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 167, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't need mass storage drivers - just Human Interface Device drivers. I got mass storage drivers working on a 486 with windows 95 and a NEC PCI USB 2.0 card - worked great under Windows - but win95 doesn't come with HID drivers, so I'm stuck with a 486 with USB 2.0 and no mouse (Serial ports are fried / no PS2 header). Shame, it's a fast one too... 512kb on board cache, EDO support and up to 16,4GB HDD support in bios...

Reply 7 of 167, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't have one 🙁

Will get one later this week out of an old 486SX. I also found a PCI controller with 2xPS/2 and 2xUSB. It looks like it might have a tiny KB controller on it besides the USB controller. Kind of expensive, and I don't know if it will work under DOS, but I'll buy it and give it a shot.

http://www.pcgarage.ro/adaptoare/4world/pci-2x-ps2-2x-usb/

Reply 8 of 167, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AFAIK these combined PS/2 + USB controllers won't work either in DOS or Windows (without HID drivers). They are just normal USB cards with a PS/2->USB adapter onboard.

Reply 9 of 167, by TandySensation

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I move data to and from old computers through an ISA network adapter or I take the disk out and mount it in a newer PC to move the necessary installs, sneaker net also works. A USB ISA card might be neat, if you can even find one, but I wouldn't bother, it's not period correct, wont work correctly, and might use use up some of your 640K memory.

Reply 12 of 167, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For data transfers a CF card on an adapter mounted on the case (bracket type) is convenient. You can access it without opening the case, you insert it in a card reader on the main PC and just copy files to it. Haven't tried this card in particular, but I must say that my experience with dos+usb is not that positive until now.

Reply 14 of 167, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Yeh I'd assume it's just useful for accessing usb mouse/keyboard.
It would all depend on the drivers, better stick to compact flash if you want easy removable storage.

Reply 15 of 167, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
konc wrote:

For data transfers a CF card on an adapter mounted on the case (bracket type) is convenient. You can access it without opening the case, you insert it in a card reader on the main PC and just copy files to it. Haven't tried this card in particular, but I must say that my experience with dos+usb is not that positive until now.

+1.

Something like this will solve practical data transfer problems from DOS computers:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40-pin-IDE-Connector- … =item1c38acc0c6

If you are willing to shell out considerably more money for it, there are even these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STARTECH-COM-35BAYCF2 … =item418ee32cd8

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 17 of 167, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjt wrote:

Are these IDE->CF adaptors hotswappable? That's the main advantage of sneakernet using USB sticks.

No, but I also don't think that in DOS there are any USB drivers that allow it

Reply 18 of 167, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ correct, in my test hot-swapping was not an option, each time you changed a usb mass storage device you needed to reboot.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 19 of 167, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why not just get a network card and transfer stuff that way? USB 1.0 and pre-98 OSes sounds like nothing but trouble.

A USB 1.0 interface, especially over USB, is essentially only good for HID... if you can even get it working.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98