VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've found if I install the MBTR demo, then the game will work (with some broken graphics) with music/sound (p.s. if you DO try the demo and also have the full game, just open the demo installer win 7Zip and drag out the GAME folder to play it, otherwise it'll clash with the main game install and it all gets very messy indeed!).

The full game, however, once patched to the latest 1.1.1.0 release (fixes the graphics bugs) has no music/sound. When I first ran the game it said it had issues and that compatibility settings had been applied, however the game doesn't feature in ACT (apart from where I added it to increase the framerate via NoGDIHWAcceleration), so I'm not sure where the compatibility fixes come from.

Weirder still, if I then rename the executable from TruckRacing.exe (the demo is called the same) to (for example) TruckRacing2.exe, then the game will work WITH music/sound.

So somewhere, Windows is nobbling the game! There's no Compatibility tab for this exe file either, where the demo version DOES have this visible.

Any ideas? I searched for all compatibility references to TruckRacing.exe in the Registry and deleted them, but the issue persists.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 2 of 11, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you're talking ACT then I searched that and only my fix appears, if I install the fix.

If you mean the simpler compatibility administrator, where you can apply compatibility modes (I.E. Troubleshooter) then even if I select to remove anything applied it makes no difference!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 3 of 11, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You said truckrace.exe runs with no compatibility modes, are you sure you're looking in the right place? It should automatically set DWM8and16BitMitigation on Win8 systems and I'm pretty sure you're running Win8.

I can't reproduce, but I'm thinking it's possible you're somehow running mbtr_setup.exe and truckrace.exe with different compatibility flags, I'm not sure since I disabled a lot of the virtualization things, but if for example the config app was run as admin and the game is not... Maybe the game just thinks sound is disabled.

If you want to test that you can use process monitor to check where the config app writes its reg entries and if the game reads them from the same place.

Reply 4 of 11, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not massively bothered, as I renamed the game's version of TruckRace.exe to TruckRaceB.exe and now it works with sound and the NoGDIHWAcceleration fix to get >30fps on my Win8.1

MBTR_Setup.exe also has a "Windows shield" graphic on it, implying something's been changed (brings up UAC prompt when run, like any game with a compatibility mode on it).

Process Monitor I will be looking at soon, as I try to get F1 2000, F1 Championship Season 2000 and F1 2001 to work (curiously the very similar F1 2002 works fine, as does Sports Car GT, the engine that went on to drive F1 2000, although SCGT uses nGlide).

Reply 5 of 11, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

another thing to consider, a problem I just ran into: some games set their volume to 0% with Win Vista+ per application volume control. So check the Windows sound mixer. And yes, that's saved per filename.

Reply 6 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What video hardware are you using? I had the impression that drivers from NVidia and ATI had their own internal compatibility databases, though I don't know how you would get to them.

Reply 7 of 11, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you're asking me, is in my signature 😉

Reply 8 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh, right. So apparently the per-application settings are in "Manage 3D Settings".
http://www.howtogeek.com/175281/how-to-force- … intel-graphics/

It seems to work on the basis of EXE names, and there is indeed an entry for truckrace.exe.

nvidia.jpg
Filename
nvidia.jpg
File size
65.82 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 11, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah yes, that area... I'll check it out!

Reply 10 of 11, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It does indeed have the game, but the settings are all "Use global setting", so there shouldn't be anything too funky going on.

Reply 11 of 11, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If it's in that list it's also possible it has some hidden Nvidia compatibility flags. You can use Nvidia Inspector to look at that and also eventually delete the profile. I already tried this though, it made no difference.