VOGONS

Common searches

Ugly Tiles

Topic actions

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

The new wrapper works great, but I'm still getting those ugly dark tiles appearing after I enter a dogfight. If I pause the game, and change my game resolution, they disappear, for a while. Any workaround for this?

Reply 1 of 6, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think it is a problem with RB, and if so there may be no way to fix it.

I've heard reports that this happens on Voodoo 2 cards, which is what makes me think it is in RB.

Also there are games like Redguard that hammer the living daylights out of OpenGLide's texture cacheing but never show a single wrong texture.

Still that doesn't prove it.

Reply 3 of 6, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Didn't someone say something about there being a problem when you have OpenGLide emulating more than 2MB of VRAM?

Someone mentioned a problem with Voodoo2 that could be cured by making RB think it had only 2MB of VRAM. That setting isn't really an option in OpenGLide: it would run slow as hell, because RB would have to repeatedly send Glide textures, which OpenGLide would have to convert to OpenGL. At least I believe that would be unworkable, and I think I tried it out.

Reply 4 of 6, by Mahoney

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's definitely an RB bug; it happens when running in Glide with any Voodoo with more than 2MB texture memory, if you are using 3rd party textures larger than those that came with the original game. Generally speaking it is a combination of large 3rd party terrain/plane textures with the 3rd party fire and flak graphics that set it off, and as noted changing screen resolutions fixes it until the next time fire or flak is encountered. Either Dynamix never knew about it as an issue because of the textures they used, or else they deliberately kept their textures small as a workaround. The other workaround for Voodoo2/3/4/5's is to limit texture memory to 2MB.

So it's definitely not an issue with OpenGLide, and it sounds as if it wouldn't be possible to do a sort of backwards software fix using OpenGLide? Pity, but just one of those things.

Rob

Reply 5 of 6, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the info Mahoney. Saves a lot of hunting for something that isn't there.

I believe there are people trying to wrestle the source off Sierra. If they are successful, then there could be a solution.

Reply 6 of 6, by VonHelton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Glidos wrote:

Thanks for the info Mahoney. Saves a lot of hunting for something that isn't there.

I believe there are people trying to wrestle the source off Sierra. If they are successful, then there could be a solution.

Never happen, G-man...........

Si(hi?)erra is stubbornly hanging onto the "Red Baron" name, as well as the sorce code.

........Why? Dunno.........The game is old, outdated, and made out of sloppy code, by their own admission.