VOGONS

Reply 1300 of 27364, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
alexanrs wrote:

/\ WoW performance varies a lot depending on the área you are in. Also, RAIDs used to bring my Athlon64 to its knees in WotLK and in Cataclysm my Pentium D 925 was already showing it age, and performance greatly improved (even on a DDR2 GT8600 and using a cheap VIA-based chipset w/o Dual Channel) when I upgraded to a Core2Duo E6700

WotLK was the last expansion I raided in. I was using a i7 920@4.2 with an overclocked HD4870 at the time. Even with such a fast system the frame rate dropped uncomfortable low at times while raiding. Single play isnt as taxing on the CPU though and even some dungeons ran OKish in MoP with the P4. With the new character models the P4 probably wont cut it any more but Im thinking of trying the Pentium D 965 EE, it should at least provide playable frame rates.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 1301 of 27364, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I finally found a 1000MHz 100FSB Slot 1 P3, so I upgraded my main build from 700MHz. This is a Dell Optiplex GX1 that originally came with a 333MHz P2. I love this OEM box. Only drawback (a big one) is no AGP. I have a Seattle board that I'll build around eventually, but this GX1 is plenty speedy with an FX5500 PCI.

Reply 1302 of 27364, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Messed around with themes in MATE on my fedora 21 computer (aka my main PC) and man I live this new theme setup. 🤣

Attachments

• Desktop95.png
    Filename
    Desktop95.png
    File size
    211.44 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1303 of 27364, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ what you need to perfect that is those vectorized TTF versions of MS Sans Serif everywhere

Someone asked me to do this.

Attachments

• deeper.png
    Filename
    deeper.png
    File size
    27.86 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1304 of 27364, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Now all you need is a theme to get Firefox to look like IE4/5 and use QMMP xD Pure retro-looking eye-candy!

Anyway, I find it amazing how much better the Win9x interface (98+ especially) aged compared to XP. And to think people (myself included) used stuff like WindowBlinds to replace the default UI with swimming fishes on the title bar...
Oh god, now I have to find a copy of WindowBlinds to check how tacky the built-in themes were.

Reply 1306 of 27364, by y2k se

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
boxpressed wrote:

I finally found a 1000MHz 100FSB Slot 1 P3

I think several of us found them. Mine replaced a 800 MHz Coppermine that itself replaced a 600 MHz Katmai.

Tualatin Celeron 1.4 + Powerleap PL-IP3/T, ASUS P2B, 512 MB RAM, GeForce 4 Ti 4200, Voodoo2 SLI, AWE64, 32GB IDE SSD, Dell 2001FP

Reply 1308 of 27364, by darksheer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
carlostex wrote:

Are those switches momentary on/off like the RESET or ATX switches, or do they stay on and off permanently like the old turbo switches? If they do stay permanentely i'll be interested in them as well, i think i'll use them for FSB settings instead of jumpers.

Sorry for this late response, it works effectively like turbo switches and original AT power switches : press it once and it will stay on, press it again and it will turn back to off.

It can be found easily with those keywords : "Torch Latching Push Button Switch DPDT" for the size I took the 8mm ones 😀

Reply 1309 of 27364, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
y2k se wrote:

I think several of us found them. Mine replaced a 800 MHz Coppermine that itself replaced a 600 MHz Katmai.

I know what you're talking about. What's funny is that a couple of days before I read about the NIB OEM CPUs, I bought a matched pair of used ones. I went ahead and bought a NIB one anyway. So after months of looking for one, I now have three. I even bought a Slotket and a 900MHz socket CPU because I didn't want to overpay for a Slot 1 1000MHz.

Reply 1310 of 27364, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Figured out why this P4 system is having random shutdowns and freezes. The owners replaced the old dead PSU with a 585W Orion unit. That is just the model name to fool people, it is really a much lower wattage unit and offers a measly 15amps on the 12v rail. It even has a 6 pin pcie connector on it!!! Far to weak for this monstrous power sucker of a system.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 1311 of 27364, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ODwilly wrote:

Figured out why this P4 system is having random shutdowns and freezes. The owners replaced the old dead PSU with a 585W Orion unit. That is just the model name to fool people, it is really a much lower wattage unit and offers a measly 15amps on the 12v rail. It even has a 6 pin pcie connector on it!!! Far to weak for this monstrous power sucker of a system.

Does it possibly have a lot of power on the +5v rail instead? A lot of power supplies were designed like that back before most systems started using +12v for 80% of the computer parts. It may not be a under-powered unit, just might be not designed for P4 and newer systems so well. I have a few like that here. One in my AthlonXP system has 55 amps on +5v, but only 12 amps on +12v.

Reply 1312 of 27364, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ya it has a strongish +5 and +3.3 rail, the thing is that this is clearly a newer 24pin PSU with SATA and pcie connectors purchased within the past year. My 10+ year old 300 watt Sparkle 20pin powersupply has the same amperage on the 12v for example and even has the old school 6 pin auxiliary connector and around the same amperage on the +3.3 and +5v rails. The sparkle also passes the heft test while this Orion does not.

Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 1313 of 27364, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I pulled an Intel DX4 Write-Back off a weird ISA comm board I thought was a system on board. Lots of pictures and speedsys results here: Rescuing an Intel DX4 100MHz 16KB WB CPU from an unidentified ISA board

Reply 1314 of 27364, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Awesome, they're pretty snappy processors those ones, well worth saving.

Today, I messed with my Satellite Pro 410CDT... Toshiba have just removed the drivers and BIOS from their site. I will mirror the ones I still have shortly, this is getting silly.

I also tackled the non-functioning LAN on my POD rig... It appears the sound card is to blame again, I'll just use InterLink for now. I sincerely doubt that all Ensoniq SoundScapes were garbage and think that, if the VGA was anything to go by, SPEA are probably the ones to blame for messing with the firmware. We already know from the video card allocating addresses 0x220, 240, 260 and IRQ 5+7 to itself regardless of if they were in use that they weren't very good at this... I still want to fix that video card, I need to track down a CS4920.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 1316 of 27364, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Built a system around a scrap $1.27 Goodwill Socket 939 motherboard. Opteron 170, weird mix of DDR400/266 for a total of 3gb running at 333mhz, 60gb Corsair SSD, old typical beige atx case with green mac G3 lookalike plastic accents, Geforce 8600gt and a 120gb storage drive. Overall it does real well running Windows 7 64bit. Edit: Motherboard is an Asus A8N-E

Reply 1317 of 27364, by Runicen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tonight, I finally installed my "new" SB16 (CT2980) with Roland Sound Canvas (SCD-15) along with a Voodoo2 Card (Diamond Monster 3D II) in my Pentium 200 system. I suspect I won't be able to squeeze maximum use out of any of this hardware until I finally get around to installing Windows 98 on this box. DOS can only do so much...

Oddly enough, I'm having weird variance between the MIDI output of the Roland and the digital sound of the SB16. I'm going to wait until I'm fresh tomorrow and take a look at the SB16 jumpers to see if they give me any kind of clue. I'm running the whole thing through an external amplifier, but both the Line Out and Speaker Outs are weird on this front.

Sadly, I also think the new sound hardware is tweaking out my save game in Little Big Adventure, so I'll have to restart that one...

Reply 1318 of 27364, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

EVwND7sl.jpg

Friendly reminder that old paint programs are fun to mess around with. Also highlights a (relatively modern) game that I've really gotten into over the past week or so: Dust: An Elysian Tail. In case you're wondering, the paint program I used here is 8/16 Paint, for the Apple IIgs.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 1319 of 27364, by Runicen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sutekh94 wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/EVwND7sl.jpg […]
Show full quote

EVwND7sl.jpg

Friendly reminder that old paint programs are fun to mess around with. Also highlights a (relatively modern) game that I've really gotten into over the past week or so: Dust: An Elysian Tail. In case you're wondering, the paint program I used here is 8/16 Paint, for the Apple IIgs.

Two thumbs up for the Dust reference.

I'm actually sorry that I haven't played it in a while. It runs at a crawl on my new machine, which is a six core AMD box... Something about it doesn't like the new hardware, sadly.