VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hiya!

I am looking to build a simple gameport->midi-out adapter for some tests (not interested to get one from eBay) and I have found some schematics online. Keep in mind I only need the OUT port - playback only:

a. google image search result:

qoinpx.jpg

b. http://www.cryogenius.com/hardware/sbmidi/

mr8vpg.jpg

py53m.jpg

Would the simple "A" schematic work? I could easily test it but don't want to damage anything... else I'll go the 74LS00 route. Btw, do the ebay cables contain inverters and optocouplers in them?
Thoughts? 😊
TIA!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1 of 4, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, sometimes sound cards have large current sink ability on TXD line, but I would not count on it. It depends on sound card (era, make, model) and where the signal is coming from anyway. Sometimes it may come directly from a weak LSI chip. So if you know your sound card, go ahead, it should not break anything.

However, if you put some buffering there, it will always work with all sound cards and protect it by blowing your buffer first in case of ESD or something (although the next device should have a optocoupler so they are galvanically isolated so this should not happen).

With a buffer, you can also use spare gates to drive multiple outputs or activity LEDs.

Reply 3 of 4, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This was discussed when I created a small Gameport->MIDI project that would allow MIDI and the gameport to be used at the same time. Still haven't gotten around to building it, mostly because of me being cheap and having a hard time finding a good place to get it done. See it here:
Small warm up project - Gameport/MIDI box

Reply 4 of 4, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

thanks for the info!
I'll go the 74LS00 way , alexanrs's way is very nice too but it would look ugly without a pcb 😉

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website