VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Chaotical

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Its not a problem, just some questions.

Is it possible to first install a game in windows on your hard drive, then run the game through dos, and if, how do you run it in dos?

how do you enter Dos mode on a XP pc?

Motherboard: Asus p4-s8 x-x
Pentium 4 3 ghz
2 gb ram
Radeon 9800 xt 256 mb
Sound blaster audigy LS

Wise man say, Old games are kick ass.

Reply 1 of 10, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is no DOS in Windows XP.

If you're lucky the DOS game will work without any effort (but you need to be pretty lucky!).

Otherwise you might need VDMsound to emulate soundcard/DOS CD-ROM driver (at a minimum) or DOSBox to emulate most of DOS.

If the game in question used high-res then DOSBox may be too slow to be playable.

Have a hunt around the other forums here.

Ice

Reply 2 of 10, by Dr. Riptide

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I might be a little old-fashioned, but I'm not as big a DOSBox fan as many others are. I like to use a DOS bootdisk. It is much faster and more compatible than DOSBox. It's also easier to use; no mounting to worry about. The only catch is that your hard drive must be formatted with the FAT file system; NTFS will not work. If you are interested, my faveroite bootdisk can be found at http://www.abandonia.com.

Reply 3 of 10, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did try for some time a bootdisk but it does not work ok! You have to be very lucky to find dos drivers for your soundcard and most digital joysticks will not function in pure dos. And finally when you get the game started, it still might not work. I have no idea why, but I for example couldn't get Cyberia to work on anything > p200. Could be the AGP card, could be the processor, don't know. DOSBox takes care of all these problems. And I'm sure sometime in the future x86 will be no more so dosbox is our only hope 😀

Reply 4 of 10, by Dr. Riptide

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, as always, your mileage may vary. The games I try usually work, but I have never played Cyberia, so I can't speak for it. You are right about the future, though; DOSox and programs like it will be the only option soon.

Intel Q6600 (2.4 GHz) | 4GB RAM | GeForce 8800 GT | Windows 7 64-bit

Reply 7 of 10, by Chaotical

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yeah. but.. The feeling of a old 98. nothing can beat that you know =P. I think i got a old 95 somewhere on the attic to.. maybe im gonna get that one to =P

Reply 8 of 10, by Banquo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I started feeling nostalgic for 98 also a while back, but it didn't take me very long to change my mind. After fighting a whole day with it trying to get all of my hardware installed with no crashes or conflicts, and even then getting all those lovely crash messages I formatted the drive and put XP back on. I had forgotten what a pita the 9x line was; NT has me spoiled now. 😁

I was trying to install it on a pretty modern PC however so that could explain why it was so problematic. Seems to run well enough on my old P266 PC (but it still crashes left and right). I'll stick with XP and a boot disk from now on. I have a small FAT partition just for old games. My boot disk has SoundBlaster Live! SB16 drivers for DOS and a good mouse driver, so it works pretty well. I even have a Voodoo I card installed for those DOS games that use it, like GTA. 😀

Reply 9 of 10, by Chaotical

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, im starting to think about that boot disk. So, do anyone know where i can get any good drivers for my soundcard/grafikcard/mouse and other stuff needed.

Reply 10 of 10, by Dr. Riptide

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I really like http://www.driverguide.com for just about every driver you can think of.

Also, I have attached an archive of the bootdisk that I use. It is based on the Home of the Underdogs bootdisk, but with many modifications. It expects to find Sound Blaster emulation drivers in C:\dosdrv (they don't fit on the floppy). If you don't have or need these drivers, then just remove the last line in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file.

Attachments

• Filename
    Bootdisk.zip
    File size
    330.25 KiB
    Downloads
    124 downloads
    File comment
    My bootdisk
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Intel Q6600 (2.4 GHz) | 4GB RAM | GeForce 8800 GT | Windows 7 64-bit