VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mell32

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This game does not want to install on my XP. It starts the installation normally but blocks after a while and ends with an error message.

I wrote to ubisoft support who just told me not to run it on XP, but I know there are people who can do it.

I have no idea of why or how computer work but I tried what I could.

I tried these things already without success: stop autorun and start installation directly from the cd (sometimes helps)

Compatility mode in every posiible way

I read in some place it might have to do with seperated hard drives, so I thought why not make my dosbox let the game think I have only one hard drive? It has not been a good idea. I already said I have no idea...

I downloaded every patch I could find, but of course they won´t install untill I haven´t installed Exile.

Is there a trick, programme, anything I can get or do to make it work? Here are so many people who know so much about everything, so, if one of you has a minute?

mell32

Reply 1 of 5, by mell32

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

sorry, its me again, I forgot some details:
Motherboard? not sure I found it can it be ASUS
Graphic: Nvidia GeForce 2 400
Processor Pentium III 1 Ghz, 128 Ram
XP Home edition
Don´t know anything else but the computer is from 2002.

mell32

Reply 2 of 5, by Dr. Riptide

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Need you to clarify a couple of things:

1. What error message are you getting?
2. Are you trying to do a full install (all 4 disks) or the smaller install (first disk only)?

Intel Q6600 (2.4 GHz) | 4GB RAM | GeForce 8800 GT | Windows 7 64-bit

Reply 3 of 5, by mell32

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried both complete and "small" installation. In both I would go through the install preparation, the licence blablabla, etc with ok, ok, ok... as always (also have tried to install to different folders to see if that works), than the installation starts, you will follow the process with the blue bar - soandso many % installed ...) and at about 45% (small installation) or 27% (complete) it just stays there for half an hour and then the message appears and thats it.

I have the Spanish version so the message is in Spanish, it translates more or less to this:
the installation programm will end (shut down), possibly some files may remain in your system. To install Myst Exile later, please insert disc again and follow instructions.

The CD is clean, brandnew, and my drive reads everything else, so it can´t be that, or can it?

mell32

Reply 4 of 5, by Dr. Riptide

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually I have seen brand new drives have problems reading certain disks, mostly because of copy protection.
This will sound odd, but, are you running antivirus software? If so, disable it temporarily. I have gotten blue screens of death from installers because of Norton AV.

BTW, sorry about my poor choice of words; I couldn't remember if the option was "typical" or "minimal" or what so I just used the first thing that came to mind.

Intel Q6600 (2.4 GHz) | 4GB RAM | GeForce 8800 GT | Windows 7 64-bit

Reply 5 of 5, by Banquo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If the above advice does not work try

-running the installer in Windows 98 compatibility mode.
-installing the game from a different CD-ROM drive if you have one.
-check in the event viewer to see if there are any details about the error.