VOGONS

First post, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've had this card for a while. You can get in on eBay quite easily. It has a chip on the back-side, quite unique.

I could never get it working, the Creative drivers refuse to install with this card. It's not supported. Turns out it's an OEM card for Dell / Alienware.

I can't remember who, but someone posted a link recently to driver downloads from Alienware. Turns out they have the full installation files from the CD for download.

I tried it out today, documented it all, made an ISO and hosting it on my website. Will also get it uploaded to the Vogons driver archive.

The disc has all the programs. Install from there, then do the web update, and you are fully set.

Link to the page for this card: http://www.philscomputerlab.com/x-fi-sb0770-d … enware-oem.html

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 1 of 11, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Either I'm mistaking the purpose behind a datasheet, or Creative is wrong in thinking a NDA product flyer counts as a datasheet:
SB0770 Datasheet
I think the CA0112? chip on the back is for UAA support, I can't see what the chip is clearly.

It did have this valuable piece of information though!

SoundBlaster X-Fi has received the *cough* prestigious THX (whom we own) Multimedia Certification award,
making it the perfect choice for PC audiophiles seeking the "very best" music and movie experiences.

😁

[edit]
Be sure to keep it a secret, as this information is confidential! even though the same product was released to the public two years prior. Shhhhhhh!

Reply 2 of 11, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Use the Daniel_K drivers, the Creative ones are useless even for the retail cards! http://danielkawakami.blogspot.com/2015/07/sb … rt-pack-34.html

The SB0770 looks like a transition product. It has UAA and similar built-in I/O to what the later PCIe X-Fis have, but is still PCI. One big con is that it is not compatible with the X-Fi drivebay or external breakout boxes like the rest of the PCI cards are.

Reply 4 of 11, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

Why would they have wanted UAA X-Fi badly enough to build this card?

So they wouldn't have to quickly write drivers for it to work in windows vista on the oem built machines?
I read Creative outsources their driver writing, but I need to find that info again.

Reply 5 of 11, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NJRoadfan wrote:

Use the Daniel_K drivers, the Creative ones are useless even for the retail cards! http://danielkawakami.blogspot.com/2015/07/sb … rt-pack-34.html

I'm aware of these, but never had to use them. But then I'm looking at this cards for use in a Windows XP gaming machine. For Vista+ I'd go with a Z.

EDIT: I've also got a SB0670, which seems to be a HP OEM version. But this one installs fine with the web driver from Creative.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 8 of 11, by Swampy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I worked for Dell/Alienware few years ago and I still have the card and CD.

x-fi.jpg
Filename
x-fi.jpg
File size
246.36 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

EDIT: Yes, the UAA (Intel HD Audio) was a requirement from Microsoft.

From Wiki:

"In Windows Vista, the Windows Logo program requirements state that any machine shipped with Vista must include a UAA-compliant audio device that works without additional drivers."

EDIT 2:

I think the card has only 16 MB X-RAM. But I am not sure.

Reply 10 of 11, by Swampy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, it is 2MB. I remember 16 something..but it was Megabits 😀

Phil's card is missing the Dell part number and the layout is slightly different than mine. Notice the PCI connector and the front panel connector. It may have other internal differences.The Dell part number is WW202. His PCB is from week 36/2007 mine 44/2008.

Reply 11 of 11, by tyuper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Another necroposting, but it's important for me to sort out the problem with this card when it's running in modern systems, where PCI bus can be only provided with third-party bridge chip.

Details: Something Modern: PCI soundcards with PCI-to-PCIe bridge chips?

Anyone, who still have this card and motherboard with ASM1083/ASM1085 chip - may I ask you to do the test how it will work with ASMedia bridge implementation on your board? Test have to be done on Windows, because ALSA in Linux runs this card in UAA mode, which works perfectly fine, but EMU20K1/CA20K1 chip is not used then at all. Windows version can be 7, 8.1 or 10 as I found out that issue is independent of it.
X-Fi driver that should be used for test is here http://danielkawakami.blogspot.com/2017/01/sb … rt-pack-40.html

For test run you'll need:
- OS uptime > 15 minutes (test can't be done straight after OS boot, don't ask me why, because it's strange even to me that bug with recording activates itself after some time, usually it's 5 to 10 minutes in my case)
- Audacity
- X-Fi switched to Game Mode
- "What U Hear" selected as default capture device, volume of recording set to 75% / 0.0 dB

1. in Audacity, switch audio host to "Windows WASAPI", make sure that "What U Hear" is selected as recording device, then insert some audio file into it. Start recording (audio file is played and it's captured in new track). Note that it's not required to do recording of all audio, just few seconds.
2. Repeat 5 times (remember to delete recorded track before doing next recording).

Please write down how the test came down! Thank you in advance!