VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am incredibly impressed by the unofficial 3dfx patch for Descent II. This is an amazing-looking (and playing) game for 1996. I'm running it with a Voodoo 3, but I suppose that a Voodoo 1 would look just as good as the patch seems to restrict the resolution to 640x480.

Now I'm really curious about the S3 version. I have what turns out to be a dead Virge card, so I'll be in the market for another. Has anyone compared both versions? I'd be even more impressed if the S3 version were similar to the 3dfx version, given that the S3 can be run from DOS (I can start the 3dfx version only through Windows) and might be able to do 800x600.

(By the way, controls are not an issue when I use my Powerramp Mite gamepad -- essentially a keyboard extension, so you can program six buttons plus the pad without any additional software. Even better with a Hanaho Hotrod SE arcade stick.)

Reply 1 of 9, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The S3 version is not very impressive.

I actually prefer the Rendition version for this game as it has the original cockpit (which the 3dfx version is missing) and much better framerate than the S3 version.

I believe the unofficial 3dfx version can run up to 800x600 (wrong, this is Descent 1 3DFX patch as pointed out by RacoonRider), also it should be able to launch in real DOS mode given you've configured your computer correctly.

EDIT:

Does D2_3DFX support resolutions other than 640x480?

Unfortunately, no. D2_3DFX is hard-coded at 640x480 and cannot be set to anything higher. Also, the cockpit isn't present in D2_3DFX, so all you're left with is the status bar at the bottom of the screen.

Last edited by vetz on 2015-08-04, 07:14. Edited 2 times in total.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 9, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

The S3 version is not very impressive.

I actually prefer the Rendition version for this game as it has the original cockpit (which the 3dfx version is missing) and much better framerate than the S3 version.

I believe the unofficial 3dfx version can run up to 800x600, also it should be able to launch in real DOS mode given you've configured your computer correctly.

As for Descent 1, the unofficial 3dfx patch can run 800x600 even on Voodoo Graphics. That's what the readme file states and it actually works 😀

What does the original cockpit look like?

Reply 3 of 9, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

RacoonRider is correct 😀

Software cockpit (also available in S3 and Rendition accelerated versions):
screen_descent_2_vga.jpg

3DFX cockpit:
file.php?id=135

This is HUD issue that was also seen in other early 3DFX versions, like Whiplash were the HUD is much more detailed in software/Rendition than on 3DFX.

Last edited by vetz on 2015-08-04, 07:07. Edited 2 times in total.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 5 of 9, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:

As for Descent 1, the unofficial 3dfx patch can run 800x600 even on Voodoo Graphics. That's what the readme file states and it actually works 😀

Yep, it does look great, and the framerate is really solid (mostly around 60, rarely drops below 30fps). Only downside is no mouse support, but it feels better using a Joystick anyway.

How's the Descent II patch compared to that one? Except for the cockpit issue. I can live with 640x480 and the missing cockpit.

Never liked D2X-XL. Regardless of other issues, it just doesn't feel right.

Reply 6 of 9, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Funny, I never noticed that the cockpit was replaced with the HUD. I don't know how to test the framerate, but the action seems really smooth to me. I haven't tested the official 3dfx patch (not sure if it works with V3).

Reply 7 of 9, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
boxpressed wrote:

Funny, I never noticed that the cockpit was replaced with the HUD.

Well, there is HUD even in the original Descent II. Press "F3" to toggle the cockpit and "-"/"+" to set the screen area 1-step before maximal.

boxpressed wrote:

I haven't tested the official 3dfx patch (not sure if it works with V3).

It's statically linked, so - Voodoo1/2 with slow CPUs only.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 8 of 9, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RacoonRider wrote:

The game doesn't use z-buffering then. Mechwarrior 2 and a few other games could do 800x600 on Voodoo1 because they took this approach. I can't seem to find a list....

Reply 9 of 9, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

I have a Diamond Stealth II 220 (Rendition Verite V2100), so I installed it to try the Verite version. It wouldn't load from DOS, saying that it could not find a Rendition Verite. This is because the program recognizes only the V1000 and not V2100. I tried Royce Liao's V2DOSFIX, but it didn't work on the D2VERITE.EXE file.

I was able to get the program running by loading it from Windows, but the color is off. Everything has a purplish tinge to it. Still, everything looked very nice, and the framerate was very good. Makes me want to find a V1000. I'd like to use the GUS and can only do so through DOS.