VOGONS

Quake2 + Acebot for DOSBox (128mb)

Topic actions

Reply 501 of 862, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you just get the voodoo 2 mode in everyone could easily test it. And can you please post the entire source code. If you can't figure out voodoo 2 or voodoo 5 at least someone here can peek at it and see the reasons why.

I keep mentioning to setup a repository. It's very easy with Git Gui for windows. I can guide you through this process and then this project can become a forum wide community effort.

Reply 503 of 862, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just join at bitbucket.org and set it up. It's fairly straight forward, they have instructions.

In the mean time can you post the entire source, including mesa and glide? I cannot find this error message in mesa 5.02 or openglide.

Reply 504 of 862, by _ggorts

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can organize those libraries and find all the changes. Thank you for the advice. I now realize there is more work to do since the result is not easily reproduced. I'll post again soon given there is further progress.

Reply 505 of 862, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was able to compile software mesa 5.02 by changing blit.S to use %esp instead of just %es (must be something deprecated) in dj 2.05 and gcc 4.84.

You have to add -fno-strict-aliasing or you going to see a lot of crying about that. Theres a few warnings spit out about unused variables and set but not used, but nothing looked too nuts. You also have to change -mcpu to -mtune in the makefile and I set it to default ot pentium code generation instead of K6.

Last edited by Maraakate on 2015-08-15, 09:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 506 of 862, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you post everything organized as a 7-zip I will set up the repository for you, then all you have to do from now on is use git gui to merge your changes which is very trivial.

Reply 507 of 862, by _ggorts

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I forgot to mention that the test binary archive included gamex86.dxe. That should be placed in baseq2/.

I appreciate the collaborative spirit. I'll try to fix some of these bugs first and tidy up the libraries. Do you think there is anyone else on the forum who is willing to test a binary?

Reply 508 of 862, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm sure plenty of people would be willing to test. Not sure how useful they would be at this point in time.

I have a V3 in the closet but currently no hardware to run it.

Only testing I would be able to do would be using emulators.

IIRC PCEM and Bochs support Voodoo as well..

I'm sure with all the retro hardware people we have here there should be plenty of V1,V2,V3 cards.

You'd probably want to open another thread to keep them out of this one and to make it known you want testers.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 510 of 862, by _ggorts

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't have the experience or hardware to make further progress. I also am missing source code from some of the libraries, instead relying on binaries. I hope others continue the effort. I will try to buy a 3dfx card, too, so I can test my previous demo which doesn't yet work.

Reply 512 of 862, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also if you post just what you have, even with binaries it will at least give me a starting point on how to inject mesafx with glide into q2dos and I can clean up the menu issue.

Reply 513 of 862, by _ggorts

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Since the demos failed, I have been trying to identify which modifications are useful. I also don't know why different results are produced, so I should buy real hardware to test with. I will view the prices of Voodoo hardware toward this goal.

However, I'd like to contribute to the community by working on qbism's software renderer. If provided with some documentation, I could attempt to improve it so there is a software renderer with opengl-like features. Perhaps leilei could offer suggestions and help, too. My first idea is to write assembly routines to speedup up the color lighting bottleneck. I look forward to this project and the collaborative help from others.

Reply 514 of 862, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've asked you more than once, can you please just post what you have so I can at least learn from it. And you have also used GPL code and distributed binaries but have not distributed the source or made it available. I am now formally requesting per GPL that you make it available.

It may be as simple as taking your code, fixing up the menu init issues and injecting mesafx with the voodoo 3 or voodoo 5 path to get some kind of result on real hardware that more people would own.

Reply 515 of 862, by _ggorts

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The source code is publicly available (djgpp and mesa) and I provided links in past posts. I'm no longer working on this project, but instead the software renderer, so I look forward to the community's help. I also was unable to fix the menu issue because of my inexperience (I commented out menu code only in q2). However, I will work on the v3/v5 path as you requested. I look forward to tests on real hardware.

I will join the forum again if I find a result.

Reply 516 of 862, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there a specific reason you are not showing me this code? It's not about it being "publicly available". You have completely modified existing GPL code, released binaries for distribution and have not shown us your relevant changes.

Reply 517 of 862, by __ggorts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I quickly put together a patch for q2dos, specifically the ref_gl directory, but it is against the original q2 source code. I was using their renderer, not the one in q2dos. There may be a few other printf statements for tracking functions, but otherwise the demos page fault. There was no working demo, so you will reproduce a page fault with these changes. I'm not a programmer, I only edit existing lines, as your team realized when I was unable to fix basic C statements, such as setting a variable to another variable type. That's why I asked for help and documentation.

The mesa5 code you have already and that I only built from source with the makefile. The glide3 code is also available. I have no the other source code changes that go toward the demo and making the demo function. It's relies on the linux fxmesa code and fxmesa itself, I have no understanding of any of the opengl language, but the error was not in menu init as I thought but may have been the keyb as you thought.

Attachments

• Filename
    q2dos-ref_gl.diff
    File size
    4.65 KiB
    Downloads
    44 downloads
    File comment
    q2dos ref_gl patch
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception