VOGONS

First post, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi folks,

I'm in the process of reviving my 486, an ABit PB-4 motherboard with an AMD DX4. Was a little surprised that it POSTed first time (and of course needed a new CMOS battery). First weird issue I had was that my Trio64 card produced only yellow on the monitor. I got around this by adding my Voodoo 2 card - why on earth would this work as a solution?

Second more irritating issue is that, while I have successfully installed DOS onto my compact flash C drive, it says the operating system is missing. Sys c: works so I'm guessing it's something to do with the boot sector not being recognised on the flash drive. Is this a known issue? I'm happy to switch to a Quantum Fireball if I have to but thought the flash card might be a nice touch (provided there are no performance issued like those that have been reported).

Thanks.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 1 of 6, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For the first question, you are basically passing the video signal through to the Voodoo2 and using the DB-15 connection of that card for output (and degrading the signal quality by doing so). Was the connection loose or anything on the Trio card? For the CF card issue, have you tried running FDISK /MBR ?

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 3 of 6, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The same card has been working absolutely fine on my socket 7 board, with or without the Voodoo. The cable was fine at both ends. It's obviously not a processing issue because the 3DFX hardware isn't being utilised in DOS but, if it's a cable issue, it should persist because the loop through cable uses the same socket on the 2D card, passes it through, and sends it to the output cable. It makes no logical sense really, so I wondered if anyone else had come across a similar thing.

The second point - now I think about it, it's quite possible that, because I let the setup program prepare the disk, that the partition either isn't primary or active so I guess I'll go back to basics and try again. Thanks.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 4 of 6, by Trevize

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If the CF card is bigger than 504 MBytes (and your 486 has an old BIOS) you might have to use a Dynamic Drive Overlay software. Back in 1996 a friend of mine had success using a 2 GB HDD in his 486 (DX2/80) by turning of the 32-bit handling of IDE drives. I wasn't lucky with our 486 back then, I had to use Dynamic Drive Overlay software on my 486, when installing a 1 GB HDD. A similar issue with my 286 +booting from CF was resolved using DDO software.

Reply 5 of 6, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:

For CF card - you have to make 1st partition active - use FDISK utility.

Weird. I checked FDISK and it said the partition was primary and already active. Deleted it and recreated it anyway (I should know better than letting software do something for me), reinstalled DOS and of course it worked.

I have removed the 3DFX card and the S3 is working perfectly fine now, of course. It could only have been a cable issue given the symptoms. Silly.

If the CF card is bigger than 504 MBytes (and your 486 has an old BIOS) you might have to use a Dynamic Drive Overlay software.

Fortunately it's only 256MB - thought I'd go with something era-correct 😊

Reply 6 of 6, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can also use bigger CF cards - I use 8GB one, but only created 500MB partition. I use generic BIOS settings: C:1024, H:16, S:63 and it always works - from 286 to Pentiums.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs