VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 8761 of 52689, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally tested a 486 motherboard with most likely fake cache on it (It sais WRITE BACK on the chips, and they are soldered to he motherboard). I may have made a mistake with trying to change cache settings in the bios, because i think I killed the board by changing BIOS cache settings....very odd.

I booted it up, went into the bios (Phoenix GUI one) and changed cache from Write-through to Write-back.....system immediately froze and won't boot. I cleared CMOS, and tried to boot....NOTHING. no post codes on the ISA diagnostic cards. I'm not sure how I could have killed the board with that one setting. I might try an extended BIOS clear, but I really do think that changing the bios settings killed the board. I pulled the battery, and will try booting tomorrow morning.

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 8762 of 52689, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a 486 board that takes days to fully clear its CMOS memory without a battery, so it could be possible.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 8763 of 52689, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PeterLI wrote:

Last week I bought 2 CT2740s for very cheap. They arrived today and both work 100%. Good alternative to CT1740/CT2230. Especially because they have a volume dial in the rear.

I don't see an OPL chip on them, or OPL logo - did a google image search ... do your cards have anything OPL related?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8764 of 52689, by tokroger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

One nice old VGA-adaptor. This was used in IBM 5160 but it was far gone already. I took the case in the attic and this Trident TVGA8800BR-based card. Don't know if this works but it's nice piece of history none the less 😀

20150823_104011.jpg

20150823_104032.jpg

Reply 8766 of 52689, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Artex wrote:
Nabbed these green-topped beauties for $60 through a local eBay auction. Pins = OK! […]
Show full quote

Nabbed these green-topped beauties for $60 through a local eBay auction. Pins = OK!

em9q6o.jpg

I saw that auction..... 😎

I was mostly interested in the 386to486. If i didn't already have one, I would have bid on it as well. Glad to know a Vogon got it!

Reply 8767 of 52689, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
133MHz wrote:

I have a 486 board that takes days to fully clear its CMOS memory without a battery, so it could be possible.

I fiddled with it this morning. I just think the board is damaged, or the CMOS is as well......I have to SHORT the "reset" pins while clearing CMOS. This works 1 out of 6 tries to boot the system. Also, I can't boot with an ISA card in it...i HAVE to use a VLB card to get to the BIOS screen. Very odd. SInce I bought this board mainly for the RAM, CPU overdrive, and the cooler (It was $15), I don't care much that this board has problems. Interesting seeing the FAKE CACHE chips anyways.

Reply 8768 of 52689, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:
PeterLI wrote:

Last week I bought 2 CT2740s for very cheap. They arrived today and both work 100%. Good alternative to CT1740/CT2230. Especially because they have a volume dial in the rear.

I don't see an OPL chip on them, or OPL logo - did a google image search ... do your cards have anything OPL related?

I'm pretty certain that the CT2740 uses the CT1747 chip, much like the CT2290 and CT2230, which has a Yamaha OPL FM synth core in it.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 8769 of 52689, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:
Robin4 wrote:
keropi wrote:

[...]

that's a 360kb 5.25" floppy controller right?

I think it would do 720KB also... This is one of the later first controllers. But it doesnt have the logic onboard to do 1.2MB and 1.44 High capacity.

really? worths a shot then to try , I happen to have a 720kb 3.5" FDD 🤣
thanks for the info

I know almost for sure, because iam from the 80s.. I remembered it that it also can do 720KB. Only the really first controllers could do 360KB only..
That controller you have there is one of the later low density controllers. But i think it could also work with an 1.44 MB floppy drive in 720KB mode only.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 8771 of 52689, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is that a 2760, and is that tape holding the modules in place?
Nice find though. And boxed. Just great to have as it is "complete" this way.
If it's a 2760, then it's one of the better 32's, and it can bring in some good value.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 8773 of 52689, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:
That sounds great :) […]
Show full quote
oerk wrote:

If you don't mind shipping to Germany and back, I could solder leads to your SIMMs... free of charge of course.

That sounds great 😀

Soldering on simms are beyond my ability as my hands isnt steady enough, I would just create shorts everywhere.

First I need to see that the board is fully functional and read up on what kind of 30pin 1MB modules it likes best.

If you're willing to take me up on that offer, PM me.

Reply 8774 of 52689, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wanted one for a while and this came up at a lower price than the others;
$_57.JPG

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 8775 of 52689, by Tuxality

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Small gift from my girlfriend. 😊 Quite interesting card, it's a shame that it doesn't have fully featured OpenGL ICD. It comes with 8MB VRAM although dxdiag says that it does have approx. 9,5MB VRAM. It's funny that using the slider in Direct3D tab to the "performance" level makes this card to render Matrox Mystique quality graphics or just shitty for short. 😁 To be honest this card is quite better than I expected. Does anybody know if this card originally came only with this weird heatsink? I would love to play more with this card, but it can get too hot even in normal operation...

Attachments

• mpact2.jpg
    Filename
    mpact2.jpg
    File size
    709.37 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Chromatic Research Mpact2 aka STB NITRO/DVD.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8776 of 52689, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tuxality wrote:

Small gift from my girlfriend. 😊 Quite interesting card, it's a shame that it doesn't have fully featured OpenGL ICD. It comes with 8MB VRAM although dxdiag says that it does have approx. 9,5MB VRAM. It's funny that using the slider in Direct3D tab to the "performance" level makes this card to render Matrox Mystique quality graphics or just shitty for short. 😁 To be honest this card is quite better than I expected. Does anybody know if this card originally came only with this weird heatsink? I would love to play more with this card, but it can get too hot even in normal operation...

I once at one point in time owned a STB Systems PCI card that looked quite similar to yours. It had the exact same heatsink design on it's chip, and it got rather hot too. I think that's a 'standard' heatsink for STB Systems video cards in the late `90's.

Reply 8777 of 52689, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PeterLI wrote:

Bought a boxed AWE32 today. Really cheap. Will be at my parents house in NL next month hopefully. I will probably keep it to trade.

I bought one of these new in 1995. No longer have it 😐

YI517M552_662875c9-aeb1-467b-947e-5fc380f02620_large.jpg

But today I bought this! I found this in a local paper for a tenner and am collecting in Wednesday. Can't wait to see what's inside. I've read that some Packard Bells had 3DFX hardware built in, is that right? Then again it's just as likely to be a heap of crap but look! It's boxed, it's got a remote control and is apparently running Windows 95 😊

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 8778 of 52689, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

3DFX built in!? And I thought PB couldn't sink any lower. 😜 😉

Hope it works well for you man. We used to have a machine like that where I worked, it was actually pretty decent so far as common Pentium boxes went - at least, it ran Excel 97 and didn't break down. I also used to have that same monitor but some dickhead stole it.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 8779 of 52689, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brassicGamer wrote:

I've read that some Packard Bells had 3DFX hardware built in, is that right?

Yup: http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/v3.htm

It'll be towards the bottom of the page, but yes, there does exist Packard Bells with a V3 bolted on to the motherboard.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt