Common searches

Any Unreal Tournament gamers here?

Topic actions

First post, by brontozaur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

Does anyone here still play UT'99, SP or competitively?
I am planing to build a native Glide machine for it, as this thing was created with Glide in mind.
It is going to be the classic ABIT BX + Maxed out 1.7 GHz Tualatin + Voodoo 5 5500+21' Eizo CRT w 200hz refresh rate.
That will be the best BX machine possible.

Have all the parts, can't wait to do it!

Reply 1 of 38, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd be up for this. The original UT is one of my all time favourites. I think I must have played it on my PIII rig back then, but I just looked up the recommended specs:

Pentium II / K6 300Mhz
64MB RAM
8MB graphics card

So your setup will pretty much murder it. I could probably get away with using my K6-2 rig with Voodoo3 but after seeing what you're doing I'm considering using a BX board instead. I never had a PII before so maybe I should set one up. V3 is the best I can do Glide-wise. It's either that or a Radeon 8500. What do you think would be best?

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 2 of 38, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Still play it occasionally, one of my favourite games.

UT runs well on a Voodoo 2, any V3 should be fine.

The recommended specs is pretty much what I had back then (K6-2 300, 64MB, V2). It was ok, not great. A Slot 1 machine should be better suited.

Reply 4 of 38, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually have a dislike for Pentium IIs. It's a bit irrational but I think it's because it doesn't seem like a 'proper' CPU generation. Pentium, yes. Pentium III, yes. I think it's the only CPU I never wanted to own although I accidentally inherited a couple recently. I reckon the slot has a lot to do with it.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 6 of 38, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

One of my all time favorite too. I see it as the perfect FPS game. Never surpassed by any FPS game up to today.
Not even UT-4 look like it's going to make it.
I play UT99 on weekly basis. Some times every 3'rd day, if I have built a new retro rig.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 7 of 38, by dunz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I haven't played in years, but I used to play it a lot in my youth, I wasn't even half bad either, we had a clan and everything.
I think I still have the GOTY edition 2 disc pack of it even.
It's certainly one of the games I'll be playing on the Q4 1998 machine I'm planning.

Linux administrator by day, man who enjoys old hardware by night.

Reply 8 of 38, by dunz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Used to play it on my familys 266MHz P II at the time, it ran really well even though it just had 48MB RAM and an ATI Rage 8MB.

Linux administrator by day, man who enjoys old hardware by night.

Reply 9 of 38, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I love Unreal Tournament. I've been playing it since it first came out, and to me it beats Quake 3 (it's big rival) in every respect; replayability, maps, weapons, game modes, game mods (though admittedly after a while I stopped trying Q3 mods, so maybe later Q3 mods were better than UT's), everything. I still play it regularly, and I have a ton of maps installed, and lots of mods and mutators, such as XMaps, Soul Harvest, Weapons Factory, Unreal Fortress, etc.

I mostly play offline, as the bots are so great, but I have played online a few times. But I like to use various mods and mutators, which are almost impossible to find being used online, plus often the online players I encounter are *extremely* good, and

I didn't like Unreal Tournament 2003, nor did I like Unreal Championship (original XBox), which is what UT 2003 was based on. Unreal Tournament 2004 is a lot better, but not as good as the original UT, and I thought that Unreal Tournament 3 was very disappointing (and how could they even think that trying to add a real war story to a serious of arena matches would make sense?). Unreal Championship 2 (original XBox) is fantastic, it's nothing at all like he first Unreal Championship (nothing like any Unreal Tournament game, either), and really should have been ported to the PC. In some ways, I think that UC2 is the best Unreal game, but overall I'd say that the original Unreal Tournament is the best Unreal game.

brostenen wrote:

One of my all time favorite too. I see it as the perfect FPS game. Never surpassed by any FPS game up to today.

On the PC, I'd agree. But to me Perfect Dark (N64, XBox 360) is the best arena based shooter (plus it has a real, and very good single player campaign). Note that I mean Perfect Dark, of course, and not Perfect Dark Zero.

Reply 10 of 38, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's been a while since I've last played, but UT99 is a favorite of mine. I even played online a bit in 2011/2012. I'll admit though, the dodging controls haven't really held up well, and I like UT4's "quick dodge" function. Still, it probably has the best weapons of any UT game overall, and the sheer variety of maps, mutators, game modes, character skins, and mods is astounding.

Reply 12 of 38, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never played this game at release and got it only this year. I wanted to run it with my S3 Savage 2000 using the MeTaL API and high-res textures. It looked great on a P3-866. I want to bench it on a KT133A / Athlon XP 2400+ system that I'd built since then to see how the card scales.

Reply 13 of 38, by brontozaur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
brassicGamer wrote:
I'd be up for this. The original UT is one of my all time favourites. I think I must have played it on my PIII rig back then, bu […]
Show full quote

I'd be up for this. The original UT is one of my all time favourites. I think I must have played it on my PIII rig back then, but I just looked up the recommended specs:

Pentium II / K6 300Mhz
64MB RAM
8MB graphics card

So your setup will pretty much murder it. I could probably get away with using my K6-2 rig with Voodoo3 but after seeing what you're doing I'm considering using a BX board instead. I never had a PII before so maybe I should set one up. V3 is the best I can do Glide-wise. It's either that or a Radeon 8500. What do you think would be best?

The absolute best, if you want to keep BX, is Geforce 5950 ultra or Radeon 9700 Pro. Both were the last cards for the old type AGP slot that went with BX/PIII.
If you want native glide, it's 3dfx v5500.

Reply 14 of 38, by brontozaur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow looks like we have quite a few people who love classic UT:) Yes, it is perfect indeed. Honestly better graphics would spoil the game for me. You don't need it.
Maybe we should all have our own server for those who play with pre-historic hardware:) I currently play it on my GTX980, but always wanted to go back to CRT (input lag wise) and 3dfx.
The only problem I see is that v5500 is not gonna make use of my 200hz refresh rate. But it has to be 3dfx+440BX for me, I'll try to squeeze the max out of it. Legendary stuff.

ps does anyone play at Multiplay :: Public DM #13 (Deck16 - All Weapons)? This gives me the best ping out of all public servers. And it's usually packed

Reply 15 of 38, by Vyothric

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I used to play UT a lot. I actually built a computer to play it on myself fairly recently. I still had my Barton 3200 so I built a system around that.

Apart from a bit of iCTF, I haven't really got back into it though. I used to play mostly DM on servers with the translocator and there don't seem to be any of those around now.

Used to record some videos, but of the few surviving ones I have most are low quality/have audio sync problems. Pretty much the only half-decent ones I have left are these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj-ZC29IdDQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0x41rwCUXg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSMwTiNRwSE

I still have all (I think) my old demo recordings of matches so perhaps one day I'll record some of them.

Mastodon | YouTube

Reply 16 of 38, by sacri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I still play it.

Also I assimilated my son to play it with me and few bots. I have few working retro rigs from p2, tualatin to c2d and all of those run unreal, ut99, ut2oo3 in win98.

Occasionally I also participate 'retro lan party' where we play old quakes and ut. This is still epic fun. Pun intended.

This summer I'm thinking to take one of the low end win98 rig to Assembly summer. Last summer there was a retro lan section where ppl had quake 1 dm.

Reply 17 of 38, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

😊 😊 During UT99 days, I would skip class, just to play this game.
Spend thousand of hours gaming on LAN.

Ahh.... pure nostalgia.... 😎

If there's a server online for any vogons to hop on and play, I wouldn't mind building a P3 with my Voodoo2, coupled with Win98 just for this game. 😎 😎

Reply 19 of 38, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I played UT99 facing worlds map quite a bit over the years but it has been quite a while since I tried that.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software