VOGONS

Common searches

0.62 bugs overview

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Many people have posted problems with 0.62

if your bug is on the following list: don't report it.
the stuff in parentises is the current status of the DOSBox development team on the matter.

1. DOSBox Crashes if I press ctrl-f1 (fixed)
2. User definable fonts don't work. Reported by jal (Fixed)
3. Drive_iso won't compile under gcc 2.95 (Fixed ?)
4. Drive_iso has trouble with long volume labels (fixed)
5. Labels on cdrom are flawed. ( improved/fixed)
6. Device nul can be closed! this causes crashes if the device chain (internally) is traversed afterwards. (as the destruction of device nul takes it's instance of the nul device in the chain as well(Rewrote entire devices code. Bug fixed )

"work around"
1. set in dosbox.conf output=overlay
2. use .61
3. submit patches with headers needed
4. none
5. none
6. none

If you feel something is missing reply to this topic. I will update the list and delete your report.

Last edited by Qbix on 2004-10-17, 16:17. Edited 4 times in total.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 1 of 46, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello DosBox Fellas, theres is something i'd like to report about 0.62. Whenever i try to play a game in full screen mode, the games take only a half of the screen, while they where really full on 0.61. Tried every possible video configuration, but none of them worked. Thanks.

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 3 of 46, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Qbix wrote:

2. User definable fonts don't work. Reported by jal ( try to confirm bug)

"work around"
2. use .61 (and tell us which programs!!)

I have a small test program, but in this forum I can't attach files (why is that, it seems to be possible in the other DOSbox forums?). If you can supply an e-mail address I can send it to you.

JAL

Reply 7 of 46, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

we're considering it. that's why i created this thread to locate all apparant bugs.

could you test if a different version of sdl (say the 0.61 one) helps for your double buffer slowness ?

Reply 9 of 46, by ike

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was playing Discworld with DOSBox 061, and with 062 everything is okay except one: when i go to new location, or just new screen shows there is a small graphic glitch, it looks like screen is drawing twice or something, you got to see it, its hard to explain here...

Reply 11 of 46, by Magamo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As with 0.61, on Slackware Linux 10.0, running X11R6.7.0, with an MGA G550, I'm still seeing a segfault when I try and use overlay support, and DosBox keeps falling back to surface when I try and use opengl or openglnb.

If you need a backtrace on that overlay problem, I'll run a search through the forum to the last time I posted about this, and try and get one for you.

When I load up opengl or openglnb support, I get this error:
SDL:OPENGL:No support for texturesize of 1024, falling back to surface

Maybe I should do a spot of research into how the SDL package for Slackware is compiled.... But, considering the fact that I have seen other SDL-based OpenGL programs run quite happily, I fail to see how that will help.

Reply 12 of 46, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Magamo wrote:
As with 0.61, on Slackware Linux 10.0, running X11R6.7.0, with an MGA G550, I'm still seeing a segfault when I try and use overl […]
Show full quote

As with 0.61, on Slackware Linux 10.0, running X11R6.7.0, with an MGA G550, I'm still seeing a segfault when I try and use overlay support, and DosBox keeps falling back to surface when I try and use opengl or openglnb.

If you need a backtrace on that overlay problem, I'll run a search through the forum to the last time I posted about this, and try and get one for you.

When I load up opengl or openglnb support, I get this error:
SDL:OPENGL:No support for texturesize of 1024, falling back to surface

Maybe I should do a spot of research into how the SDL package for Slackware is compiled.... But, considering the fact that I have seen other SDL-based OpenGL programs run quite happily, I fail to see how that will help.

As for the overlay problem: Which scaler are you using? Does it happen instantly or when switching graphics modes? Are video players (like xine, mplayer) able to play videos using the "Xv" output method? Are they working when you compile them yourself?

Regarding OpenGL: Your hardware simply doesn't allow it. Other games have (in a certain way) lower requirements than dosbox, that's why they work. You can try setting fullresolution to 800x600 for example (I assume you are using fullfixed?), that should work.

Reply 13 of 46, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Qbix wrote:

you can attach files now at this forum.

Ok, here's the testprogram. In DOSbox 0.61 it works fine (you'll see the correct Polish accents like ą, ś and ć. In DOSbox 0.62 the "original" value of the characters are displayed. I attached two screen dumps as well. Note that this program uses standard 256 character mode, not the extended 512 character mode (that didn't work correctly in 0.61 either).

JAL

Attachments

• Filename
    bug062.zip
    File size
    13.02 KiB
    Downloads
    145 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 14 of 46, by Magamo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Re: Overlay. I'm using the normal2x scaler. Dosbox segfaults when it attempts to display anything to the screen (after executing the [autoexec] section) Yes, xawtv, xine, and mplayer all work just fine with my card's BES, and Xv overlay. and I compile mplayer and xawtv myself.

Re: OpenGL

Not using fullfixed, and I tried setting that down to 800x600 anyway. No change, no effect, still gives the same 'no support for texturesize of 1024, falling back to surface' error.

I always start dosbox in a window, then switch to full screen when I feel the need.

Reply 15 of 46, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well could you to compile dosbox yourself and see where it segfaults with gdb ?
just compile dosbox

gdb dosbox
run
when it crashes

bt
and post the results here.

Reply 16 of 46, by Magamo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 16384 (LWP 15146)]
Normal_8_32 (src=0x979ad20 "") at render_templates.h:61
61 dst[x]=pixel;LC[0][x]=pixel;
(gdb) bt
#0 Normal_8_32 (src=0x979ad20 "") at render_templates.h:61
#1 0x080e2132 in VGA_DrawPart (lines=0) at vga_draw.cpp:191
#2 0x080dc596 in PIC_RunQueue () at pic.cpp:357
#3 0x0804e2b5 in Normal_Loop () at dosbox.cpp:123
#4 0x0804d6e6 in DOSBOX_RunMachine () at dosbox.cpp:170
#5 0x0804e63e in CALLBACK_Idle () at callback.cpp:66
#6 0x0811347d in INT16_Handler () at bios_keyboard.cpp:382
#7 0x0804e33c in Normal_Loop () at dosbox.cpp:127
#8 0x0804d6e6 in DOSBOX_RunMachine () at dosbox.cpp:170
#9 0x0804e7b8 in CALLBACK_RunRealInt (intnum=22 '\026') at callback.cpp:102
#10 0x080b85e8 in device_CON::Read (this=0x9bd8ae8,
data=0xbfffe175 "M\001@èÄ\001", size=0xbfffe0de) at dev_con.h:63
#11 0x080bac87 in DOS_ReadFile (entry=0, data=0x979ad20 "", amount=0xbfffe29e)
at dos_files.cpp:267
#12 0x0811d612 in DOS_Shell::InputCommand (this=0x9beae78, line=0xbfffe330 "")
at shell_misc.cpp:56
#13 0x08119636 in DOS_Shell::Run (this=0x9beae78) at shell.cpp:199
#14 0x0811a2a3 in SHELL_Init () at shell.cpp:397
#15 0x08116d0a in Config::StartUp (this=0x979ad20) at setup.cpp:327
#16 0x080f789a in main (argc=158969120, argv=0x979ad20) at sdlmain.cpp:1109

There's my backtrace. Looks as though it's the same culprit from back when I reported about this on April 19th of this year.

Any ideas? Could it be SDL, or my DRI drivers? *sighs* DosBOX itself?

Reply 17 of 46, by Guest

User metadata

I'm running Slackware 10.0 and seeing some differences between 0.61 and 0.62. I have an athlon xp 2500+
Any game that works in 640x480 resolution has problems with sound.
in 0.61, on my computer with frame skip of 6, they work very well, but in 0.62 the sound is jumpy even with frame skip of 10.
It's especially obvious in both gateway games. They're movies run in 320x200 and work flawlessly, but the moment the game continues, the resolution changes to 640x480 and the difference is really noticeable.
I compiled both dosbox version with the same settings and run them with the same configuration.

Reply 18 of 46, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is odd, could have swore it worked before but going back through earlier versions of dosbox it does not.

Ctrl+C and Ctrl+Break do not work at all. Just heart shaped ASCII character showing up.

Ctrl+C is almost a must for proper Dos operation. 😉

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 19 of 46, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know what you mean DosFreak. It should be there but it never was.
I know I want it in DOSBox especially for pause conditions that you are looped into if you forgot to put the CD in.
It never was in DOSBox from anytime that I can tell.
I forget exactly what Qbix said about doing it but I don't remember him saying it was easy to implement.

Btw if I remember correctly...
CTRL+Z = ^Z
and
CTRL+C = ^C
in DOS.

I remember running into them frequently when I used real DOS.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.