VOGONS

First post, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey folks,

does anybody know how to install more than two hard drives in Windows 95? Is it even possible?

I have one 512 MB image containing the OS, a 2 GB image on which I store games and ISO files (90% full), and I want to use an additional small 32 MB image - a comparatively small file that I can use to sync savegames between DOSBox on my desktop PC and my phone (I'm playing Diablo and Might & Magic VI on my PC and on the go), and I'd like to use it as a backup unit should the large 2GB image ever become corrupted (which has happened to me in the past). All three hdd images are mounted correctly in ykhwong's latest build (drives c, d, e), and can be fully accessed in DOS. But when I launch Win95 (boot -l c), drive e doesn't appear in Win95. 😕

I could create a 3GB iso and put everything on this one drive, but I think I remember Win95 splits volumes >2GB into two partitions, so I guess this wouldn't help, right?
So, has anyone managed to install more than two hard drive images? Or is that a restriction in Win95?

Thanks in advance! 😀

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 1 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Dosbox does not support Windows 95. also it doesn't support what you want. Dosbox forks like dosbox-x do though

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Xelasarg wrote:

All three hdd images are mounted correctly in ykhwong's latest build (drives c, d, e), and can be fully accessed in DOS.

Technically, before you run "boot -l c", you're accessing them from DOSBox, not DOS – a subtle distinction. I suspect if you booted MS-DOS off a hard drive image, you'd have the same problem. As suggested by Dominus, you might have to use DOSBox-X, specifically its IDE emulation; if I'm not mistaken, DOSBox-X will also let you use ISOs directly with Windows 95, so you won't have to store them on your hard drive image.

(Also, hard drive images are technically not ISOs – "ISO" refers exclusively to the file system used by CD-ROMs. If anything, they're "imgs".)

If your savegames are small enough, perhaps you can use floppy images? I think DOSBox supports the 2.88 MB capacity.

but I think I remember Win95 splits volumes >2GB into two partitions, so I guess this wouldn't help, right?

The original release of Windows 95 only supports FAT16, and FAT16 does not support partitions larger than 2 GB. Windows 95 OSR2 supports FAT32 and can have much larger partitions. I'm not sure what happens if you try to mount a FAT32 hard drive image in DOSBox.

Reply 3 of 5, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Dominus: I know, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. 😉
@Jorpho: thanks a lot, that was more information than I had hoped for! I was thinking of floppy images, too. Guess I'll do that.

Cheers!

"What's a paladin?!"