VOGONS

Common searches

Is Deus Ex supposed to be so slow in Glide?

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 84, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Depends on the res and the settings (and I gather you are playing the Original DX, not some DRM free or downloaded "modded" version - there are many out there some of which even have texture packs plugged in) but Deus Ex plays fine on my dual Pentium III-550Mhz machine with a Geforce 2 MX400 in 800x600 (the game only uses one CPU though, as far as I know). I know the card is much stronger than a V3, and I didn't play DX when it first came out, I waited 2 years until I bought it, so only have experience of the game on a better GPU, but given your CPU is like 3-4 faster than that PIII-550, I think you shouldn't be having THAT low fps at all, especially in 16-bit colour 640x480.

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 61 of 84, by vogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Iris030380 wrote:

Depends on the res and the settings (and I gather you are playing the Original DX, not some DRM free or downloaded "modded" version - there are many out there some of which even have texture packs plugged in) but Deus Ex plays fine on my dual Pentium III-550Mhz machine with a Geforce 2 MX400 in 800x600 (the game only uses one CPU though, as far as I know). I know the card is much stronger than a V3, and I didn't play DX when it first came out, I waited 2 years until I bought it, so only have experience of the game on a better GPU, but given your CPU is like 3-4 faster than that PIII-550, I think you shouldn't be having THAT low fps at all, especially in 16-bit colour 640x480.

Hi and yes, while I really like GOG and Steam (and I like GOG more than Steam), there is no reason to go digital download if it's not absolutely needed or absolutely easier, at least for non-remastered non-director cut games. And I'm referring to DE GOTY and DE2.

Using a modern system with a moderate to high resolutioion using the original game DE GOTY game files, I would like to know which renderer (doesn't have to be official) would be best?

I think I will end up playing both, however if I were to play DE2 1st, would it spoil DE GOTY?

Also, the unofficial texture mod for DE, it looks good, but is it worth it or does it quickly become a gimmick?

Reply 62 of 84, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also played the demo on a P3 500, in software rendering - the Rage Pro was a bugfest and got weird if you asked it to do more than 2D. It was OK, but sacrifices were made.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 63 of 84, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vogamer wrote:

I would like to know which renderer (doesn't have to be official) would be best?

This:
http://www.kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 65 of 84, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

...some people like cramped consolified games so those people like Deus Ex 2.

It was developers working in a fruity game design monastery, fueled by their previous accidental success, that invoked numerous stupid ideas for changes, including obsessing over stencil shadows and lighting that crippled game area size and complexity. 😀 It wasn't the XBox.

Reply 66 of 84, by vogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Davros wrote:
vogamer wrote:

I would like to know which renderer (doesn't have to be official) would be best?

This:
http://www.kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/

F2bnp wrote:

I personally prefer DXGLR.

Thx for the replies, the responses come down to DXGLR and D3D10DRV, does anyone care to post why each is better than the other? Also, if it makes a difference, I want to play the game first without texture mods. Thx.

Reply 68 of 84, by vogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

DXGLR's a little less crufty by default (i.e. doesn't do the gratuitous shaders and fov changing) so that's a tad better for a purist experience.

Thx for the info. I want the best experience with minimal hassle, then additional hurdles will be considered for their advantages. It sounds like DXGLR might provide the best experience whether or not I'm using the texture mods? Also, of course I'll look into this, however other opinions help.

Reply 69 of 84, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:
DosFreak wrote:

...some people like cramped consolified games so those people like Deus Ex 2.

It was developers working in a fruity game design monastery, fueled by their previous accidental success, that invoked numerous stupid ideas for changes, including obsessing over stencil shadows and lighting that crippled game area size and complexity. 😀 It wasn't the XBox.

It was the XBOX. The HUD, the inventory system, the fact that every single weapon used the SAME kind of ammo, from flamethrowers to pistols...

...it WAS the XBOX, and the casual demographic the game was targeted at.

Tom Hall, Spector, Romero and the guys at Ion Storm knew very well how to deal with their previous success. They were all master game makers.

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 70 of 84, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Iris030380 wrote:

It was the XBOX. The HUD, the inventory system, the fact that every single weapon used the SAME kind of ammo, from flamethrowers to pistols...

...it WAS the XBOX, and the casual demographic the game was targeted at.

Tom Hall, Spector, Romero and the guys at Ion Storm knew very well how to deal with their previous success. They were all master game makers.

Nah. Harvey Smith and Warren Spector have talked about how they messed up Invisible War. The Xbox is at fault only in that it for some reason caused these guys to come up with some really dumb ideas. Though I doubt the shadows+lighting thing was a result of Xbox.

Reply 73 of 84, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Let me resuscitate this, it's the detailed textures option, it kills FPS hard on period correct system, i went from 24\29 to 40 stable by disabling that option, it kinda pisses me off.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 74 of 84, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

no, that'd be about fillrate (is there multi-texturing?) and detail textures cut off after a certain distance. A period correct system running Deus Ex chokes the CPU on the unrealscript processing (floating stuff in water, birds and rats, npcs patrolling and interacting, all in a big place) on top of the brute force rendering methods UnrealEngine1 does that don't give video driver optimizations much leeway (like software volumetric fog).

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 75 of 84, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2023-02-07, 22:06:

no, that'd be about fillrate (is there multi-texturing?) and detail textures cut off after a certain distance. A period correct system running Deus Ex chokes the CPU on the unrealscript processing (floating stuff in water, birds and rats, npcs patrolling and interacting, all in a big place) on top of the brute force rendering methods UnrealEngine1 does that don't give video driver optimizations much leeway (like software volumetric fog).

Well i hope my next step to see if i can run deus ex on a period machine with a framerate of 40-60 is gonna be the last one.
I got a willamette system with a 1.6 P4 and i will add a geforce 2 GTS in it, from personal experience i can't see any difference between glide and D3D with the latest patch and i can't find an in-depth comparison between the 2 APIs in the game, so i don't care much about glide in this case.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 76 of 84, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only real big visual difference are the detail texture layers (GlideDrv has one layer, D3DDrv has more than that), the gamma control (GlideDrv has hardware gamma, D3DDrv alters textures), and "Precaching"

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 77 of 84, by H3llR4iser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Keeping this alive...is there any major difference between "vanilla" DeusEx and the GOTY edition in terms of performance? I see people here saying it chugs on a Pentium 4, but I remember very clearly, without doubt, that I played the whole thing start to finish on a K6-2/500 with a Savage4GT 8MB back when the game came out; The performance wasn't anything worthy of setting the Earth on fire, but it was playable by the standards of the time (anything ~20fps was "playable", above 30 you were golden). Of course, this was mid-late 2000ish so the game would've been the initial release, not the GOTY edition - and I think I was running it at 640x480x16, this was before LCD screens when you could still use lower resolutions without the picture looking like a smudgy, smeared mess.

I remember it all clearly 'cause it was a specific moment in my life - just out of school, first job (as a web developer), very little money. I actually still had a K6-233 on a standard Intel TX430 motherboard, I literally hacked the SuperSocket 7 platform together out of parts scavenged from obsolete PCs a company in our office building put out in the common area "free to a good home" (read: avoiding having to pay for proper disposal 😁 ). A few months later, I actually went out and splurged a salary (maybe more...) on an AthlonXP 1800+ with a GeForce 2Ti; However I remember specifically faffing around with the METAL driver on DeusEx, and I never ran the Savage4 on the Socket A platform.

Reply 78 of 84, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Initial Deus Ex did have a much older D3DDrv that would get patched (...in later 2000, not necessarily for GOTY). Apart from that, GOTY has slightly earlier revisions of levels by accident

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 79 of 84, by tobiasrieper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, so I'm running Deus Ex, latest official patch and getting around 34-49 fps on liberty Island. On average it hovers at 44. I use a Voodoo 3 3000 on a Coppermine PIII 1ghz, 512mb of RAM With Win98se.

Runs really well in Glide although I can only use 16 bit colour depth. Does anyone have a Voodoo with 32 bit colour depth and can show me a comparison with 16 and 32 bit?
I want to know if its worth getting a Voodoo 4500. Cheers 😀