VOGONS

Reply 720 of 3172, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thoughts are with you! Take your time! This is an amazing project, but your overall health is what matters most! Get well soon!

Let me know (or the community) if there's anything we can do for you! 😎

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 723 of 3172, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery, shock__! This is a cool project; hopefully you'll be able to get back to working on it soon. 😎

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 724 of 3172, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey Shock__ take all the time you need to recover. This project can wait, in my eyes your well-being is way more important than anything else. Take care of yourself and don't hesitate to ask for help if you need anything.

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 725 of 3172, by wbc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

+1 to all, hope that you will recover and the project won't throwed in a trashbag. 😉

by the way, I started to code a simple Interwave mixer, but due of heavy summer demoscene-marathon (which is going now and can't stop 🤣) this project was temporarily postponed (hope I will complete it)

--wbcbz7

Reply 726 of 3172, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Life's crazy sometimes and I wish you the best and hope you recover well. I kind of understand when something is so interesting you just want to spend time with it and it sort of just eats your energy. The problem with hobbies is that you can put whatever time you have at hand to them, but at work someone would force you to work only about 8 hours per day (depends on legislation of course). I turned my electronics/programming hobby into a career so it has cut down how much I do it at home 😀
It is not always easy to find balance between things.

You have pretty amazing electronics skills and with the level of effort you put into your hobby projects I think you could be successful whatever you decide to put your mind to.

(Feel free to PM if you want to ask about what I just wrote, or about anything, whether it be electronics, life, balance, work, studies)

Reply 727 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks a lot for all the positive and supportive feedback guys. It really helps.
Luckily for now I've been almost completely clear from the paranoid/semi-psychotic stuffs for a week now with the depressive parts showing a bit more which is not the nicest feeling in the world, but on the positive side I'm at least seeing those now and want to get them out of my life, so that's better than constantly pushing them aside.

Maybe with a little luck I might be able to resume the project sooner than I thought, but let's wait for the appointments on monday (checking [part of] the physical health of mine) and another appointment some time later (checking the mental health side - which usually has quite some waiting time).

I'll keep you updated.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 729 of 3172, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey shock__, sorry to hear you've come across some tough times. You're a great contributor to this community with a wealth of knowledge, and this project is awesome. I've already got a GUS Classic but I can always appreciate a good reverse engineering effort. 😀
If you're ever in my neck of the woods I'd buy you a beer.
Maybe even two, but that would be it.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 730 of 3172, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Shock...I'll PM as well, but just want to know how you're doing, as I'm sure a lot of others on here are too. I hope life is going better and you're doing well! Let us know if there's anything we can do for you.

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 732 of 3172, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Take your time and a vacation from the project. This is a hobby that requires patience and I'd assume that most of us can wait a very long time if need be.

Reply 733 of 3172, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

its too bad the original poster chose to use photobucket instead of just attaching the original pic as a file attachment on the vogons site itself!
cant see a pic of what he was talking about

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 734 of 3172, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chrisNova777 wrote:

its too bad the original poster chose to use photobucket instead of just attaching the original pic as a file attachment on the vogons site itself!
cant see a pic of what he was talking about

To be fair, attaching photos on VOGONS was (what I consider) broken for a period of several months, um, several months ago (they could be attached but thumbnails weren't being generated), so many people got in the habit of using Imgur, ImageShack, Photobucket, etc. and are still trying to get back in the habit of attaching them directly here.

Furthermore, the pic in the original first post in this thread is still present on Photobucket if you follow the link, dunno why you can't see it...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 736 of 3172, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The original links are working fine for me on Opera, Chrome, and IE. Make sure your Flash, and Java are up to date and see if online security is blocking information from certain sites. That's about the only advice I can come up with at the moment if you cant view the original links.

Reply 737 of 3172, by pietja

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just registered here after finding this topic because I always wanted a GUS but was never able to get one.
I really like the design you made shock and I hope you get well soon.

As for me I realize I'm too late for the donations but if you ever need someone to build and test a prototype I think I can help.
Soldering and designing SMD stuff is something I do for a job and I have a couple of vintage computers to test with.

Reply 738 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just a small and long overdue update.

Last monday was my appointment with the doc regarding what happened in July. No meds required, but I got the recommendation to visit a psychologist (which was my initial plan anyways ... with them saying "naaah, better visit a psychiatrist first to make sure it's not organic") and the address for early recognition of potential psychiatric diseases (to complete rule out I'm sick in the head ... or confirm and be able to take action before another reaction happens).

Meanwhile, I got a smaller job in the local university - fixing their collection of old computers (with the SOL-20 [1977] being the oldest patient and an IBM PS/2 portable [1991 I think] being the most modern one) so that's good too.

Related to the project: Last weekend was the "Vintage Computing Festival Berlin" where I did show parts of the ARGUS effort. Didn't exactly have the most interesting booth, as I jumped in as a replacement in the last second and there were folks who had multiple PDP8 machines running or DIY-computers from the 80's doing speech synthesis and the like, while I showed the devolution of the GUS PnP to the PCA761AW card and printouts of the ARGUS design going from a 1:1 clone of the PCA to the proposed ARGUS prototype. But hey ... I was approached by someone in his late 60s/early 70s from Las Vegas whose first question was what samplerate the card was capable of ... I bet he expected 2600Hz as an answer (can you guess who? Quite a prominent hacker) 😉

So yeah - expecting to carry on with the project some time soon this year.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 739 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

excellent news!!!! thanks for the update shock__ !

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website