VOGONS

First post, by pojo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

Having trouble with my soundcard in Win98 and DOS. It's a SB16 CT2740, and the drivers for it was installed during Win98 setup. It's listed in device manager as "Creative Sound Blaster 16 Plug and Play". It's on IRQ 5, DMA 1/5.

For MIDI I use a Roland SC-7 connected to game port. I have tried just using Soundblaster music, and that works ok too. The strange thing is that in some games I've tried I get just some crackling and white noise instead of sound effects?

Games that work OK:

* Doom 2
* Blood
* Warcraft 2
* Transport Tycoon
* Death Rally

Games that don't (music OK, but sfx broken):

* Ignition (Windows version)
* Settlers 2

In "DXDIAG" utitlity, sound effects are OK until it hits 16 bit samples. Then sound crackle there as well.

Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 12, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is a common problem on most Sound Blaster 16 & AWE32 models.

What I've found worked for me, was to disable the high DMA channel (normally channel 5) and to only use the low DMA channel (normally channel 1).
It will still play back 16-bit samples but, using the low DMA channel.

In Windows, you have to manually override your SB16 device manager settings (untick the automatic option) and choose an option that does not have the high DMA channel specified (in my Windows 98 installation, it was basic configuration 0004).

If you're running your games from MS-DOS mode (not the command prompt/DOS window), and you are loading CTCM, then you will have to run Diagnose again and set your sound card to use the low DMA channel.
It should then update your Autoexec.bat & Config.sys files but, you might have to manually edit Dosstart.bat to change your SET BLASTER parameter (where it was previously H5 it must now be H1).
Also check the ctpnp.cfg configuration file that is saved under your C:\Windows folder, since this is what CTCM reads to configure your sound card in DOS.

Last edited by jesolo on 2015-10-04, 20:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 12, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Having the same Problem but only on faster Machines.

Athlon 1.3 Ghz makes Problems.
But the Card works ok in Pentium 200 Mhz.

And i can remember a Problem with my first SB16 on a Pentium75 PC:

I installing OS2 the 16 bit soundtest makes only some sparkling noise.
using the low dma for 16 bit helped.
But the problem was, that the card sit not fully inside the ISA-Slot.
After removing and insert back to the ISA-Slot (two times) the16 Bit DMA working fine.

Reply 3 of 12, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting, haven't experiences this issue at all.

Unfortunately I don't have either of these games mentioned. Pojo do you know of other games for testing?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4 of 12, by pojo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@jesolo: Ah, sounds promising! I will try it and report back.

@philscomputerlab: Come to think of it I think Theme Hospital had the same issue. But you can try Settlers II demo, it should be the same: http://settlers2.net/the-settlers-2/downloads/

The machine is a Pentium III 450, if that matters.

Reply 5 of 12, by pojo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

jesolo: Thanks very much! Sound works in the problematic games now too. 😀 In Device Manager, I chose "base configuration 005" which listed IRQ, I/O range 220, 330, but only DMA 1 (previously DMA 5 was listed too).

Also, suddenly I have sound effects in Windows 😉

Reply 7 of 12, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

use a CT4170 instead and everything is fine. I recommend the CT4170 for all retro-machines.
I just found no game with SB-support that did not werk with that card.
As some did a 286-device-manager for dos, I will use it from 286 up to PII.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 8 of 12, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr.zeissler wrote:

use a CT4170 instead and everything is fine. I recommend the CT4170 for all retro-machines.
I just found no game with SB-support that did not werk with that card.
As some did a 286-device-manager for dos, I will use it from 286 up to PII.

The reason why the CT4170 doesn't experience this problem is because, just like the AWE64, it utilises later chipsets.
The crackling noise problem doesn't seem to be a issue with the last batch of Creative ISA cards (I also didn't experience the crackling noise problem on my AWE64).
Only downside of the CT4170 is that it uses Creative's CQM synthesis to emulate the Yamaha OPL3 chip, which some people might not prefer.

Reply 11 of 12, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think it could only be affecting cards with the CT1747 chipset.

Just something that caught my eye when reading this section on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Blaster_1 … _quality_issues
It just so happens that my AWE32 (CT3980) suffers from the same "crackling noise" problem and this card has the CT1747 chipset.

Reply 12 of 12, by fumik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jesolo wrote on 2015-09-30, 19:12:
This is a common problem on most Sound Blaster 16 & AWE32 models. […]
Show full quote

This is a common problem on most Sound Blaster 16 & AWE32 models.

What I've found worked for me, was to disable the high DMA channel (normally channel 5) and to only use the low DMA channel (normally channel 1).
It will still play back 16-bit samples but, using the low DMA channel.

In Windows, you have to manually override your SB16 device manager settings (untick the automatic option) and choose an option that does not have the high DMA channel specified (in my Windows 98 installation, it was basic configuration 0004).

If you're running your games from MS-DOS mode (not the command prompt/DOS window), and you are loading CTCM, then you will have to run Diagnose again and set your sound card to use the low DMA channel.
It should then update your Autoexec.bat & Config.sys files but, you might have to manually edit Dosstart.bat to change your SET BLASTER parameter (where it was previously H5 it must now be H1).
Also check the ctpnp.cfg configuration file that is saved under your C:\Windows folder, since this is what CTCM reads to configure your sound card in DOS.

Thanks to you my old SB16 out of the drawer after almost 30 years has given me another satisfaction! ahah
thanks 😀