VOGONS

First post, by redcage

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all!

Just got back to the old hardware business after mucking around with DOSBOX and decided that nothing beats having the real thing 😜

After reading around the boards, I have managed to obtain a couple of motherboards (A PCCHIPS M598LMR, a Asus P5A and an incoming Asus P5A-B) with a K6-2 500 and a K6-2+450, a few random graphics card, floppy drives, HDD and some RAM.

I have also ordered a An Audician 32+ and managed to obtained a box of random soundcards which included a Soundblaster AWE64.

However I've only 1x ATX PSU at the moment. Initially I wasn't even aware of the -5V (Which the ATX PSU I have does supply).

This all seems to be working all fine and well. I am using the K6 2+ 500 with the AWE64 at the moment.

The other day I bought the ASUS P5A with me to work to try out a couple of old ATX Case lying around in the office. The case had a power supply with it and was previously powering up some Celeron D machine.

When I plugged it in, the machine booted up but then there was a warning message saying that the -5V was not detected (Error). I looked at the motherboard manual and look at the Power supply's 20 pin connector and see that where there should be a -5V pin is indeed missing.

I don't really have any idea as to what this all about but I did some checking, and it was sort of mentioned that the -5V is needed for the ISA bus? The Soundcards I am using are indeed the ISA ones (AWE64 and Yamaha Audician 32+)

Does this mean that the above 2 cards won't work without the -5V or only certain cards need the -5V ?

I have the intention of getting a couple of new ATX PSU, but do I have to ensure that they supply -5V as well?

I hope someone can enlighten me on this!

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 5, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
redcage wrote:

Does this mean that the above 2 cards won't work without the -5V or only certain cards need the -5V?

That is 100% correct 😀

Cards requiring the -5V include:

Roland LAPC-I
Sound Blaster 2.0
Pro Audio Spectrum 16

You can ignore the BIOS warning message. I have a board that also complains and shows -65V or something for the -5V reading.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 5, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
redcage wrote:

Thanks Phil !Awesome videos btw ! Keep up the good work !

Thanks! I'm going nowhere 😀 On the contrary...

Reply 4 of 5, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is the amperage requirement on the -5V rail anything significant? I just noticed that I have a couple of PP-303X Antec supplies (which I will now recap) lying around, and they do have -5V, but the amperage is only 500 mW. That should be plenty for any of my PAS16's, right?

Reply 5 of 5, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Logistics wrote:

Is the amperage requirement on the -5V rail anything significant? I just noticed that I have a couple of PP-303X Antec supplies (which I will now recap) lying around, and they do have -5V, but the amperage is only 500 mW. That should be plenty for any of my PAS16's, right?

Yes.