VOGONS

First post, by Trank

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So im trying to get Aladdin for DOS running on my 9x PC. It needs EMS memory. I've looked all over the internet about EMM386 and config.sys and what not. But no matter what i cant get it working right.

Someone here must know/have a config.sys that has the correct settings for playing DOS games that need EMS.

Attachments

• EMSerror2.jpg
    Filename
    EMSerror2.jpg
    File size
    192.03 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • EMSerror1.jpg
    Filename
    EMSerror1.jpg
    File size
    48.96 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Trank on 2015-10-22, 09:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 40, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some say that 32mb is the limit but for me 16mb was what I had to have my system configured with for it to work.

Dos games and 16mb of ram

Along with other games, It's mentioned in this link by someone that Aladdin has trouble running on systems with over 32mb.

Reply 5 of 40, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I see ...but if you do get ems working with win98 you may still have a problem running Aladdin if you keep more than 16 or 32mb. I wish I had a solution for the EMS problem itself though 😕

Reply 9 of 40, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Aladdin throws two different errors, about XMS and about EMS. XMS error is thrown usually when there is too much memory. EMS error is thrown usually when there is not enough EMS (typically because EMS manager has not been installed).

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 11 of 40, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Perhaps post what your Config.sys looks like.
You can use EMM386.EXE as an expanded memory manager (least compatibility issues).
It should look something like this: DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM D=64 MIN=0
Just to be on the safe side, you can also add the following before the above command: DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF

Reply 16 of 40, by Tuxality

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If it is about XMS allocation error, I don't know if it will work under Windows 9x but under DOS in order to run Aladdin with >32MB RAM you need to use eatxms before running game.

Reply 17 of 40, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What version of Windows are you running? Windows 95, Windows 98 or 98SE?
If the latter, try installing the unofficial Windows 98SE service pack 2.1a.
If you're running Windows 95 with more than 480 MB RAM, then you are going to have problems.
Try reducing the amount of memory that your have installed in the PC.

Reply 18 of 40, by Trank

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah its Win98se with 512mb ram. Ive used msconfig to cap it at 32 or 16mb ram nothing different and i actually used the unofficial pack, but i only did the updates. Ill check that out again.

Reply 19 of 40, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The error you're receiving is because EMM386 was unable to find 64K of contiguous space needed for the expanded memory page frame.
Refer the following link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/75592

You can try to load EMM386.exe with the NOEMS switch (if you don't actually require expanded memory) - you then replace it with the RAM switch.
Or, specify the space frame address to EMM386.exe. For example:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM M9 D=64 MIN=0

where M9 = page frame address E000.

Do you have any network cards installed in the PC? If so, remove the card and see what happens.
As a last resort, check your BIOS settings. You can try disabling BIOS & video shadowing.