VOGONS

First post, by Mod_Man_Extreme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I was messing around with my 386DX40 rig now that I've got it all set up. But, while screwing around with Jazz Jackrabbit's shareware demo off the Epic Pinball CD version I accidentally hit reset instead of my turbo button while selecting the 'No Color' option. Now my system is randomly booting in B&W and I don't know what exactly I did wrong, or how to fix it. Games and applications are still displaying partially in color with some weird B&W areas. But on the times I can get the system to boot in color it's all perfectly fine and as if I had done nothing.

Did I trip some sort of flag on my video card? If so, how can I get it to switch back permanently? I'm really frustrated as this was a seriously nice rig all around. All things aside from my screw up I do not want to be forced to trash it over a simple mistake.

Reply 2 of 3, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a known problem. The original utility to fix this is called smonitor.exe and should be included in autoexec.bat. It hardcodes Trident TVGA 8900 and 9000 cards into color mode.

This might be the file: http://ftp.uma.es/Drivers/TVIDEO/TRIDENT/9750 … OS/SMONITOR.EXE

If this does not work, you can wait until I upload the working one for you from my 386 hard drive 😀

Reply 3 of 3, by Mod_Man_Extreme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you both for the heads up! I'll try that program and report back with results!

So far, the issue hasn't presented itself at all with my LCD, but on all my CRT's it's at random. I'm chalking it up to this chipset's lousy color/monochrome detection circuitry.