Common searches

What do you drive?

Topic actions

First post, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi guys. I'm kind of bored, I like cars, and was wondering what you guys are driving. Here are my rides:

Daily driver: 2000 BMW E46 323ci cabrio (2494 cm3 170hp / 245Nm downtuned to ~155hp / 292Nm for better torque and mileage)

wlbf66Nl.jpg 5VaXjZBl.jpg VVe6rDPl.jpg

Project car: 1990 BMW E30 316i swapped to 325is (M50B25 S1 storked to 2979 cm3 using M54B30 crank, rods and pistons)

94ldLOCl.jpg xWiejszl.jpg
474dcL9l.jpg waWtFEWl.jpg

Last edited by kanecvr on 2015-10-25, 19:07. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 4 of 918, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1990 vw corrado g60 tuned 200hp

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 5 of 918, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^ Need more pictures 🤣

That E30 is badass. Liking the styling on the Buenos Aires metro. And good to see the US gas guzzlers still going, what is that Jeep? 5.7L V8?

2007 BMW 130i (hauling arse to the office car... 3.0 litre I6)
& 2008 Ford Focus 1.8 (child transporting appliance)

27AeQBLl.jpg

Reply 6 of 918, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Currently drive a Saab 9-3 😁

How is that 130i? I'm thinking it is time to replace the Saab and the 1 series looks good.

Previously had a Honda Accord V6-L

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 7 of 918, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

BMW, nice.
I have a 2007 325i Coupe myself.
Ironically enough, it has a similar 'bumpgate' issue that the Xbox 360 and many GPUs from that era, most notably nVidia, also suffer from: the 'MULF' unit for things like Bluetooth tends to die on these because of heat-related cracking in the soldered joints.
I am having mine replaced as we speak. I hope the new one will last.
I didn't expect my car to connect with my other interests in this way 😀

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 8 of 918, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Corrado is a kick-ass car. Drove a 4wd version once myself.

I never drove a 130i. Used to own a 118d - great milage, but very lazy.

@Scali, that's a known issue with the e90 and e60 series... a friend of mine had the exact same problem and after replacing the faulty module, he took the new one apart and added a small BGA VRAM heatsink on the culprit. Hasn't had any more problems with it up to now.

Reply 9 of 918, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yea, the nasty part is that you can't just replace it. It connects to the car's network, and each unit has a unique ID. The main computer needs to be programmed to accept the ID of the MULF unit installed. Only the BMW dealer has the equipment to do that, and they tend to charge a hefty sum for it.
It also means you can't just disconnect it. The computer keeps searching for the unit on the network, which interferes with other stuff as well.

Reply 10 of 918, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 130i is a lot of fun, the engine sounds amazing. Clutch and gearchange are a bit notchy and rear legroom is a joke though.
MULF problems sound like a pain, I have BT & idrive so hoping nothing expensive like that goes wrong.

Reply 11 of 918, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scali wrote:

Yea, the nasty part is that you can't just replace it. It connects to the car's network, and each unit has a unique ID. The main computer needs to be programmed to accept the ID of the MULF unit installed. Only the BMW dealer has the equipment to do that, and they tend to charge a hefty sum for it.
It also means you can't just disconnect it. The computer keeps searching for the unit on the network, which interferes with other stuff as well.

You can do it yourself with BMW Scanner programming interface - the new version that supports the E9x and E6x series. Not very expensive either. Got mine on ebay for 60$.

mwdmeyer wrote:

Currently drive a Saab 9-3 😁

How is that 130i? I'm thinking it is time to replace the Saab and the 1 series looks good.

Previously had a Honda Accord V6-L

I drove my mom's cousins SAAB turbo once - an interesting experience. Didn't like the gearbox, but the engine was a blast. The torque steer was a pain in the ass. Then again, I don't seem to get along well with front wheel drive cards. Never owned one, never will. I did managed to crash two fwd cards - my cousin's Golf 5 GTi and a golf 3 VR6 I wanted to get so I could swap the engine in a 4wd corrado. The both went to a friend who is a VW enthusiast and completed the swap. The resulting 4wd corrado V6 turbo was great fun to drive.

Reply 12 of 918, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Loving the E30! Such a fantastic shape.

BJT - Nice 1 series, must go very well. I miss decent engine noise 😠

I drive around alot for work. I've got a Lemans 2007 BMW E90 320D M-Sport, I've had it remapped some time ago, it needed it. Figures are estimated to be around 190bhp, unsure on tq currently. It's been fantastic and done over 135,000 miles.

It's just had a service and the Air Mass Sensor unit replaced as was developing a hesitation, it now feels like a brand new car. Throttle response is night and day compared what it used to be. Car wants for nothing and has been like that throughout my ownership.

Front_Web2.jpg

My wife drives a Ford S-Max Titanium.

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 14 of 918, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scali wrote:

Even more BMWs 😀
Are we seeing a pattern? Vintage/retrocomputing afficinados prefer BMWs? 😀

I think it's a European thing. In the States you'll find far more Asian small sedans (Toyotas/Hondas/Mazdas) and then the larger American/Asian trucks and SUV's. Of the European brands, you'll likely see Volkswagen more than any other. European sports coupes/saloons are seen as money pits since maintenance by dealerships has historically been very expensive. I used to own a 2001 Audi S4 (B6 body with 2.7 Biturbo V6) but I sold it after the factory warranty ran out after I saw a couple of the maintenance bills.

Reply 15 of 918, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Speaking of American trucks...

bxruAmil.jpg

It's an '03 Ford Ranger. Not really that much more to say, outside of the fact that it got serviced recently.

Last edited by Sutekh94 on 2015-10-26, 15:27. Edited 1 time in total.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 18 of 918, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
QBiN wrote:

I think it's a European thing.

BMW's are luxury cars, and you see cheap Asian cars, Volkswagens, Opels, (European) Fords etc more over here as well.
They're quite expensive to run here as well, although it's probably still considerably cheaper than in the US, because we don't have to import parts from overseas.

Over here, US cars are prohibitively expensive, mostly because of the ridiculous size/weight and fuel consumption of these cars. Our cars are taxed on a combination of weight, CO2-production and type of fuel. And fuel itself is also far more expensive than in the US because of taxes.
This means that US cars can only be run on LPG really, since it's far cheaper than petrol. Downside is that LPG has much higher road tax, so you need to drive a certain amount of miles per year before the savings in fuel cancel out the fixed taxes.

Reply 19 of 918, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When I lived in ZA I drove a BMW 525i and in NL a VW Polo / VW Golf / Lexus LS 400 / Jaguar XJ6 and Lexus LS 400 in chronological order.

I prefer full size sedans. Too bad the Lexus LS 460 is too expensive so I had a Ford Taurus SEL AWD but after having too many issues I bought the Toyota Avalon this year.

I really like V8 power but have a V6 now.

2010-Toyota-Avalon-Limited-01.jpg