VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm curious how many people here celebrate this holiday or it even applies to their culture or country of residence.

There was a pretty big sale on Steam, friend managed to gift me LISA Complete Edition at a 60% discount.

Terraria has a Halloween themed event that lasts from October 20th to November 10th.

I'm pretty sure some of the Unreal community celebrates Halloween in some form or another.

I even finished this cover just in time for Halloween even:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsMWL_GM6a4

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1 of 9, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used to enjoy Halloween when we lived in the midwest. Out here in California, it's basically a non-existent event. What few trick or treaters there are, apparently go to shopping malls or some city organized event somewhere instead of going house to house.
However, from what I gather, I guess it's been losing steam even in the midwest nowadays.
Parents are much more fearful today than they used to be when I was a kid. I think that's why Halloween (at least my perception of what it's "supposed" to be) is dying out. Having your parents tag along would seriously kill the fun of it, I think, except for the youngest kids.

I used to wear a dark costume, sometimes with a mask over my face, and stumble around the neighborhood in the dark with my friends. Apparently people had common sense and drove carefully. But even back then there were the typical scares about "modified" candy supposedly being handed out.

Reply 3 of 9, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shamino wrote:

I used to enjoy Halloween when we lived in the midwest. Out here in California, it's basically a non-existent event. What few trick or treaters there are, apparently go to shopping malls or some city organized event somewhere instead of going house to house.

Yeah, there wasn't very many trick-or-treaters here in my neighbourhood Independence, KS. Though every week before the day of Halloween there's a huge festival downtown, so atleast that was enjoyable.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 4 of 9, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Where I live (WNY) there is always halloween. I never go though. I'd rather go buy marked down candy the next day then freeze my ass off outside.

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 5 of 9, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't had a single kid knock on my door in the several years I've been in my current home.
They still trick or treat in my mom's neighborhood but the trick or treaters get older and older, she tells me she has had college freshmen trick or treating. When i was a kid, 12 or 13 was about the oldest you would go and that was stretching it a bit. You're supposed to be doing other things as a teenager/young adult.

Reply 6 of 9, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's growing in popularity here in Melbourne, Australia. There's lots to like about American culture, but not this particular aspect of it.

I lock the door.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 7 of 9, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's also become popular in Germany in the last years. Since we live in a densely populated street, shortly after 6pm the bell rang every few minutes.
Both smaller kids with at least one adult, I'd agree the oldest where usually at most 12 or 13. Mostly several kids grouped together.
Nice costumes for the most part, and different rhymes/slogans, some quite original.

Reply 8 of 9, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Halloween was made popular in Germany in the last years too to sell stuff. However there is no real tradition for this and while it might be fun for the kids they can as well meet people who don't care or have no relation to this.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 9 of 9, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Isn't "Oktoberfest" the biggest October thing in Germany?

― Κυνικός Δράκων